• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2020 AR210 Stiff Steering

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Today, I took the boat out into lake St. Clair to test out all the mods I have been working on. Also all the holes that I drilled and sealed. Everything passed with flying colors.

Unfortunately, as soon as we put the boat in the water the steering was very stiff. To be honest, I haven't been moving the steering wheel much so I am not sure when this started. I checked for debris or if anything is bent in the back and it is not. Everything looks good.

I do have CJS Fins on the boat, so I checked the additional Tie Rod and it is working smooth and vey moveable.

This is occurring while out of the water, in the water at no wake and at WOT. It was very hard to turn the wheel.

Anyone having this issue on this model and year? I saw some other posts regarding similiar on different models.

Any thoughts? Before I would just undue the steering cable at the jet and then check, for both sides and then check the nozzles etc. and go from there.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm wondering if it's just from non-use over winter, and you're freeing up or unsticking some rust that might be setting in. Seems way too early to be having to lube the cables, but if it turns out to be an issue with the cables, you'll have to consider taking a look at what might cause something like that so soon (crack in the sheathing, loose fitting somewhere..?)

I'm also wondering if something might be kinked or routed a bit wonky compared to how it was last season for you, given the things you've done at the helm. Maybe it's as simple as a cable being re-routed, and it's not liking that position as compared to the original placement. I would tend to think it's more in this area that's a likely issue rather than early rust/corrosion issues, since you're in fresh water.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I disconnected steering arms from both buckets and the buckets and the keel spin loose and smooth. I am unable to push or pull on both of the steering cables, so something is binding. The starboard side one the little black cap was slid off, which barely affixes to the end. Not sure where to go or what to do next. Its raining so I don't want to uncover boat yet.

Top picture is Starboard, bottom Port.

20210503_143145.jpg20210503_143149.jpg

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Could be some small piece lodged in there. Not much room at all, but depending on the suspended debris level in the water, some fine silt or something could build up over time, and having it sit over winter seems like the potential for clumping, however small.

Dunno how involved the cable lubing is, I've glanced at the thread periodically, and I know I have it bookmarked for when the time comes for me to have to take action on it. Haven't put my own boat in the water myself, so I'm hoping I'm not facing the same issue. I know for certain that I have a nicely-suspended silt-filled lake that I boat on.

Do you have any lines for your transducers that might be rubbing or hanging up any of the steering cables down under the cleanout tray, or were they moved in that area?

Beyond anything like that, or needing to lube your cables, there doesn't seem to be much more that could affect the simple system they have set up for steering.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Took a look at the back of my boat, what about something binding on the articulating keel? It's got two points, top and bottom (likely bottom, in this case), where something might get caught/stuck. Doesn't seem like that would be enough to cause problems, but that seems like one other area to inspect when you can get eyeballs on it, on the off chance there's something there.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have the steering arms off the buckets and the AK disconnected. The buckets move side to side effortlessly. The AK moves effortlessly. :(

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have the steering arms off the buckets and the AK disconnected. The buckets move side to side effortlessly. The AK moves effortlessly. :(
If the wheel still feels stiff, I'd say the answer would have to be lube.

I say that about a lot of situations though 🤣

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If the wheel still feels stiff, I'd say the answer would have to be lube.

I say that about a lot of situations though 🤣

Its not just stiff, It is very hard to turn. My hands were cramping turning it on the way back in. Not real happy right now.

jetboatjay

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Maybe just stating the obvious, or maybe just a different viewpoint....but could something have slipped into the steering column? Instead of the cables, maybe look to see if the adjustable steering column still moves up and down comfortably or if something got wedged into that baffle. Again, no expert but just a thought.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Great thought. The adjustable steering column moves up and down easily and freely. Tried that on the water several times.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My 2018 does the same. I don’t have time to pull the steering cables so I’ve just lived with it and it’s gotten better than when it first started last season. Extremely frustrating on freshwater boats this new.

There are other threads with suggestions of forcing lube either up or down through the cables. I have only sprayed the jet end of them with silicone a bunch of times.

Edit: missed your link to the cable luber above.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@AZMark Mine is almost undriveable. So I need to do something. No way the Admiral could turn the steering wheel right now.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I’m not sure if you would be able to push or pull on the cables with the jets disconnected either way. I’ve never tried it but I would think the gear ratio avoids this happening or you’d be fighting the thrust at the wheel a lot more if that makes sense.
My prior boat actually had some kind of clutch in the helm to hold the outboard straight when you weren’t trying to turn.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@AZMark Mine is almost undriveable. So I need to do something. No way the Admiral could turn the steering wheel right now.
That’s how mine was the first day. It felt like I might break something but we were 2 hours from home and I was going boating dammit!!!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Sounds like a bad steering cable.....I'd ask the dealer if a 1 year old boat steering cables are covered?

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Julian I just called and I am covered. Unfortunately it could take 2-4 weeks or more, depending on if they can source the parts and I have to leave the boat with them.

Last edited:

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@HangOutdoors You hit on it in your 1st post. The cable assemblies that come in contact with water have to be exercised from time to time.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thinking about lubricating them to see if they can work till the fall then do the warranty work.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Yes the cables will bind up and need replacing from sitting, I have read posts about using a grease gun and a hose with a fitting to lube them do a search because it will usually help until you can get them replaced years ago I would do the other ends of the cables at the helm, remove the cable and hook up a hose with a funnel hanging above it and let penetratingly oil work down the cables via gravity That did work but just temporally. and it is some work to get to the cables maybe if you go from the nozzle end and have the funnel high enough it would do the same thing a lot easier. Also in the future get a base gasket for a toilet those are bees wax put that all over the steering cables where they exit the outer cable and work it up into the outer cables then also put it at all the pivot points for the reverse buckets and the nozzles that wax is great for lubing submerged things and not washing off.

Last edited: