• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2020 Vortex VR 223 questions

macguyver13

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
We just took delivery of our VR 223 and I have some questions after playing with it for a while. Maybe

1. Is the drain plug really the brass screw that requires a giant hex key?
2. It came with 2 soft "drain plugs" but I can't tell what they're supposed to be used for (don't fit in the above mentioned hole).
3. The bimini top doesn't look like it fits at all. We have the ski tower and the part of the top that folds forward over the bow has 2 arms that can't reach the mounting brackets. They are short by 3-4 inches? That's even extended to the longest setting. It looks to me like the mounting brackets were mounted in the wrong position or something like that. Has anyone seen issues in this area? I can't even find a good video or instructions for deploying the top so I can't confirm anything.

Can't wait to get it on the water, but would love some help in figuring these things out.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Hi and :Welcome: to the forum!!!

Drain plug? Brass, have not seen that. Mine are plastic that you turn by hand.
My bimini top was hard to install the first couple time. It is very tight. I install the front half first and then the back. Please post pictures of what you have so far; may be able to help.

Where are you from? Which engines do you have? Is this your first jet boat? Please post pictures. We love pictures.

macguyver13

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
Hi Dean,

Thanks for the quick response. We're in New Hampshire (bought the boat in Billerica, MA). This is the 2020 VR 223 with twin 200HP engines, the ski tower, aluminum trailer, and bimini top. I'm attaching some pics here for clarification.

1. The boat in the garage for the night.
20200701_095522.jpg
2. The drain plug in the boat.
20200701_095844.jpg
3. The drain plug?
20200701_095909.jpg
4. Removed the canvas so you can see the frame. In order for the forward arms (on the left in the pic) to reach the mounting brackets. the top would be very low in the front. Not only that, but the canvas won't allow it to stretch that far.
20200701_095708.jpg
5. If I bring the forward arm up the about the height it should be at, the arm won't reach the bracket (short by a few inches). It's not a matter of tightening because as you can sort of see in pic #4, the joint between the forward and rear arms is already extended to its max without breaking/bending it.
20200701_095742.jpg

Any help greatly appreciated.

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Hi Dean,

Thanks for the quick response. We're in New Hampshire (bought the boat in Billerica, MA). This is the 2020 VR 223 with twin 200HP engines, the ski tower, aluminum trailer, and bimini top. I'm attaching some pics here for clarification.

1. The boat in the garage for the night.
View attachment 124551
2. The drain plug in the boat.
View attachment 124552
3. The drain plug?
View attachment 124553
4. Removed the canvas so you can see the frame. In order for the forward arms (on the left in the pic) to reach the mounting brackets. the top would be very low in the front. Not only that, but the canvas won't allow it to stretch that far.
View attachment 124555
5. If I bring the forward arm up the about the height it should be at, the arm won't reach the bracket (short by a few inches). It's not a matter of tightening because as you can sort of see in pic #4, the joint between the forward and rear arms is already extended to its max without breaking/bending it.
View attachment 124554

Any help greatly appreciated.
How man more slots can that detent button go up, I see at least one. Move up to the next hole and see if it reaches

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
And that's definitely not your drain plug. You should have 2, and they will be up higher on each side of the boat, underneath the swim deck. Have to get down and look. Won't be visible from eye level

macguyver13

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
Moving those detents shortens the pole, not lengthens. It only has those 2 slots and it is extended as far as it can go. I'll go have a look for the drain plug positions. The plugs they gave me are very soft (maybe silicone) and seem like they would just pop out quite easily. However, this is my first boat so maybe they work fine. I'll go have a look. Thanks again.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sharp looking boat!!

Didn't your dealer go through the boat with you before you took possession of it to make sure everything was functioning and you could see how it all worked? The drain plug can just be switched out with a plug from the hardware store with the square head.
Are the soft plugs maybe for the engine bay or ski locker??

Maccam26

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
man beautiful garage setup!! oh yeah and congrats on the boat

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Welcome - very sharp looking boat! Brass plugs are common on I/Os, not sure about that brand of jet boat. On your Bimini, try connecting the one that "won't fit" first, then adjusting the others.

macguyver13

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
Yeah, we went through the boat, but then it started raining pretty good and I wasn't as diligent as I had intended to be. I got to test out the systems, made sure batteries and everything electronic worked, but I probably skipped a few things as we were outside and I just wanted to get out of the rain. Should have taken my time.

