• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

NEW MODEL INFO 2023 Yamaha 222XD Walk through by Julian and OperationROL

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Neil (@OperationROL ) and I were invited to preview the new 2023 222XD in Destin FL, below is the video we took while checking out the boat. Clearly we need to invest more in sound recording equipment as the wind was a problem! Occasionally you will also hear a jet in the background....yes Destin is close to a major Air Force Base and we had to stop recording a number of times has jets flew over. We were also unable to use the drone as they jam them (which one of the other vendors discovered only after their drone dropped into the water out of control when a jet flew over!)

I hope you enjoy our walk through, please feel free to ask questions here and we'll do our best to answer them!

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@Julian @OperationROL
Please give us any details regarding the 'Integrated Electric Surf Tabs'.
Are they similar to the 255 type?
Did you deploy them?
Did you surf behind them?
I can't find anything about the 22' tabs online.

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Did you guys get a picture inside the starboard main storage area? How about a better picture inside the engine bay, how useful is the storage on both sides of the motors? The storage seems to be very minimal under the rear seats. Based on the trailer height not sure why I wouldn’t just get a 25’ in my opinion. One other question did they go to soft ballast bags in the 25’ surf models, this is my biggest complaint on the 25’ surf models (the hard tanks take all the rear storage)? Thanks again, OperationROL and Julian.

Last edited:

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The placement of the tower speakers is horrible, passengers in the back are going to be blasted in the face with music. I know in the video @OperationROL says there is room to work on the engines, but I'm not sure how. The seats don't open past 90 degrees and now there's a wall you have to climb over to work on the engines.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Did you guys get a picture inside the starboard main storage area? How about a better picture inside the engine bay, how useful is the storage on both sides of the motors? The storage seems to be very minimal under the rear seats. Based on the trailer height not sure why I wouldn’t just get a 25’ in my opinion. One other question did they go to soft ballast bags in the 25’ surf models, this is my biggest complaint on the 25’ surf models (the hard tanks take all the rear storage)? Thanks again, OperationROL and Julian.
I'll post more screen shots once @OperationROL and I are done partying! Lol

Storage on the sides of the engines is big, but it is also where the soft ballast bags go.

The engine compartment is pretty accessible. I have a video I'll load on youtube.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Julian @OperationROL
Please give us any details regarding the 'Integrated Electric Surf Tabs'.
Are they similar to the 255 type?
Did you deploy them?
Did you surf behind them?
I can't find anything about the 22' tabs online.
The boat we were on was a preproduction demo that the whole system wasn't finished on. What we understand us the the surfpointe will be the same as the 25' boats.

WA61

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am curious about the towers on the 22 ft boats and how they fold. The specs for the new boats list from 9’4” to 9’11”, although the towers all look the same. Did you get a chance to look at the mechanism and see if it uses the cable system or the hydraulic struts? Also looks like the tower will hit the window frame almos t as soon as it starts to pivot. My concern is getting a new boat in my 9 ft garage door and if I can get the tower down low enough to make it work. I know I will probably have to measure myself or wait until someone actually gets one of the new boats to really get details. Thanks for the videos and info, great work.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Looks like a nice boat!

Comparing to my SX230 from two decades ago (2008) I would miss the larger engine opening on the SX230. Having the entire surroundings of the engine lift up is very nice, this engine enclosure is more of an "overhead" access where you are working only from above vs having less vertical barrier to the front of the engine. I understand engine access may not be the highest priority, but something that makes your life easier eventually.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@WA61 and @Beachbummer

Didn't get to explore the tower mechanisms at all, but they said they were the same mechanism....no hydrolics.

The higher front to the engine compartment does 2 things:
  1. It prevents water from getting into the engine compartment better
  2. It gives a smoother flater surface to make a better hatch seal....making the boat quieter.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Nice job on the walk through vids!

Shaikhli

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Great video, any photos of the starboard storage area? The Yamaha website says headroom, I am not sure how is that possible.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Ballast bags, eh? That space looks like you could take the starboard and run it to the top, and put a much larger ballast bag. Any idea the weight capacity of each of the bags? You fill them at all? Also like on my 212x do they reach a point where you can't extend the timer on the pump? Boy would I love to be able to have the best of both worlds: A legit push button ropeless surf experience, being able to take it to the sandbars/salt and not worry about a v drive/rudder hanging down. The pumps they have on my 212x, which look the same on that 222, can pump some serious water if the software will let you edit it. I can get to about 112% on the hard tanks until it starts spitting water out, need to adjust them more. However, my center locker bag stops at 117% and still isn't all the way full. Reckon I could just bypass all of that to the ACC switches and run it off a timer and/or just on/off until I see water flowing out the overflow.

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Ballast bags, eh? That space looks like you could take the starboard and run it to the top, and put a much larger ballast bag. Any idea the weight capacity of each of the bags? You fill them at all? Also like on my 212x do they reach a point where you can't extend the timer on the pump? Boy would I love to be able to have the best of both worlds: A legit push button ropeless surf experience, being able to take it to the sandbars/salt and not worry about a v drive/rudder hanging down. The pumps they have on my 212x, which look the same on that 222, can pump some serious water if the software will let you edit it. I can get to about 112% on the hard tanks until it starts spitting water out, need to adjust them more. However, my center locker bag stops at 117% and still isn't all the way full. Reckon I could just bypass all of that to the ACC switches and run it off a timer and/or just on/off until I see water flowing out the overflow.

I believe the pump/timer mechanism is the same as they have been using for the last few years so timing and capacity will work the same. However, I agree with you in the space where the bags are will hold a larger capacity bag. That is my opinion, not Yamaha's as I am sure they would not want to encourage anyone to exceed the published weight capacity of the boat. In my current boat (242 LS), I run 800's in both Starboard and Port storage areas with more confined space. