• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2021 252SE Yamaha Cover vs. Custom Cover

ComingInHot

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
When we ordered our 252SE back in August we also ordered and paid for ($1,200) a 2 piece snap on cover because we plan on wet slipping. The boat was delivered in September and the dealer has been storing it for the long Ohio winter. Since there is no forecasted delivery of the Yamaha cover I have an appointment to have a custom cover made at a local Amish shop at the end of June. It would be a 2 piece snap on cover made of Sunbrella, cost $600 and take a week to make.

We have a plan for the Admiral to make a temporary one piece cover to use until we are able to get either the Yamaha cover or the custom cover. It will be cumbersome to use but functional.

So I'm looking for input on what to do ... wait for the Yamaha cover to appear some day and cancel my appointment for a custom cover, or cancel the Yamaha cover and go with the custom cover? This tarp shop has a first class reputation in our area and has a waiting list of about 4 months. This is our first Yamaha so I'm not sure about the quality of a Yamaha cover as compared to a custom Sunbrella cover.

Thanks in advance for any input!!

foozed

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
$600 for a custom, Amish Sunbrella cover sounds like a steal. I would pick that over any Yamaha cover because it will last much longer.

I have a different model and asked for a price on a Sunbrella mooring cover here locally and was given a price of $2500.

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Does the 252SE come with preinstalled snaps for a 2 piece cover to attach to?

Dixemon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I think the material that the Yamaha cover is made of is overpriced if you ask me. I think a lot of the cost is because of the custom fit. Other than that I doubt I will get 2 years out of it. I have Sunbrella umbrellas that have lasted over 5 years on my patio, with it extended all year long!

Jimmers

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have a SX240, just had a new snap on cover made. $975.00. I had my guy make it a one piece, the zipper was a hassle and it was the first area to rip. We either take the whole cover off or just the cabin cover off and tuck the rest of it under the bow cover. I also had them make it 8-10” longer with a sleeve off the back. It is my intention to shove a plastic pole through the sleeve to keep it weighted and cover the back end. We keep the boat on a lift and snapping down the cover on the back is a hassle well, I have fallen in the water several times backing up from the boat to the dock while trying to snap down the cover.

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Who installed the snaps to attach the cover to?

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
Do the custom cover for sure. The material that commercial sewing uses for the yanaha covers sux. I just had a custom cover made for my boat. If you dont want the regular snaps then check out the link to my post below. I had white composite snaps put on the boat so they blend in. Its regular snaps on the cover but white on the boat side.

Jimmers

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We live in northern Minnesota so the boat doesn’t get into the puddle until mid-late May and right now it’s covered in snow! I will be installing the snaps myself, kinda concerned about how to do that but I am fairly handy so I hope it goes well. I did have them make this cover two inches wider with edging reinforcement than the last one I had. Also had it made out of a different material, they said that it was a better quality material than the one they sold me the last time and it wouldn’t tear/rip. Time will tell!

Sonic Blue

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Who installed the snaps to attach the cover to?
I have a snap cover coming for my 252SD. Cover coming as material only. Dealer technician will install snaps on the boat, then line up the cover and carefully install snaps one by one, properly stretching cover as he/she goes. I watched the process on YouTube somewhere too. Doesn’t look difficult....but having someone with experience doing it is reassuring to me

Danrich

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
FYI I just talked to JetBoatPilot. The cover for my 252SD was scheduled to come in on the 27th but I just got a call back and Yamaha pushed the date indefinitely :( she told me to call back in a couple weeks to see if there an updated delivery date. Has anyone else had any luck find 3rd parties making custom covers for the 25ft boats?

Skyhawk223

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252S
Boat Length
Ugh. I have an outstanding cover order with JBP as well...

flyingnugget

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I think the material that the Yamaha cover is made of is overpriced if you ask me. I think a lot of the cost is because of the custom fit. Other than that I doubt I will get 2 years out of it. I have Sunbrella umbrellas that have lasted over 5 years on my patio, with it extended all year long!
I agree the sunbrella material is far superior than the Yamaha material but, I swear by 303 Fabric Guard. I had my original black yamaha mooring cover, 2014 242LS, till last year. and the only reason i bought a new one was the plastic snaps to connect the sections broke and i had no way to repair it. i probably could have gotten another 1-2yrs out of the cover.

Washed it every spring and soaked it with a hand pump sprayer with the Fabric guard. That shit is woth every penny.

My Bimini is still original grey and hanging strong. Went to wash it last week and it beeded up so much i dont think the material ever got wet lol. And thats in the GA sun and heat like you. I dont have covered storage.

Butback to the OP getting a custom cover with sunbrella matreail is a no brainer. Would have dropped the cash right there.

Dixiedodger

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212XD
Boat Length
Just got the news my cover is back ordered for another month for my 212xd. The shipping cover is such a pain. Hate to pay for something custom any ideas?

Danrich

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
I ordered a seal skin cover and was planing to cut holes for the tower until my cover came in but luckily the day before it was delivered my Yamaha cover shipped so I returned it. There prices weren’t to bad I think the cover I ordered was $200 which if I could have made it work would have been worth it. Otherwise I was looking at other aftermarket covers that would work for the short term.

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
I have a seal skin cover. I use it for a winter cover only instead of shrink wrapping. I cant imagine using it for a daily cover though. Thats would be a real pia to put on and take off all the time. For a temp cover though until your good cover comes in then it would be fine. I got the best material they had. The 1200 something or other. While the material is thin, it does seem like a quality material and seems like the cover is made well for the price point. For me if i get just 2 seasons out of it then i am at 1/2 the price of shrinkwrap. Seems like ill get longer then that though. The material is waterproof but the cover leaks at all the sewn seams. Nothing substantial though. If i had to buy another one i would. I def felt like i got more than what i paid for. Dont expect the quality of the factory or custome cover though when you are only spending 200-400.

The Mia Fay

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252S
Boat Length
When we ordered our 252SE back in August we also ordered and paid for ($1,200) a 2 piece snap on cover because we plan on wet slipping. The boat was delivered in September and the dealer has been storing it for the long Ohio winter. Since there is no forecasted delivery of the Yamaha cover I have an appointment to have a custom cover made at a local Amish shop at the end of June. It would be a 2 piece snap on cover made of Sunbrella, cost $600 and take a week to make.

We have a plan for the Admiral to make a temporary one piece cover to use until we are able to get either the Yamaha cover or the custom cover. It will be cumbersome to use but functional.

So I'm looking for input on what to do ... wait for the Yamaha cover to appear some day and cancel my appointment for a custom cover, or cancel the Yamaha cover and go with the custom cover? This tarp shop has a first class reputation in our area and has a waiting list of about 4 months. This is our first Yamaha so I'm not sure about the quality of a Yamaha cover as compared to a custom Sunbrella cover.

Thanks in advance for any input!!
This will be my 3rd Yamaha boat this time I am getting a one piece custom mooring cover sunbrella. In the past after a couple of years the front cover would start leaking water near the windshield into the boat.. go with sunbrella. Good luck

Stan M

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252S
Boat Length
I had a snap on custom canvas (2-piece) made for my 252S...Love it! It was $2500. Removed, stored, and reinstalled last weekend for first time and it was a breeze! Go with custom...$900 is a STEAL! And from what I hear, the Yamaha covers are not worth it, and a real pain to put on if you're wetslipping or putting on a lift.