• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2021 212SD: 3 Drain Plugs? What gives?

Mully262

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SD
Boat Length
Question for ya:
I got a 2021 212SD in December. During the walkthrough with the dealer, he pointed out three drain plugs: The tradition one on the transom; one in the engine compartment in front of the engines, and one in the ski locker. The dealer said all 3 should be closed while the boat is in use.

My question. Why? And more importantly, do I close the other two drain plugs while in operation?? I would think that I would only close the traditional drain plug, and the other two stay open to assist water in flowing to the rear to the bilge pump. The only logical use I can see for the other 2 is in the event I am storing the boat, uncovered, outside, with the traditional drainplug close. If it rains, it would pool the water away from the engines.

What am I missing here??

Thanks!

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I only leave the final plug at the transom closed when underway - I like all the spillage from filling bags in the ski locker and the incorrectly sealed anchor locker to go right back to the bilge pump.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Question for ya:
I got a 2021 212SD in December. During the walkthrough with the dealer, he pointed out three drain plugs: The tradition one on the transom; one in the engine compartment in front of the engines, and one in the ski locker. The dealer said all 3 should be closed while the boat is in use.

My question. Why? And more importantly, do I close the other two drain plugs while in operation?? I would think that I would only close the traditional drain plug, and the other two stay open to assist water in flowing to the rear to the bilge pump. The only logical use I can see for the other 2 is in the event I am storing the boat, uncovered, outside, with the traditional drainplug close. If it rains, it would pool the water away from the engines.

What am I missing here??

Thanks!
I have a 2021 212SE, and have 2 in the engine compartment. I can't even reach the one on the bottom. I tried yesterday, it's a PIA. I'm with you, what gives?

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I have a 2021 212SE, and have 2 in the engine compartment. I can't even reach the one on the bottom. I tried yesterday, it's a PIA. I'm with you, what gives?
Just leave it out. Yamaha is compartmentalizing to prevent the boat from sinking or motor from being damaged if you would take a huge wave over the bow or your ski locker bag bursts - but I've never worried about that too much. I've always thought if my bilge can't keep up, i've got two super bilge pumps i can plug in that I use for filling ballast bags.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Just leave it out. Yamaha is compartmentalizing to prevent the boat from sinking or motor from being damaged if you would take a huge wave over the bow or your ski locker bag bursts - but I've never worried about that too much. I've always thought if my bilge can't keep up, i've got two super bilge pumps i can plug in that I use for filling ballast bags.
Sounds good...no ballasts on my boat, and I don't plan on being offshore