• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2020 195S - Sputters and coughs >3000 RPM's

bknights

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Newbie to boating and jetboats. Just bought a used 2020 195S with 21 hours on it. Had it out a few times with no issues at all. Yesterday, we took it out and after 45 minutes of a slow cruise we tried to kick it up and it started to shudder and cough once it would get at or above 3000 rpms. Checked the clean out port and there was no noticeable problem. Was able to cruise back to my dock at low RPM's with no issues. It is worth noting that the day before we put gas in it but I confirmed with the marina that it was 91 octane. Any thoughts on a possible cause or what to check?

Last edited:

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sounds like a gas issue, maybe water in gas? Just a guess.

bknights

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Thanks for the thought. I would be surprised if that were the case since it was running fine for about 2.5 hours after fill up. And, it runs smoothly below 3000 RPM's.

bknights

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Added Sta-bil 360 Marine to the fuel tank and ran it for about 20 minutes at low rpm's and then tried to push it above 3000 rpms but still experienced problems. Also check the intake area but found no obstructions.

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Have you checked the air filter and all the air intake hoses for loose clamps?

bknights

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Will check those today. Thanks for the recommendation.

bknights

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Have the same boat and similar issue. Here’s what my problem was. Read the thread, the only way I could see issue as it happened was engine compartment open and under load.

Super helpful - thanks for the insight! It's back at the Dealer now and I am awaiting their diagnosis but I will definitely share this with them to see if may be the cause for our boat as well. Much appreciated!

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
this is very unusual situation but I have left salt-away after the engine flush(forgot to rinse with water) and my next outing, it felt like something was stuck in the impeller(vibration)

was gone after 10minutes in and no issues since then.

bknights

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Hey everyone - just wanted to share a final update. It appears that the spark plugs were the culprit. Replaced them (and did an oil change while it was in the shop) and everything seems to be in working order. I was surprised that the spark plugs would've been the problem when the boat had only 28 hours on it.

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Hey everyone - just wanted to share a final update. It appears that the spark plugs were the culprit. Replaced them (and did an oil change while it was in the shop) and everything seems to be in working order. I was surprised that the spark plugs would've been the problem when the boat had only 28 hours on it.
unusual but not impossible... glad you found the issue