• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2020 Maiden Voyage 34mph? <SX190>

Jetstream79

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hello, so me and my buddy were finally able to get my 2020 SX190 out for her maiden run. Two adult men about 200lb and at WOT the boat would get to 34. Is this pretty normal for this boat? I didn't expect a speed demon by any means but I see folks talking about 40ish mph. So when we bring the wives should I really expect like upper 28ish mph. I'm hoping there is a sort of break RPM inhibitor or something for breakin purposes? I'm trying not to dislike this boat but I was pretty dissapointed. Conditions were flat, no wind, no bimini, 515ft above sea level, 60% fuel tank. Should I expect a turd with 4+ people? =( Please say it's not so lol

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Did you break it in for a couple hours? Did you check oil level, is it over filled?

Jetstream79

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I ran it for about an hour, I didn’t check the oil. I’ll take a look at it tomorrow. Is it normal for the clean out tube to be full of water?.

msjones144

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yep, cleanout port will have water in it at the same level as outside the boat.

UFfitz56

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Don't worry I am getting similar numbers with my new sx190 as well, but I haven't had a chance to try on flat water without the bimini. I only have 5 hours on it so hoping it opens up a bit still. Disappointing for sure, although I did notice there wasn't much drop off when I had 4 people aboard vs 2. Taking the boat up to Lake Oconee for a week so hope to get more top speed runs in without the bimini, less weight, and calm water. Will keep you posted.

Overall still love the boat! With the wife and the baby I'm rarely able to go WOT anyway...

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
I ran it for about an hour, I didn’t check the oil. I’ll take a look at it tomorrow. Is it normal for the clean out tube to be full of water?.
yeah tubes full of water at the end of the day is normal for these newer boats. Some think it is blow by on the plugs but others (i'm in this camp) think it is backing up the clean out tray drain when you stop. Other ways they could fill are water washing over the swim deck when stopping or swimmers dripping - regardless its a pretty common thing and no one has come up with a negative impact so just empty them at the end of the day and don't worry about it.

Ricks

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
[
Hello, so me and my buddy were finally able to get my 2020 SX190 out for her maiden run. Two adult men about 200lb and at WOT the boat would get to 34. Is this pretty normal for this boat? I didn't expect a speed demon by any means but I see folks talking about 40ish mph. So when we bring the wives should I really expect like upper 28ish mph. I'm hoping there is a sort of break RPM inhibitor or something for breakin purposes? I'm trying not to dislike this boat but I was pretty dissapointed. Conditions were flat, no wind, no bimini, 515ft above sea level, 60% fuel tank. Should I expect a turd with 4+ people? =( Please say it's not so lol
My 2020 FSH 210 was only getting 36 to 38 mph for the first 4 trips. After 10 hours on the water the mph has picked up to 41-43 mph. The fuel was at 30% when I got over 40 Mph. I also read reviews saying my boat would reach 48 mph. Still waiting on that speed. The pros are the boat is still very powerful even with 5 people , two dogs , full cooler and everything else my wife and daughters can stuff in the storage compartments. 😂

Maccam26

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My 2019 SX190 with 100% fuel, 2 adults and 1 child and fairly stocked with paddleboards, grill , porta potti, water, food etc... can always reach 38-40 mph. Alone with less gear I’ve done 41-42. I’m at about 1,000 elevation I believe

Maccam26

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Couple Simple things you or dealer can check is throttle cable adjustment to make sure it’s getting all rpms. Maybe the bucket is causing drag?

obrien19

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Have had my SX190 for a year. 35-36 is really the max speed I have seen, smooth water with out bimini up as well. The new hull of the newer 190 caused the newer boats to lose a few MPH over the previous boats.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Have had my SX190 for a year. 35-36 is really the max speed I have seen, smooth water with out bimini up as well. The new hull of the newer 190 caused the newer boats to lose a few MPH over the previous boats.
Is that really true? I did not know that.

I had a 2015 SX192. It was supercharged and hit 48 (after mods - only me in the boat). Normally with the boat weighted (4 adults, full gas tank, bimini) I'd get 38-42. These engines must rev to get top speed. If your not getting ~7800 rpm than you're either in break-in period or in need of an adjustment or mod. Check my sig for some ideas. Still, a great little boat.

obrien19

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Is that really true? I did not know that.

I had a 2015 SX192. It was supercharged and hit 48 (after mods - only me in the boat). Normally with the boat weighted (4 adults, full gas tank, bimini) I'd get 38-42. These engines must rev to get top speed. If your not getting ~7800 rpm than you're either in break-in period or in need of an adjustment or mod. Check my sig for some ideas. Still, a great little boat.
Yeah, I'm thinking this year I'm going to change spark plugs. Only have about 20 hours on the boat, but last year but ran a decent amount at low idle, probably 3-4k RPMS. Was trying to get the break in ours in before taking the boat on vacation, and was in a canal that was limited to about 10 MPH. I also have the Lucky 13 cone so that could be causing me my top end. Haven't done the ribbon delete yet either.

Maccam26

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hearing some of you only getting sub 35-36 makes me feel really good about getting the rocket of 2019 1.8L motors :oops:. I think there may be something else causing slightly lower speeds but not sure what that would be, so many variables. I GPS verified my boat at 40+ (max i've ever seen 42) frequently but 38-39 i see any outing. Throttle cable adjustment, sealing at the pump, bucket adjustment, altitude, etc... any of those could be sources of lower speed.

Gunner

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
2018 AR190....40 to 42 on average....ideal conditions 44 (once) per GPS. That is with aftermarket air filter and ribbon delete.

Jetstream79

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
2018 AR190....40 to 42 on average....ideal conditions 44 (once) per GPS. That is with aftermarket air filter and ribbon delete.
What air filter did you replace your stock one with? I'm going to delete ribbon and replace the filter this weekend I think.

Gunner

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What air filter did you replace your stock one with? I'm going to delete ribbon and replace the filter this weekend I think.
I got the one that RIVA sells same time I bought the plastic insert for the ribbon delete. It fits in the stock air box. The hardest part on my model of doing the ribbon delete was putting the cover back on the air box..what a PITA...no matter what I do one of the clamps pops off. Finally gave up a used duct tape to seal it.

Jetstream79

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I got the one that RIVA sells same time I bought the plastic insert for the ribbon delete. It fits in the stock air box. The hardest part on my model of doing the ribbon delete was putting the cover back on the air box..what a PITA...no matter what I do one of the clamps pops off. Finally gave up a used duct tape to seal it.
Ok thanks, was it just the 4 bolts to remove on the throttle housing when you removed the ribbon? Pretty easy to pull in and out?

Gunner

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Almost wish I did the KN
I bought it at Island Racing website, I think it was about 115-120 bucks...kinda wish I did the KN filter and removed the air box but it's done now.

Gunner

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok thanks, was it just the 4 bolts to remove on the throttle housing when you removed the ribbon? Pretty easy to pull in and out?
Yes if I recall it was like 8 bolts, couple hoses, maybe an electrical connection...very easy just dont over torque, seriously the air box is the worst part. I think there's a video on it somewhere. Just make sure you dont leave the rubber insert in unless your using the aftermarket sleeve they sell. Just check the forum, my is an 2018 and we have the same engine but who knows if they made any changes in 2 years.

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Just fyi - I don't know all the specifics but there are threads on here claiming that in 2019 forward models the ribbon is part of the intake and you have actually cut it out making it much more a PIA than previous models. Definitely still doable but pay off before was worth it because it was so easy, it could be that the pay off isn't worth the effort in the new models.

Edit: Here is the thread where I first heard of this.