• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2020 190 FSH Top Speed and RPM

Quayde

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I just purchased a 2020 190 FSH Sport. Followed the owners manual to a T regarding the break in process. Though after that process at WOT the boat will not exceed 29 MPH and tops out at 6800 RPMs. The advertised top speed is 42 at 7400 RPMs. Understanding that weight and other factors such as elevation play a role in achieving this top speed, I think it’s strange that the RPMs won’t exceed 6800. Is there some sort of limiter set in place for the first couple hours of operation, or is there possibly and issue with the boat? Any help would be appreciated.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Where are you located?

First and easier thing to check is to ensure you're getting full travel of the throttle assembly. Inside the engine compartment on the left side of the carpet (if looking at the engine) if the throttle cable and APS. Put the throttle all,the way forward as in WOT and make sure the throttle is hitting the throttle stop and doesn't have a gap or slop.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Put your location into your profile so we can help.

Top speed is a relative term as it can be affected by elevation, wind, current, and load on the boat. Change any of these parameters, and your speed will vary. Case in point, I've seen my speed vary on the same heading on the same run on Lake Tahoe (6200 feet elevation). The difference = wind speed and direction.

Elevation will also greatly affect your top RPM as well. My engines turn a max of about 6200RPM up at Tahoe and that's just a factor of the thinner air at elevation. The standard I read once is about a 3% drop in horsepower for every 1000' elevation gain on a naturally aspired engine. When I run the boat a sea level, or even at 1000' elevation, there's a noticeable difference in power produced.

Maccam26

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just purchased a 2020 190 FSH Sport. Followed the owners manual to a T regarding the break in process. Though after that process at WOT the boat will not exceed 29 MPH and tops out at 6800 RPMs. The advertised top speed is 42 at 7400 RPMs. Understanding that weight and other factors such as elevation play a role in achieving this top speed, I think it’s strange that the RPMs won’t exceed 6800. Is there some sort of limiter set in place for the first couple hours of operation, or is there possibly and issue with the boat? Any help would be appreciated.
I'd bring that to the dealer .. that said, I have a 2019 SX190 and loaded with gas and 2 adults, I get maybe 40 the odd time. 42mph on radar will never happen. I'm at 1,000 ft if that helps.

Quayde

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I'd bring that to the dealer .. that said, I have a 2019 SX190 and loaded with gas and 2 adults, I get maybe 40 the odd time. 42mph on radar will never happen. I'm at 1,000 ft if that helps.
So I discovered the throttle cable needed to be slightly adjusted. I took it out again and was getting 35MPH @7100 RPMs which seems about right for 4500ft in elevation. That’s was at 7am and 32 degrees outside. Thought by the time it warmed up to 60 degrees, I was down to 31 MPH and could only get up to 6900 RPM. Does that much power loss sound normal with that little temperature difference outside? If so, hate to see how it performs in the summer at 110 degrees outside :(

Quayde

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Put your location into your profile so we can help.

Top speed is a relative term as it can be affected by elevation, wind, current, and load on the boat. Change any of these parameters, and your speed will vary. Case in point, I've seen my speed vary on the same heading on the same run on Lake Tahoe (6200 feet elevation). The difference = wind speed and direction.

Elevation will also greatly affect your top RPM as well. My engines turn a max of about 6200RPM up at Tahoe and that's just a factor of the thinner air at elevation. The standard I read once is about a 3% drop in horsepower for every 1000' elevation gain on a naturally aspired engine. When I run the boat a sea level, or even at 1000' elevation, there's a noticeable difference in power produced.
Thanks! I did read an article showing the math for the horsepower loss at elevations. My dealer recommended to swap out the impeller to make up the HP loss due to elevation. Just don’t want to have to spend a ton of money on a brand new boat haha.

chrisinslc

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I discovered the throttle cable needed to be slightly adjusted. I took it out again and was getting 35MPH @7100 RPMs which seems about right for 4500ft in elevation. That’s was at 7am and 32 degrees outside. Thought by the time it warmed up to 60 degrees, I was down to 31 MPH and could only get up to 6900 RPM. Does that much power loss sound normal with that little temperature difference outside? If so, hate to see how it performs in the summer at 110 degrees outside :(
I too live at almost the same elevation as you do. My original speed and RPM were similar to what you are seeing now. In my opinion a dog. I did put a high altitude impeller in minr and it was a sizable increase. I still get about the same top speed as before, but my RPM is about 7,700. When myself, wife, and 3 teenage daughters are onboard I am getting about 32-33 mph at 7,600-7,700 RPM. If it is just my wife and I, I get 35-37 mph at 7,750 RPM. I have also done the ribbon delete and added an aftermarket air filter as well.

chrisinslc

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks! I did read an article showing the math for the horsepower loss at elevations. My dealer recommended to swap out the impeller to make up the HP loss due to elevation. Just don’t want to have to spend a ton of money on a brand new boat haha.
Yamaha will cover the high altitude impeller, no cost to you.