• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2019 Yamaha 242X E - Should I buy??

Mike Catt

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
My dealer just got a brand new 2019 Yamaha 242X E - I was close to buying a leftover 2018 XE out the door with snap cover, 4 year warranty, galv trailer, and tax at $71,500. Local dealer talked me into getting into a 2019 242x for $76,500 out the door with tax included, snap cover, galv trailer, 5 year warranty, and is including first service, winterization, storing it for winter, and spring start up. What do you guys think about the deal? I’m sure I can do better if I wait for the boat show, but I could use this boat for 2 more months. HELP!!! don’t know what to do. Is this boat worth $76k?!? Seems like a lot of money - Yamaha jacked up MSRP this year to $77,399 plus prep and freight. Appreciate your insight!

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My dealer just got a brand new 2019 Yamaha 242X E - I was close to buying a leftover 2018 XE out the door with snap cover, 4 year warranty, galv trailer, and tax at $71,500. Local dealer talked me into getting into a 2019 242x for $76,500 out the door with tax included, snap cover, galv trailer, 5 year warranty, and is including first service, winterization, storing it for winter, and spring start up. What do you guys think about the deal? I’m sure I can do better if I wait for the boat show, but I could use this boat for 2 more months. HELP!!! don’t know what to do. Is this boat worth $76k?!? Seems like a lot of money - Yamaha jacked up MSRP this year to $77,399 plus prep and freight. Appreciate your insight!
Where things stand nowadays - 76k seems not bad. As OTD.
Not saying these boats should command prices they do, but looking a various models 76k for the X seems like a good price. It would certainly spec for that, when compared to ARs or LSs - between tower/biminis, E-throttles, vinyl upgrades etc.

--

Evildwarf

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
brother, don't over think this....if you can afford it and you want it buy it...
Remember this is a toy...if you don't want to afford it don't buy it.

But if you buy it, drive it like you stole it!

Mike Catt

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Recreational with family friends - not my first boat.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't recall seeing any standard features on a 2019 that would make me want to pay 5K more for a 2019 over a 2018 @swatski what am I missing here? Is the new surf feature an upgraded add on even that could be added to the 2018 for $1K?

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Recreational with family friends - not my first boat.
Sorry - should have been more specific. Are watersports a big part of the picture? Wakeboarding, wakesurfing? The only reason I ask is because, IMO, if that is likely to be a substantial part of what you'll do with the boat it is worth considering a v drive as they can be had in that same price range and many make really nice "all around" boats. If that's more of a side activity (or not at all), then it is probably hard to beat the Yamaha. Prices on all boats just keep going up!

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't recall seeing any standard features on a 2019 that would make me want to pay 5K more for a 2019 over a 2018 @swatski what am I missing here? Is the new surf feature an upgraded add on even that could be added to the 2018 for $1K?
I agree! but the OP did not snatch the 71k 2018 (as I understand the situation) - which would had been a smoking deal, all things considered. Albeit one should be a bit careful with "leftovers" as sometimes those can be "demo" boats, and that in turn can be quite a euphemism!

--

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My boat was sitting for 2 years ( not a demo) before it was purchased as new in 2014. The local dealer took care of all the issues. And apparently there were a few issues.

jocolo21

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
there was no deals at the Orlando boat show this last weekend the x was $80 OTD the 242 se $74.5 but a different dealer is giving me a better deal , hard to pass, i think ill give in, my boat is in great condition but these 242 se are just badass

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
there was no deals at the Orlando boat show this last weekend the x was $80 OTD the 242 se $74.5 but a different dealer is giving me a better deal , hard to pass, i think ill give in, my boat is in great condition but these 242 se are just badass
I agree, those Xs look fantastic.
The only thing is - if you are like me, in this case you are just starting at 80k... lol.
Still needs a mooring cover, trim tabs, fins, L13 cones, clean-up of the ballast, and sound system and, if want to surf behind it, add the wake wedge and swim deck bag... Which becomes another 10k, in a hurry.
At that point (90k) is it really the best decision?

That's how I ended up with the AR (which would had been fantastic if not for the tower, but that's a different story)

--

jocolo21

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
ILL PROBABLY 99% PULL THE TRIGER ON THE 242 SE , DONT WANT TO SURF (LOVE IT) BUT IM BUYING THE BOAT FOR ME NOT FOR THE ENJOYMENT OF OTHERS LOL, WHEN WE SURF I DONT SURF CUZ NONE CAN DRIVE IT AS GOOD AS ME SO IF THEY WANT TO SURF THEY CAN BUY THEIR OWN BOAT.LOL oops sorry for the caps. i got ballast boards evrything i need to surf. i wopuld just buy the surf kit and thats it, but i wont, i will spend the money on a sound system to my liking not the factory installed which i havent heard on the 242x yet with the sound bar. I just hate that i just installed tabs on my boat this week, so in 2 weeks ill be doing the crossing if it works like everyone been saying i will be installing also on my new boat....we will see...

Bajd98

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I agree! but the OP did not snatch the 71k 2018 (as I understand the situation) - which would had been a smoking deal, all things considered. Albeit one should be a bit careful with "leftovers" as sometimes those can be "demo" boats, and that in turn can be quite a euphemism!

--
So would you advise against buying a demo 2018 242x with 15 hours for 68k ?

Mike Catt

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
between the 2018/2019 options I have, there’s about $5k difference. With the 19, I get extra year warranty, all the service and storage for free this year which amounts to $1200 give or take. Really it ends up being about a $3k difference and the dealer is next to my house which is main selling point. If i buy the 2018, i have to travel 2 hours and won’t be able to bring to that dealer if i run into any problems. the 2019 has the salt resistant finishes now on jet pumps and the better reverse which are two good features

Mike Catt

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
So would you advise against buying a demo 2018 242x with 15 hours for 68k ?
Local dealer has 2018X new for $71,500 OTD including sales tax. That’s with a 4 year warranty. I would stay away from that demo not that great of a deal

Bajd98

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
My options for 242xe are a) new 2019 at full msrp. B) demo with 15 hours or less for 68k

Thoughts / advice?

jocolo21

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
i got offered a 2019 242 se for $72.5 OTD the 2018 242 x demo was a bit higher which i thought it was stupid. Has you seen the demo? how many hours condition? remember it is an used boat.

seadude

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
In these "leftover" situations, the money you save now is really mainly the extra depreciation you'll end up losing when you sell it anyway.
Personally, if I was financing it I'd take the savings now on the leftover, if paying cash and can easily afford the extra few thousand, grab that pristine 2019!

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
If i buy the 2018, i have to travel 2 hours and won’t be able to bring to that dealer if i run into any problems.
Why couldn't you bring a Yamaha under warranty to any other Yamaha dealer? Is your local dealer trying to strong arm you? If so doesn't sound like a dealer I'd give my business to. He should stand behind the product he sells.