• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2021 Brochure available

shnknapp

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SD
Boat Length

Sean R

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I am trying to back in to the link you posted but can't get it to work. I would like the brochure for the 2020s

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I know it's not, but that sure looks like a turbo!

1600778476568.png

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I know it's not, but that sure looks like a turbo!
Gear driven Centrifugal Supercharger. The compressor side is essentially a turbo, but instead of being driven by hot exhaust gasses like a turbo, it's drive from a gearset on the front of the engine.

Prochargers use the same premise in the automotive world.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Also, Yamaha marketing dept. not doing them any favors as a consideration of a serious surf boat... that wave is so WEAK. 96k for a pocket the size of a square foot... eeeh - might be a lot of 25' wake boats on sale in a couple of years.

1600780502581.png

Last edited:

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Gear driven Centrifugal Supercharger. The compressor side is essentially a turbo, but instead of being driven by hot exhaust gasses like a turbo, it's drive from a gearset on the front of the engine.

Prochargers use the same premise in the automotive world.
Is that new for 2021? I thought Yamaha like to stick with superchargers. I must've missed something.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Is that new for 2021? I thought Yamaha like to stick with superchargers. I must've missed something.
That's exactly what he was saying. It's not a turbo, but a supercharger. Yamaha uses Superchargers in their marine engines. They offered this sort of Supercharger once prior in the Yamaha Apex Snowmobile, which was belt driven. They called it the Yamacharger on the 4-cylinder Apex engine. All third party options for sleds, SXS etc have been Turbos.

Thanks for the explanation 2kwik4u as I can't say that I knew that detail. As I saw the Yamacharger many years ago, and thought the same thing, looks like a Turbo, without all the plumbing, which we had no room for on a sled.

Last edited:

tkeru408

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Disappointing the new 2021 brochure doesn't have the handy comparison chart at the end like the previous brochures did.

shnknapp

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SD
Boat Length
Disappointing the new 2021 brochure doesn't have the handy comparison chart at the end like the previous brochures did.
I noticed that too. I can't fathom why they would leave that out.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
That's exactly what he was saying. It's not a turbo, but a supercharger. Yamaha uses Superchargers in their marine engines. They offered this sort of Supercharger once prior in the Yamaha Apex Snowmobile, which was belt driven. They called it the Yamacharger on the 4-cylinder Apex engine. All third party options for sleds, SXS etc have been Turbos.

Thanks for the explanation 2kwikfu as I can't say that I knew that detail. As I saw the Yamacharger many years ago, and thought the same thing, looks like a Turbo, without all the plumbing, which we had no room for on a sled.
Oh duh, he did write that... LOL

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I noticed that too. I can't fathom why they would leave that out.
Printing is expensive and they have 1000 new model versions to talk about this year?

Jim Davis

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XE
Boat Length
Don't the BRP superchargers have a 200 hour limit before overhaul? Any idea if the Yamaha superchargers are the same?

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not new. Same thing they've been doing for year.

The good part of a turbo is the efficiency of the scroll in the compressor at high RPM's. Here's a compressor map (for some other turbo), but you can see you are getting into the high 70's low 80's for compression efficiency at some places.

1600786058883.png

You read this by looking at the mass flow of air on the x axis, then reading your pressure ratio (14.7psig of boost at sea level is a pressure ratio of 1.0). Where those two points intersect on the graph you can see how efficient your compressor is. More efficiency means it takes less power to turn and has cooler air. And vice-versa.

In a turbo application you are spinning the compressor with a turbine that is run on hot exhaust gasses. This is pretty much one of the closest things to a "free lunch" you can get in engineering. You're using wasted energy ( in the form of hot exhaust gasses) to do work (drive a compressor) in a positive feedback system (more exhaust -> more boost -> more exhaust, etc). The problem with a turbo in the marine environment is Exhaust Gas Temps. EGT's are hard to control and keep at reasonable levels in a normally aspirated condition, and even more so in a turbocharged condition. Despite the HUGE heat sink that is the water the boat is sitting in. Flow rates, packaging, and casting issues would be big hurdles to overcome in turbocharging a marine engine, assuming you wanted long life from it, and plan to run it "on boost" for very long. Honda figured it out some years back in their PWC's that had a turbocharged 4cyl.

SOOOO......A gear driven scroll type compressor is a pretty wise choice for a marine application. The gearset will often outlast the bearings in the compressor and provide very reliable service. The compressor is a high effeciency device in general. Then you also have a TON of lake water to use as a heat sink to cool the hot compressed air back down before shoving it in the engine.

Sorry for the novel, I enjoy this stuff. Should've been a marine powerplant engineer!

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Don't the BRP superchargers have a 200 hour limit before overhaul? Any idea if the Yamaha superchargers are the same?
No rebuilding interval at all.