• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2021 255 XE Review

Khalid

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XE
Boat Length
Hi forum.

I’ve been using my 2021 255 XE since late May and I’ve put > 35 hours on the engines. So, it is time to share my thoughts / impressions on new / improved features (I am coming from a 2016 Limited SE).

1) Engine / Speed: This boat is a beast. The acceleration is unbelievable. While cruising at 35 MPH, I open it up and it nearly gives the riders a whiplash as it accelerates to over 50 MPH in no time – even with 6-8 people on board. The $10,000 engine upgrade was money very well spent.

2) Maneuverability: Coming from a 2016 242 Limited SE, I found the low speed maneuverability of the new one amazing! I can effortlessly make 180-degree turns. I often pull up to the surfer to pass the rope by hand. I love showing off as I tie-up to other boats in the cove or when I pick up / drop off at the dock (needless to say, I give all the credit to my captaining skills lol). No ski boat comes anywhere close. Oh, and this is while controlling the 2 engines together (I haven’t found the need to control them separately)

3) Space and functionality: the cockpit feels a lot more spacious than the previous model (6” in length has gone a long way). The cockpit seems wider too. There’s also plenty of storage despite the hard ballast tanks. Walking though the split back seat to the back is seamless (I haven’t used the back seat filler cushion as I often have a lot of people on the boat). The adjustable platform seat are very cool and functional.

4) Surfing, hull and gas mileage: As others have noted, the stock ballast is not enough. I am still experimenting with it by using external ballast. I have been able to generate a surfable wake but the pocket is still small when compared to Surf boats. I will continue messing around with it. Note that the hull sits deeper – to create the wake (and it feels that way inside relative to the 2016). This probably translates to: 1) Worse fuel efficiency. My MPG is sitting at 1! Not very surprising considering the time spent surfing / giving riders whiplash 2) Worse performance in open water: I took my 2016 to the Exhumas a few years ago and it did great despite less than ideal conditions (to put it gently). I am not sure I would take the new one there.

5) Music system: The stock Wetsounds system is great as is (very clean and loud). I love the sound bar.

There are a few items that I will need to have addressed after the season. I have read several posts about the issue others are having and although I agree they’re frustrating Yamaha’s issues seem less severe than what I am seeing others are having with their more expensive boats (I boat on Lake Austin and it is full of new / expensive Nautiques and Malibus). I know 2 people with brand new boats who had issues. One of which, has not been able to use his boats for 2 months. I am glad the couple of issues I have are minor and have not stopped me from using my boat a single weekend:

• My stereo remote coming out from Connext stopped working (I had to hot wire it to the battery).
  • The zipper slider on the Bimini sunroof came off when the zipper opened up while in tow. This should be an easy fix only if finding the same size slider was easy.

Summary: I am very happy with the boat and glad I got it, especially before the recent price increase.

I’ve added a couple of pics: 1) the wake with ~ 400 lbs of ballast on the platform
2) demonstration of the spaciousness of the cockpit :)
3) the number of people you can have on the back platform :)
CD0FBB2C-ED7C-4B44-8052-B93E3EC169DE.jpegAECB2268-AE26-4D2E-9668-B39205CFFDD0.jpeg3DBEBA58-ACE6-4534-9A01-4E99B8B078C3.jpeg
Happy boating!

Last edited:

tkeru408

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
3) Space and functionality: the cockpit feels a lot more spacious than the previous model (6” in length has gone a long way).
Great writeup! I also found the quote above to be very true...I think the 25'models feel a lot more than 6" bigger than the 24' models.

David.Parrish

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Great writeup!
+1 on the great writeup. I have the 255XD, my first boat, and we absolutely love it.

I am curious on your statement that it doesn't handle as well in open water. Obviously I don't have anything to compare it to, but why do you say you don't think you'd take it out in open water?

David.Parrish

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Surfing, hull and gas mileage: As others have noted, the stock ballast is not enough. I am still experimenting with it by using external ballast. I have been able to generate a surfable wake but the pocket is still small when compared to Surf boats.
I'm also curious what settings you have tried/found the best results with the stock ballasts only?

jocolo21

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
You will be surprise at the difference in hull, had a 2019 242se and now the 252se both taken to the bahamas i less than ideal conditions, the 242 does not compares to the way the new hull handles ruff waters, i boat in the ocean all the time since i live in FL, first hand experience, 75hrs on the 2021 already.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
2) Worse performance in open water: I took my 2016 to the Exhumas a few years ago and it did great despite less than ideal conditions (to put it gently). I am not sure I would take the new one there.
Are you just saying this because of fuel efficiency or are you saying it handles rough water worse?