The sales guy just told me he is going to come by this afternoon to deliver the starter kit (fenders, fire extinguisher, life jackets, anchor, etc) as they had run out yesterday. Maybe he'll have more answers. I'll post anything I find out just so others have it as a reference.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
And that's definitely not your drain plug. You should have 2, and they will be up higher on each side of the boat, underneath the swim deck. Have to get down and look. Won't be visible from eye level
Our boats only have 1 drain plug.

@macguyver13 I would replace that plug with a more user friendly version.

Below is a picture of mine.
1593622590501.png

Attachments

Last edited:

macguyver13

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
Thanks for the picture. I'm going to go look at mine with yours next to it.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I think you need to loosen (if possible) and slide this piece towards the stern. Comparing with the other picture, it seems that joint is much closer to the tower.

1593628505833.png

macguyver13

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
Yes, I agree. That's exactly what I was thinking last night too, but then I noticed that piece appears to be riveted in place (i.e. it can't slide). Seems to be fixed in place unless anyone can tell me a way to move it that I don't see. The screw on that clamp is just to hold the forearm in place, but there is a rivet keeping it mounted to the arch. Thanks for the feedback, since that's what I was thinking too.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Yes, I agree. That's exactly what I was thinking last night too, but then I noticed that piece appears to be riveted in place (i.e. it can't slide). Seems to be fixed in place unless anyone can tell me a way to move it that I don't see. The screw on that clamp is just to hold the forearm in place, but there is a rivet keeping it mounted to the arch. Thanks for the feedback, since that's what I was thinking too.
Are both pieces on either side the same distance? @Dean P could you measure yours? it almost seems like it was meant to slide and maybe the rivets are to keep it attached but it's just a bit too snug? Before hitting it with a mallet (always my first option) I'd get your dealer involved and ask him wtf.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Here are some measurements for you. Scroll down...

1593632603155.png

It appears you have to move this out.
1593632819876.png

macguyver13

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
Wow, thanks for the measurements. I'm just now seeing this so I'll have to check tomorrow.

The guy from the dealership came to my house today to look at it and he spent 30 minutes trying to figure out how it could work but with no luck. He thinks they may have shipped the wrong hardware from the factory and will talk to the guy in his shop tomorrow to figure out if they need to order a replacement.

We tried everything. Taking the whole top off and reversing it, switching the long/short poles, etc. Thinking maybe someone assembled it incorrectly, but no luck. The actual canvas has a tag that says it's for Chaparral 223 or 243, but the hardware doesn't say anything. I'm hoping for some good news about a mix up at the factory and a new top, but for the first few outings we'll have no shade.

Thanks all for your help. I'll post anything I find out later.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Wow, thanks for the measurements. I'm just now seeing this so I'll have to check tomorrow.

The guy from the dealership came to my house today to look at it and he spent 30 minutes trying to figure out how it could work but with no luck. He thinks they may have shipped the wrong hardware from the factory and will talk to the guy in his shop tomorrow to figure out if they need to order a replacement.

We tried everything. Taking the whole top off and reversing it, switching the long/short poles, etc. Thinking maybe someone assembled it incorrectly, but no luck. The actual canvas has a tag that says it's for Chaparral 223 or 243, but the hardware doesn't say anything. I'm hoping for some good news about a mix up at the factory and a new top, but for the first few outings we'll have no shade.

Thanks all for your help. I'll post anything I find out later.
I too flipped it around but if you think about it it makes sense. Your 2 short poles lean towards the bow, you must get these to lean towards the stern. To do that disconnect the (2) 21" poles and the (2) short poles leaving the center attached. Then stretch out the pole I pointed to in previous post and reconnect the 21" poles followed by the (2) short poles. Very important, don't forget to have a beer when finished.

waternutt

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
In case they did not get answered...

1. My 2016 243 drain plug is a hard plastic threaded plug that installs by hand. Drain plug It appears your plate is brass/metal, so I would look to get a different plug.

2. Did not see a picture of your 2 soft "drain plugs" but I assume they are drain plugs for some of the lockers. I have a drain in my bow step locker and the locker under the port seat.