• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2020 FSH 210 engine Shenanigans

Botchco

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
Okay guys. Looking for some advice of what to think and how to deal with these symptons that just popped up this weekend.
1. Symptom 1 - yesterday after running boat from launch to dock ( approx 27 hrs total run time)and leaving it docked fro an hour or so, I went to take the kids tubing. Upon attempting to depart I cranked up the port engine and went to start the starboard engine. However it appeared that the engine was not in neutral position so I adjusted the lever back a bit and when I tried to put it forward back into the neutral slot it was stuck. I ended up having to get in the water and manually push The jet wash deflector up towards the neutral position. Upon doing that I was able to start the engine. As I left the dock all of a sudden my port engine cut out at about 1500 RPM. I quickly Restarted the engine, and let it run for a few seconds before re-engaging the speed control to go forward. At about maybe 3000 RPM I felt a sudden power loss and look down in the port engine had cut out again. I quickly thought to check the clean out As I know from past experience these have to be firmly engaged. I reset the clean out cap and went about restarting the engine. And we were able to travel along probably at about 16 mph till we reach the middle of the lake to let the kids get in the water. I left the engine Idol and again all of a sudden the port engine cut out. It did this a few more times throughout the day even as I checked the hatch in all of the switches to make sure they were functioning properly. Eventually The issue lessened and did not notice it again as we put the boat up for the night.

2 Sympton 2 - today was pretty much a rain out so I decided to bring the boat back to the launch and put it up in storage. Upon starting the boat I crank the Portside engine which fired up perfectly. As I cranked up the starboard engine however immediately the engine alarm came on.I know from experience two weeks after I got the boat and what I’ve read hear this can occur from time. I shut the engine off waited a few seconds start again only to have the alarm again. However I did this three more times and low and behold the alarm goes away. However on One of the restarts as I was sitting there trying to clear the alarm my port engine cut out again.

Sorry for the long winded explanation of the symptoms but I would like any feedback on similar experiences and possible fixes you may have seen or heard of. Thanks in advance.

bolivas

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Okay guys. Looking for some advice of what to think and how to deal with these symptons that just popped up this weekend.
1. Symptom 1 - yesterday after running boat from launch to dock ( approx 27 hrs total run time)and leaving it docked fro an hour or so, I went to take the kids tubing. Upon attempting to depart I cranked up the port engine and went to start the starboard engine. However it appeared that the engine was not in neutral position so I adjusted the lever back a bit and when I tried to put it forward back into the neutral slot it was stuck. I ended up having to get in the water and manually push The jet wash deflector up towards the neutral position. Upon doing that I was able to start the engine. As I left the dock all of a sudden my port engine cut out at about 1500 RPM. I quickly Restarted the engine, and let it run for a few seconds before re-engaging the speed control to go forward. At about maybe 3000 RPM I felt a sudden power loss and look down in the port engine had cut out again. I quickly thought to check the clean out As I know from past experience these have to be firmly engaged. I reset the clean out cap and went about restarting the engine. And we were able to travel along probably at about 16 mph till we reach the middle of the lake to let the kids get in the water. I left the engine Idol and again all of a sudden the port engine cut out. It did this a few more times throughout the day even as I checked the hatch in all of the switches to make sure they were functioning properly. Eventually The issue lessened and did not notice it again as we put the boat up for the night.

2 Sympton 2 - today was pretty much a rain out so I decided to bring the boat back to the launch and put it up in storage. Upon starting the boat I crank the Portside engine which fired up perfectly. As I cranked up the starboard engine however immediately the engine alarm came on.I know from experience two weeks after I got the boat and what I’ve read hear this can occur from time. I shut the engine off waited a few seconds start again only to have the alarm again. However I did this three more times and low and behold the alarm goes away. However on One of the restarts as I was sitting there trying to clear the alarm my port engine cut out again.

Sorry for the long winded explanation of the symptoms but I would like any feedback on similar experiences and possible fixes you may have seen or heard of. Thanks in advance.
Gremlins........ Minus the throttle control getting stuck, it sounds electrical in nature. Any recent mods or maintenance?

Mike Clark

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
With the engines off, I would open the engine cover , have somebody move the throttle levers and watch the throttle linkage, are they both operating the same, is something loose?

Sounds like there is binding somewhere?

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Seeing that it's a 2020 and you had an error thrown, I'd consult the dealer (if close enough). Get it documented at least just in case there's more issues.

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Make sure the hatch over the clean outs is tight, definitely hit a dealer up this should not happen.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Check all connections at the battery. I would take them off, clean, and tighten down. I would also charge up the battery with a charger. If the problem continues after that, go straight to the dealer

Floridaman79

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I had an engine intermittent cut out on my new 2q0 FSH. What I discovered is that the hatch for the clean out plugs the striker was installed too high. The cam bar was adjusted to the highest position but when I lifted the hatch one of the engines would cut out. I drilled new holes for the striker to lower it down about a quarter inch and it adjusts perfectly now.

Frank Marshall

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I may be misunderstanding what you are saying, but if I understand correctly, you're lifting the clean out plug access hatch. If that's the case, the engines are suppose to shut down for safety reasons. See item 12 (Engine Stop Switch)

Floridaman79

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Correct, but mine was killing the engines when the hatch was latched. It had enough play in it to allow the kill switch to engage.

Botchco

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
So I didn't get to reply earlier but, relative to my port engine cutting out, I wanted to let you know that I figured out last week that same thing was happening to me - With the Hatch closed. We started to figure out that it would happen when me or my son would walk over the hatch. I tried adjusting them from the top but ultimately I had to pull the access panel and reset them completely to make sure they had full continuous contact in spite of the flex that might occur when stepping on the Hatch.

@Floridaman79 I don't understand the need to drill new holes? Assuming yours are like mine witch are similar to placement on the attached photo (this is not an FSH but this is how mine are configured)hatch switches.jpg
I just raised the cams by adjusting the set nuts.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I didn't get to reply earlier but, relative to my port engine cutting out, I wanted to let you know that I figured out last week that same thing was happening to me - With the Hatch closed. We started to figure out that it would happen when me or my son would walk over the hatch. I tried adjusting them from the top but ultimately I had to pull the access panel and reset them completely to make sure they had full continuous contact in spite of the flex that might occur when stepping on the Hatch.

@Floridaman79 I don't understand the need to drill new holes? Assuming yours are like mine witch are similar to placement on the attached photo (this is not an FSH but this is how mine are configured)View attachment 123781

Great and that’s a common issue in the older boats.

Floridaman79

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length

@Floridaman79 I don't understand the need to drill new holes? Assuming yours are like mine witch are similar to placement on the attached photo (this is not an FSH but this is how mine are configured)View attachment 123781
My cam was already adjusted to the top so I couldn't move it up any more.

MHBlack

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

I had the same issue with the Port engine cutting out.
I needed to adjust the kill switches on the transom clean out hatch.

I could take some pictures of how it’s done if you like. The movement of the boats Hull was enough to trip the kill switch.
1- my first action was to adjust the latch to see if the cured the problem .... it didn’t.

Floridaman79

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Easy enough to check, just lift up on the hatch with it latched and the engine running and see if it shuts the port engine down.