Khalid

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XE
Boat Length
true, could be mpg but a little vague on the description, now that i think about it must be MPG
I meant on how well it will handle the chop in open water. My 2016 sat so high and was able to cut through the waves very well. The new one seems to sit lower and feels bumpier (which makes sense if the hull is designed to sink in the water to create a bigger wake).

just an observation not backed up with measurements or side by side comparison.

Best improvement for open water is the 70 gal fuel tank

Khalid

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XE
Boat Length
+1 on the great writeup. I have the 255XD, my first boat, and we absolutely love it.

I am curious on your statement that it doesn't handle as well in open water. Obviously I don't have anything to compare it to, but why do you say you don't think you'd take it out in open water?
it
I'm also curious what settings you have tried/found the best results with the stock ballasts only?
I fiddled around a bit with the stock ballast and had the best luck with 100% at the surfer side, 80% in the center and near empty on the opposite side.

Khalid

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XE
Boat Length
You will be surprise at the difference in hull, had a 2019 242se and now the 252se both taken to the bahamas i less than ideal conditions, the 242 does not compares to the way the new hull handles ruff waters, i boat in the ocean all the time since i live in FL, first hand experience, 75hrs on the 2021 already.
Thanks for sharing. I’ve only used the new one in lake water (gets a lot of chip from all the surfing boats). So, your statement is more reliable than my hunch.

jocolo21

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I meant on how well it will handle the chop in open water. My 2016 sat so high and was able to cut through the waves very well. The new one seems to sit lower and feels bumpier (which makes sense if the hull is designed to sink in the water to create a bigger wake).

just an observation not backed up with measurements or side by side comparison.

Best improvement for open water is the 70 gal fuel tank
gotcha but actually the front sit way higher than the old model specially at no wake speed when the front lowered, had 07 230 2019 242 and now the 252, you will be very surprised at how well and better it handles, with little or no bounce. it will also depends on the driver ofcourse and you already had experience got to Bahamas, the only problem i would see is getting premium gas out on the bahamas or most marinas. i read about a guy using octane booster while gassing on the water to compesate.

Look at the pic my 2019 never rode this high when at slow speeds

206085029_422701705498063_4285788232651370117_n.jpg

Rod5

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
" the only problem i would see is getting premium gas out on the bahamas or most marinas. i read about a guy using octane booster while gassing on the water to compesate."

Premium gas?? The new boats require higher octane now??

crains

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XE
Boat Length
" the only problem i would see is getting premium gas out on the bahamas or most marinas. i read about a guy using octane booster while gassing on the water to compesate."

Premium gas?? The new boats require higher octane now??
SVHO engines do...

Rod5

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
SVHO engines do...
Oh didn't realize that, yeah most marinas around me are 89 at best. Thanks for clarifying what is the min octane the book says on the 255X?

tkeru408

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Oh didn't realize that, yeah most marinas around me are 89 at best. Thanks for clarifying what is the min octane the book says on the 255X?
Recommends minimum 91 octane per the manual.

Rod5

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Got it thanks!!

jacoviii

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
gotcha but actually the front sit way higher than the old model specially at no wake speed when the front lowered, had 07 230 2019 242 and now the 252, you will be very surprised at how well and better it handles, with little or no bounce. it will also depends on the driver ofcourse and you already had experience got to Bahamas, the only problem i would see is getting premium gas out on the bahamas or most marinas. i read about a guy using octane booster while gassing on the water to compesate.

