• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2023 Hyundai Ioniq 5 finally arrived!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The new 2023 Hyundia Ioniq 5 Limited is finally here! It is a blast to drive, and has a couple of cool features like VTL (vehicle to load) which allows you to run an AC circuit off the car...for power failures, camping etc. It also has self driving parking assist....see the video (I forgot I had to stay close to the car....I backed away to fit it in the screen). It's pretty fast too....0-60 in 4.5 seconds, range is 266 miles (AWD version, 303 for RWD), and charges from 10-80% in 18 minutes.

I'm driving to FL this weekend....so we'll see how a long road trip works soon!

20230308_093812.jpg20230308_094250.jpg20230308_094256.jpg20230308_094302.jpg

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
This is awesome, will wait for comprehensive review. How much did you end up paying, did this qualify for the $7500 tax break?

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Julian Glad to see the update. I passed one of these on the interstate the other morning and thought of your order. Interesting looking car in person. The one I passed was that kind of shiny/muted concrete color. Audi calls it Nardo Grey, no idea what Hyundai calls it. It was somewhat dirty as well (looked like he was on a road trip with some salt/debris on the car), and between the color and dirt it hid some of the sharper lines.

Be interested to see how you like it.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Congrats on the car! Would love to see a 10k/20k review.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
lovely vehicle. I am really interested in your road trip experience with a non tesla charging network.

zpaul

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Some Tesla Superchargers are now open for non Tesla vehicles.
So may be a great help on road trip.

bubbasuwannee

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Those are cool looking for sure. Will be interesting to hear your long term thoughts especially with extended road trips. We've considered an EV, but the closest thing that would even remotely fit our needs/driving habits would be one of the plug in hybrids. I see a lot of used low mileage EVs popping up on lots... seems that the luster wears off fairly quick.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Yes this is true, and has the potential to be such a mess. We'll see. My biggest concern is not more users but rather cars that don't have the plug in the same place as the Teslas, hence will have to park differently, leading to them occupying 2 spots. Superchargers have very short cables and are usually back in rather than drive through.

zpaul

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Yes this is true, and has the potential to be such a mess. We'll see. My biggest concern is not more users but rather cars that don't have the plug in the same place as the Teslas, hence will have to park differently, leading to them occupying 2 spots. Superchargers have very short cables and are usually back in rather than drive through.
Yeah it will definitely cause some issues. clog Tesla supercharges and block some stalls.
I think Tesla is already aware of this and probably will have to redesign Supercharger set up or place longer charging cables, I assume they will star with the last option first.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I really like that guys videos. Has a good voice and cadence, and has both relative details and opinions mixed together well.

JetPowered

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Congrats on the new car!

... Tesla is already aware of this and probably will have to redesign Supercharger set up or place longer charging cables ...
Tesla already on this for V4 superchargers. V3 design looks like it is just getting the retrofit 'magic dock' NACS->CCS adapter with no cable length adjustment. Also Telsa superchargers with the new capability is currently limited to upstate NY and two locations in Bay Area CA. It will expand slowly. I really would like to see an expansion of these to Corpus Christi supercharger show I can get another non-Tesla to drive to the beach!

Last edited:

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Sweet! :)

This is a similiar size and style to what we likely will buy in two years when we take the plunge into the EV market.

Jim

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
This is awesome, will wait for comprehensive review. How much did you end up paying, did this qualify for the $7500 tax break?
It does not qualify for a tax credit, but I just retired...so I won't have any tax to credit! This is the top of the line Ioniq 5 AWD, out the door taxes, frieght, plates/registration etc was 60,600K. The only thing it doesn't have is an upgraded paint choice - like Matt gold or grey....wasn't all that comfortable with a matt finish - looks cool, but more work to maintain.

I did also then buy their extended bumper to bumper warranty for $1550 that takes the bumper to bumper from 6 year/60k miles to 10/120k. Powertrain was already 10/100k.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
lovely vehicle. I am really interested in your road trip experience with a non tesla charging network.
I will be focusing on Electrify America chargers as they are free for the first 2 years of ownership (and generally well maintained and more spaces). As you can see, they cover the main interstates and big cities well (I'm heading to Tampa) - so I'm crossing my fingers that this should be an ok trip. I'm mentally hoping it won't take more than 4 hours longer than my normal trip....we will see! West Virginia is a dead zone - won't be going through there anytime soon!
Screenshot_20230308-185102_Chrome.jpg

It will be nice when Tesla adds 7500 charging stations on the network....but Charepoint and EA combined have a ton of stations (I filtered the above for only high speed stations).

@JC!

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Don't bother bringing it to the Dakotas, nothing from the Canadian border to Omaha or west of Minneapolis to the middle of MT or Rapid City. Of course you'd get about 100 miles or less of range in the winter up here anyway. 😂

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Looks and sounds/reads like a great car. They have come along way from this.
A08CB934-02AD-40BF-848E-1C2AA348BFD3.png

$60,600!!! 11 times as much as one of their original models from 40 years ago.

by comparison, the first yamaha 230s came out around 2003 and the top of the line AR was around $32,000. The most 27 footers I’ve seen are over $100,000 (so roughly three times as much in 20 years). What a bargain.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I'm mentally hoping it won't take more than 4 hours longer than my normal trip....we will see! West Virginia is a dead zone - won't be going through there anytime soon!
It is surprising how rural most parts of West Virginia are. We love the Hatfield McCoy ATV trail system (700+ miles) in southern WV. Lots of places you can’t get a cell signal, including on the mountains. Seriously thinking about a sat. phone for the next time we go.

Jim

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
The original Hyundais (excels) exported to the US had a reputation as poor quality cars as they were built to a low price point. After a huge investment in quality, design, and manufacturing, Hyundai began offering a 10 year/ 100,000 mile power train warranty (unheard at the time) in the attempt to bring Americans back to the brand. The investment worked and the quality of the cars vastly increased. In fact, by 2004, the were ranked 2nd in J.D. Powers survey on initial product quality. It’s a great example on how to turn around a company!

Jim

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The original Hyundais (excels) exported to the US had a reputation as poor quality cars as they were built to a low price point. After a huge investment in quality, design, and manufacturing, Hyundai began offering a 10 year/ 100,000 mile power train warranty (unheard at the time) in the attempt to bring Americans back to the brand. The investment worked and the quality of the cars vastly increased. In fact, by 2004, the were ranked 2nd in J.D. Powers survey on initial product quality. It’s a great example on how to turn around a company!

Jim
Yeah, we sold our 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe with 90k miles on it for $13.5K and it was still under the power train warranty. The only issue we had with it was a seat occupancy sensor and the usual maintenance (there might have been one recall in there covered by Hyundai....can't recall).

The Ioniq is quiet and fun to drive....I love the immediate acceleration with nothing but wind noise! Its like taking off on a fast roller coaster (one of those ones that launch you from the station).

So far I have only one complaint - you cannot set it to 1 pedal driving permanently, you can set it to level 3 regen, but 1 pedal needs to be turned on each trip. I hope this is something they can change over the air with a future update as its just a software setting. There are paddle shifter on the steering wheel that make it easy to switch regen levels....just wish it would hold the 1 pedal setting.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I’m trying to soak in as much EV knowledge as I can for our future purchase. Have recently read that the 2023 Ioniq 5’s have a pre-heat function on the battery to decrease charge times in cold weather!

Jim