• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2020 A-60 trailer hitch anti theft lock

abshelley74

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Just bought a new 2020 Yamaha 212S that has the A-60 trailer hitch. What anti theft device do you all recommend?

Inthrustwetrust

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ya I just bought one of those. I fold the tongue back, remove the big pin that holds that forward, and wrap the safety chains around the folded back tongue and put a padlock through the hole for the pin and through one of the chain links. Breakable but most people around here are just looking to grab something quick as they can and pawn it.

Outnumbered212S

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Just bought a new 2020 Yamaha 212S that has the A-60 trailer hitch. What anti theft device do you all recommend?
I have the same boat and purchased this master lock and the Reese yellow ball.
The yellow Reese is good with securing the trailer in my driveway and the master lock I got mainly because the pin that came with it almost came out one time I pulled it to the marina. So I actually double them up.

Attachments

Markk

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
After having a $10,000 dollar trailer stolen, I can attest that most locks can be removed quickly by thieves. I have the security footage to prove it. I had the Tow-Power lock listed above and a secondary lock. Took them about 45 seconds to defeat.

This style is the most secure I have found. I like them from Ft Knox Locks and S5 Couplers. With these puck style locks it’s easy to key all alike. The steel these locks are made from is thick enough to keep thieves busy cutting for a while.

S5 is a smaller company, but I really like doing business with the owner. Bill Smith (817)312-2050

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Last weekend left my boat/trailer unhooked at the hotel we stayed at while we went to dinner & overnight so the wife could go get morning coffee & donuts. All I did was put the coupler in the locked position & a padlock through the lock pin hole, a cable through both rims with padlock and opened the swing away tongue and took the pin with me. I figured those 3 things will deter most but with the cordless tools of today, anything’s possible. If someone wants it bad enough, no amount of locks are going to stop them. Just don’t make it too easy for them 6C7AB81F-FF4F-4FE0-943E-13C99716B57A.jpeg

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
REESE Towpower 72783 Universal Coupler Lock, Adjustable Storage Security, Heavy-Duty Steel, Yellow and Chrome https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0008FUH46/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_8I9-EbPQ9Q3JY

Plus insurance and video monitoring.
Not picking on you, only chose your post because it had the link to that lock. I was looking at getting the same thing, until I saw this:

I went with pulling the pin for the folding tongue on my trailer, I drop the front of the trailer as far as it will go down and remove the jack handle, and I have a tire "boot" for it when we're gone for long periods of time. Much like @Babin Farms I believe all I'm doing is slowing a thief down enough to consider someone else's stuff, but anyone determined enough is gonna get my boat. That's when the paid-up insurance comes into play.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Not picking on you, only chose your post because it had the link to that lock. I was looking at getting the same thing, until I saw this:

I went with pulling the pin for the folding tongue on my trailer, I drop the front of the trailer as far as it will go down and remove the jack handle, and I have a tire "boot" for it when we're gone for long periods of time. Much like @Babin Farms I believe all I'm doing is slowing a thief down enough to consider someone else's stuff, but anyone determined enough is gonna get my boat. That's when the paid-up insurance comes into play.
DAMN! I knew this was a cheap option, but that's ridiculous. I think I'll start chaining the tongue off as well! Thanks!

Inthrustwetrust

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Insurance is the big one. Any lock has a weak point. You can go down some YouTube rabbit holes, but pretty much any padlock type device is easily defeated. There are a lot of boats in my neighborhood, I’ve been scoping out everyone’s security, vast majority don’t have any locks or anything at all on them. I figure a hitch lock, safety chain padlock, no pin to straighten the tonge, a cheapo cover that hides most the boat, and the camera on garage are enough to motivate anyone shopping to head down the road to the neighbors where they can just back up a truck, hook up, and leave with no locks/noise etc to worry about.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Insurance is the big one. Any lock has a weak point. You can go down some YouTube rabbit holes, but pretty much any padlock type device is easily defeated. There are a lot of boats in my neighborhood, I’ve been scoping out everyone’s security, vast majority don’t have any locks or anything at all on them. I figure a hitch lock, safety chain padlock, no pin to straighten the tonge, a cheapo cover that hides most the boat, and the camera on garage are enough to motivate anyone shopping to head down the road to the neighbors where they can just back up a truck, hook up, and leave with no locks/noise etc to worry about.
Agreed - even with the tongue chained back, I could steal nearly anything I wanted with a flatbed and a winch.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Agreed - even with the tongue chained back, I could steal nearly anything I wanted with a flatbed and a winch.
No mater what you do, if someone want's it bad enough they will get it. 2 minutes with a cordless angle grinder and it will be gone.
Can't be any worse than leaving it wetslipped. Is all they will have to do is hot wire it and it's gone. They will more than likely have done their homework before trying & have a lanyard for the kill switch, know about the cleanout plugs, battery switch and whatever other "device" there may be for not getting going.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
No mater what you do, if someone want's it bad enough they will get it. 2 minutes with a cordless angle grinder and it will be gone.
Can't be any worse than leaving it wetslipped. Is all they will have to do is hot wire it and it's gone. They will more than likely have done their homework before trying & have a lanyard for the kill switch, know about the cleanout plugs, battery switch and whatever other "device" there may be for not getting going.
While I was wiring up the Ride Steady I was thinking of how easy it would be to add a hidden switch to the ignition panel. We live in very low crime area and it sits on a trailer in our yard, but if I ever had to leave it slipped, I would do that for sure!

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
While I was wiring up the Ride Steady I was thinking of how easy it would be to add a hidden switch to the ignition panel. We live in very low crime area and it sits on a trailer in our yard, but if I ever had to leave it slipped, I would do that for sure!
I don't worry about it too much. I hide the keys and kill lanyard, done it that way for years and never had a problem. Bigger things in life to worry about.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
After having a $10,000 dollar trailer stolen, I can attest that most locks can be removed quickly by thieves. I have the security footage to prove it. I had the Tow-Power lock listed above and a secondary lock. Took them about 45 seconds to defeat.

This style is the most secure I have found. I like them from Ft Knox Locks and S5 Couplers. With these puck style locks it’s easy to key all alike. The steel these locks are made from is thick enough to keep thieves busy cutting for a while.

S5 is a smaller company, but I really like doing business with the owner. Bill Smith (817)312-2050
The Ft Knox looks pretty burly!

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Maybe this car alarm could be adapted to a boat trailer ?

Yamahaul

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I have the etrailer hitch lock. super nice. plus i fold my hitch and use the chains to lock it so it cant be folded out. good for the common thief. I can not recall which legnth tho.

Attachments

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
I'm getting this one, with the stainless steel puck lock. Pricey, but it's a beast. I recommend watching the video

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I'm getting this one, with the stainless steel puck lock. Pricey, but it's a beast. I recommend watching the video
Great find!

Rodder77

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I looked at a ton of locks, the yellow ball one comes off with a mini-screwdriver, the masterlock chrome or red one wiggles right off - got it off myself once by wiggling it enough when i didnt have the key. The regular lock ones or pin ones take about 12 seconds with a cordless grinder so like others have said if they want it bad enough they will spend the time and get it. The goal is to make it as difficult as possible for them or make them move on to the next boat thats easier to grab. I ended up going with this beasttly thing. Very heavy duty steal plate (its like a vault) and will take a beating from a sledge hammer, custom safety keys, the lock is protected on the bottom and surrounded by metal plates to prevent someone from snapping it off with a pipe etc. so far so good.
1623443982348.png

California Immobilizer G00101 $95.65 Surge Coupler Lock, For Boat Trailers | Zoro.com