• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

NEW MODEL INFO 2021 Yamaha 255XD Walkthrough Video

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This is the official video introducing the new 255XD.

Please post your thoughts in the comments.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
93k but you get automatic wakeboosters! That's cool! 1600lbs of ballast though in hard tanks - gonna need a transom bag still. I can't find any mention of a real GPS speed control either.

Last edited:

Maccam26

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Nice helm station and overall really good evolution of their line. Can't comment on price, not in my league

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
93k but you get automatic wakeboosters! That's cool! 1600lbs of ballast though in hard tanks - gonna need a transom bag still. I can't find any mention of a real GPS speed control either.
It has full GPS Speed and launch controls.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Launch control works like:

1 set desired speed
2 set acceleration speed (slow med or fast)
3 Activate system
4 Push throttles forward and boat auto accelerates to your set speed the same way every time.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length

1 set desired speed
3 Activate system
4 Push throttles forward and boat auto accelerates to your set speed the same way every time.
That's sweet. So then the real thing it's missing for 96k is another 2k lbs of included ballast, unfortunately. Otherwise it would be a huge player against the tow boat market. Still better than last year. I just built a 25' Moomba Makai with all the middle engine option and all the surf/speed control options I could add (2020 model though) and got to 95k before bimini, speakers, etc. Of course, Moombas are known for knocking 10-20k off in "normal times" if bought at the right price. I have a feeling these new Yamahas will be absolute MSRP for two years at least.

Last edited:

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
That's sweet. So then the real thing it's missing for 96k is another 2k lbs of included ballast, unfortunately. Otherwise it would be a huge player against the tow boat market. Still better than last year. I just built a 25' Moomba Makai with all the middle engine option and all the surf/speed control options I could add (2020 model though) and got to 95k before bimini, speakers, etc. Of course, Moombas are known for knocking 10-20k off in "normal times" if bought at the right price. I have a feeling these new Yamahas will be absolute MSRP for two years at least.
I'm surprised you only hit $95K. Trailer? Probably has a top speed of 40mph too? Nice boats....but so focused on wake sports its not for me.

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
If Yamaha really wanted to make a dent in the wake boat market they should have designed a no nonsense boat with out all of the bling that put out a great wave and at a price point that would have drawn some attention. People that are really into surfing and wakeboarding won't even give this boat a look at 93K. Wake boat guys could care less about speed, sure this thing can do 55MPH and it's going to burn through a lot of gas, so how often will you really want to go full throttle? They needlessly outfitted this boat with all of the fancy screens and controls to try an compete with the high end wake boats. No one but Yamaha fan boys are going to think about buying this thing. If I wanted a large wake boat there are way more options for around the same price.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
If Yamaha really wanted to make a dent in the wake boat market they should have designed a no nonsense boat with out all of the bling that put out a great wave and at a price point that would have drawn some attention. People that are really into surfing and wakeboarding won't even give this boat a look at 93K. Wake boat guys could care less about speed, sure this thing can do 55MPH and it's going to burn through a lot of gas, so how often will you really want to go full throttle? They needlessly outfitted this boat with all of the fancy screens and controls to try an compete with the high end wake boats. No one but Yamaha fan boys are going to think about buying this thing. If I wanted a large wake boat there are way more options for around the same price.
I guess the point is that they aren't trying to go head to head with Wake boats. They are trying to build a well rounded boat that can do multiple things - like drive to Bimini, hang out behind and socialize, tow kids tubing, wake sports for amateurs, look fancy and is roomy and comfy. For some....going fast is important. I don't think it will be their top seller by any means, but it will fill a niche for them.

DaveShip55

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have an interesting question..... I’ve heard that the SVHO engines weren’t available previously in CA because of our lame smog requirements (not 100% if this was true or not).... But if this is true, wonder if Yamaha is going to have a CA model, or will we have to purchase out of state?

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

1 set desired speed
3 Activate system
This is same as current boats right?

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

ptwb

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Was really looking forward to the new series, but overall, not happy. Not bad, but nothing to pull me back from my current plan to just go back to an outboard. Just more of the same. Note, I am not interested in wake boarding.

1) Still that space wasting captain's chair. Aaaaarggggghh.
2) Still the lousy bow arrangement with that wasted space for people that will never sit there.
3) Still no standard E throttles
4) No info on how low tower will fold. Will it fit through an 8' door?
5) Not happy with the new transom design and that larger step down.
6) Looks like my 230 will still sit more people comfortably.
7) Hate the dash and the proprietary screen. Yamaha, please give us a back a traditional dash, FLAT so we can do what we want with NMEA enabled engines and standard E throttles. I just want throttles I can move myself and use easily. I don't need any other drive control features.
8) Do appreciate the larger full tank for the normal 1.8s.

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My allergies must be acting up really bad today. The whole time I was watching that video I was having a hard time breathing......

Again though: For me its the price. It's out of my league. If I was shopping for a boat today these would be as far off of my radar as a 50 foot trawler.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I said it before, I am shopping for my next "used" boat, in a few years.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Was really looking forward to the new series, but overall, not happy. Not bad, but nothing to pull me back from my current plan to just go back to an outboard. Just more of the same. Note, I am not interested in wake boarding.

1) Still that space wasting captain's chair. Aaaaarggggghh.
2) Still the lousy bow arrangement with that wasted space for people that will never sit there.
3) Still no standard E throttles
4) No info on how low tower will fold. Will it fit through an 8' door?
5) Not happy with the new transom design and that larger step down.
6) Looks like my 230 will still sit more people comfortably.
7) Hate the dash and the proprietary screen. Yamaha, please give us a back a traditional dash, FLAT so we can do what we want with NMEA enabled engines and standard E throttles. I just want throttles I can move myself and use easily. I don't need any other drive control features.
8) Do appreciate the larger full tank for the normal 1.8s.
Its interesting how individuals have their needs.....
1) My wife wouldn't get a new Yamaha without her OWN captains chair
2) Assume you mean the small front seat removable cushion area...yeah...that does waste storage space.
3) I think this is a good way to give people choice for a cheaper boat - would be nice if they'd offer it as a dealer upgrade if you wanted it. This is something they don't do much of.
4) Wont ever have a garage for my boat....
5) I'm conflicted on the transom height....gonna have to sit on it. I DO like the deep wet storage where the clean out are....you can get fenders in there.
6) Seating seems similar to me.
7) Yeah....not crazy about the dash either. I do like that they've gone back to hard switches
8) LOVE the bigger tank!