• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2021 SX210 Stereo upgrade - on a budget

oramac

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Since buying our boat, I've seen thread after thread and post after post about how anemic the factory audio is. Well, I wanted an upgrade that wouldn't break the bank, and I've had good luck with infinity audio upgrades I did in a car a few years back, so I bought some Infiniti marine speakers and an amplifier. The amp is a 4 channel rated at 75w rms, and the speakers match. The total package was $350 for the amp, four speakers, and four-gauge installation kit. The speakers are 6.5", but they fit in the factory cutouts, and the blocks under the helm are a perfect match for the amp's length and width, so it looks like a factory fit. It sounds amazing now, and it satisfies my need for matching audio equipment. Eventually, I'll install a sub as well, but this is a satisfying upgrade for now. An installation video is now live.

IMG_20210312_171141362.jpg

VID_20210313_104503453_exported_75755_1615677327191.jpg

VID_20210313_104503453_exported_159756_1615677370494.jpg

VID_20210313_144707413_exported_0_1615677165608.jpg

Last edited:

shanes17

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nice work!

Did you replace all the existing stock speaker wire or continue using it?

Also, does the SX210 have the head unit at the helm like the AR does?

oramac

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Nice work!

Did you replace all the existing stock speaker wire or continue using it?

Also, does the SX210 have the head unit at the helm like the AR does?
Thanks! I kept the stock wiring, but snipped it at the connector leaving pigtails in case I ever need to return it to stock. The stereos are identical between the SX210 and AR210, so yes, the head unit is at the helm.

shanes17

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks! I kept the stock wiring, but snipped it at the connector leaving pigtails in case I ever need to return it to stock. The stereos are identical between the SX210 and AR210, so yes, the head unit is at the helm.
Makes sense.

Did the stock wiring then go back from the speakers to the Fusion head unit at the stern or to the Connect system at the helm?

Sorry for all the questions. About to tackle a similar project but dont have access to my boat until next weekend.

oramac

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Makes sense.

Did the stock wiring then go back from the speakers to the Fusion head unit at the stern or to the Connect system at the helm?

Sorry for all the questions. About to tackle a similar project but dont have access to my boat until next weekend.
The SX210 and AR210 don't have the Fusion at the stern. They have the Infinity PRV 315.2 head unit at the helm.

shanes17

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The SX210 and AR210 don't have the Fusion at the stern. They have the Infinity PRV 315.2 head unit at the helm.
Thanks, I actually have the AR240 but assumed they had the same configuration.

I’ll have to poke around next weekend when I get it out of winter storage. Trying to get an idea of what to expect.

oramac

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
No installation video this time, though I probably should have documented the process, but I installed a 12" Rockville powered subwoofer tube in the port side aft gunwale.
IMG_20210405_172858089.jpg
It was a bit tedious. I removed the seat cushion and the forward hinge, pulled the batteries, and loosened the starboard in the engine bay to give the clearance needed to slide the sub in place. The tube IS NOT marine grade, but I think that area will stay relatively dry, and since the tube only cost $139 (including the installation wiring), I figured it was worth the gamble. The tube is rated at 300w RMS, and adds excellent depth to the sound. I wanted to try this first before cutting holes in my brand-new boat for a sub. That's a whole different level of commitment. 😂

shanes17

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looks awesome!

Just replaced my stock speakers a week or so ago and added the SXM tuner. About to tackle the tower speakers/amp in the coming weeks.

ABL8R

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This is a great option! I have an AR210 and am just looking into the stereo upgrade process with subwoofer too. thanks for the post!