Look at the pic my 2019 never rode this high when at slow speeds
I have a '18 242Xe so I have not had the chance to rid in a 252 or a 255X. But the 250 and 252 have different hulls at the stern/ transom compared to the 255X. The side chine is removed 14" or so inches before the transom on a 255X. This will greatly effect the lift the hull has. It will also effect how far the boat rolls over on its side in mid to high speed turns. This lift may effect the rid in heavy chop. If this was not a big deal all of Yamaha's 25' boats would have the same hull to cut cost.1629420634079.png
1629421383699.png

Last edited:

Khalid

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XE
Boat Length
I have a '18 242Xe so I have not had the chance to rid in a 252 or a 255X. But the 250 and 252 have different hulls at the stern/ transom compared to the 255X. The side chine is removed 14" or so inches before the transom on a 255X. This will greatly effect the lift the hull has. It will also effect how far the boat rolls over on its side in mid to high speed turns. This lift may effect the rid in heavy chop. If this was not a big deal all of Yamaha's 25' boats would have the same hull to cut cost.View attachment 160993
View attachment 161005
Excellent observation! Here’s my old boat a
Recommends minimum 91 octane per the manual.
This might be a dumb question but I will ask it anyway: won’t the ethanol free gasoline, typically sold at marinas, compensate for the slightly lower grade?

jacoviii

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Excellent observation! Here’s my old boat a

This might be a dumb question but I will ask it anyway: won’t the ethanol free gasoline, typically sold at marinas, compensate for the slightly lower grade?
No boosted motors love alcohol/ ethanol it has a cooling effect that (non) fuel does not.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Hi forum.

I’ve been using my 2021 255 XE since late May and I’ve put > 35 hours on the engines. So, it is time to share my thoughts / impressions on new / improved features (I am coming from a 2016 Limited SE).

1) Engine / Speed: This boat is a beast. The acceleration is unbelievable. While cruising at 35 MPH, I open it up and it nearly gives the riders a whiplash as it accelerates to over 50 MPH in no time – even with 6-8 people on board. The $10,000 engine upgrade was money very well spent.

2) Maneuverability: Coming from a 2016 242 Limited SE, I found the low speed maneuverability of the new one amazing! I can effortlessly make 180-degree turns. I often pull up to the surfer to pass the rope by hand. I love showing off as I tie-up to other boats in the cove or when I pick up / drop off at the dock (needless to say, I give all the credit to my captaining skills lol). No ski boat comes anywhere close. Oh, and this is while controlling the 2 engines together (I haven’t found the need to control them separately)

3) Space and functionality: the cockpit feels a lot more spacious than the previous model (6” in length has gone a long way). The cockpit seems wider too. There’s also plenty of storage despite the hard ballast tanks. Walking though the split back seat to the back is seamless (I haven’t used the back seat filler cushion as I often have a lot of people on the boat). The adjustable platform seat are very cool and functional.

4) Surfing, hull and gas mileage: As others have noted, the stock ballast is not enough. I am still experimenting with it by using external ballast. I have been able to generate a surfable wake but the pocket is still small when compared to Surf boats. I will continue messing around with it. Note that the hull sits deeper – to create the wake (and it feels that way inside relative to the 2016). This probably translates to: 1) Worse fuel efficiency. My MPG is sitting at 1! Not very surprising considering the time spent surfing / giving riders whiplash 2) Worse performance in open water: I took my 2016 to the Exhumas a few years ago and it did great despite less than ideal conditions (to put it gently). I am not sure I would take the new one there.

5) Music system: The stock Wetsounds system is great as is (very clean and loud). I love the sound bar.

There are a few items that I will need to have addressed after the season. I have read several posts about the issue others are having and although I agree they’re frustrating Yamaha’s issues seem less severe than what I am seeing others are having with their more expensive boats (I boat on Lake Austin and it is full of new / expensive Nautiques and Malibus). I know 2 people with brand new boats who had issues. One of which, has not been able to use his boats for 2 months. I am glad the couple of issues I have are minor and have not stopped me from using my boat a single weekend:

• My stereo remote coming out from Connext stopped working (I had to hot wire it to the battery).
  • The zipper slider on the Bimini sunroof came off when the zipper opened up while in tow. This should be an easy fix only if finding the same size slider was easy.

Summary: I am very happy with the boat and glad I got it, especially before the recent price increase.

I’ve added a couple of pics: 1) the wake with ~ 400 lbs of ballast on the platform
2) demonstration of the spaciousness of the cockpit :)
3) the number of people you can have on the back platform :)
View attachment 161004View attachment 161006View attachment 161007
Happy boating!
What a fun looking bunch!