Just finishing up the dual battery upgrade, so gotta connect something to that extra battery, right?

watdog

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I did a similar upgrade and it looks like you used the Rockville 4 gauge kit too. I went even a little more on the budget side with a Rockville amp but put a marine Bazooka tube under the passenger seat. I did do a video on the install

oramac

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Your video was a bit of my inspiration. Having the SX with two bucket seats, I couldn't mount my tube in the same location you used, and the speakers I purchased didn't require any new cutting. Also, I chose to use my existing wiring to the 6.5" speakers rather than new runs. My fire extinguisher is located on the port side, so I mounted my amp where your extinguisher is. Between your video and mine, no one should have any issues installing their systems on the 2017+ 210 boats. :D

Wrecked Rooster

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Since buying our boat, I've seen thread after thread and post after post about how anemic the factory audio is. Well, I wanted an upgrade that wouldn't break the bank, and I've had good luck with infinity audio upgrades I did in a car a few years back, so I bought some Infiniti marine speakers and an amplifier. The amp is a 4 channel rated at 75w rms, and the speakers match. The total package was $350 for the amp, four speakers, and four-gauge installation kit. The speakers are 6.5", but they fit in the factory cutouts, and the blocks under the helm are a perfect match for the amp's length and width, so it looks like a factory fit. It sounds amazing now, and it satisfies my need for matching audio equipment. Eventually, I'll install a sub as well, but this is a satisfying upgrade for now. An installation video is now live.

View attachment 144211

View attachment 144212

View attachment 144213

View attachment 144214
Thank you for the info and taking the time to post up the video. I have a 2021 AR210 and want to upgrade the sound system. I would like to keep it budget friendly as well. Where did you find this kit for $350? Thanks!

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am following and interested in this as well. We are not big on the big sound that a lot do here, which I will assume is amazing, but need something better than the stock I have for when we do listen to it. Looking for the link to the product.

Wrecked Rooster

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am following and interested in this as well. We are not big on the big sound that a lot do here, which I will assume is amazing, but need something better than the stock I have for when we do listen to it. Looking for the link to the product.
Was able to find the speakers:

and amp:

But it would come out to ~$430

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
For Everything I was hoping to do it for under $1000 so that works out great.

oramac

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I was back and forth between EBay and Amazon for the components. The speakers were cheaper, because they were non-led versions, but they are getting harder to find. Speakers were around $75 a pair, and the amp was $150. The sub tube was $130. Right at $500 total with wiring.

watdog

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thank you for the info and taking the time to post up the video. I have a 2021 AR210 and want to upgrade the sound system. I would like to keep it budget friendly as well. Where did you find this kit for $350? Thanks!
It was not a packaged kit it's just something I threw together. In the description of the video, I have links to where I bought everything. The Bazooka was an eBay buy because I couldn't find it anywhere else.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was thinking about these with the LED, and I am am trying to figure what amp, assuming I would eventually add two more speakers and/or a sub. Since I am wiring everything in the boat right now, it seems like the time.

Amazon.com: Kicker 6.5" Charcoal LED Marine Speakers (QTY 4) 2 pairs of OEM replacement speakers

Been looking at amps just can't seem to figure out the one to get, I don't really understand on how it all works exactly. Been reading threads but a bit lost still.

Wrecked Rooster

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was thinking about these with the LED, and I am am trying to figure what amp, assuming I would eventually add two more speakers and/or a sub. Since I am wiring everything in the boat right now, it seems like the time.

Amazon.com: Kicker 6.5" Charcoal LED Marine Speakers (QTY 4) 2 pairs of OEM replacement speakers

Been looking at amps just can't seem to figure out the one to get, I don't really understand on how it all works exactly. Been reading threads but a bit lost still.
Went down that rabbit hole today trying to figure out OHM requirements versus Watts. And if it’s okay to have higher watts on the speaker versus the amp channel or vice versa. Running in parallel versus series, etc. can make your head spin.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Wrecked Rooster Yeah, I gave up reading about it and trying to figure it out. I just can't seem to comprehend it all and then I worried that I am buying junk. Ohms, Watts, amps, combining channels, distortion, splicing, running speakers on a channel in parrallel or in series, etc. SMH

It would be great, for me, if I could just see a list of complete package ideas, with speakers, amp, wire, expandability, etc. Like Good, Better Best, etc. With all components. LOL... I could install it I am sure just confused on what to get to serve my needs now and possibly future expandability if needed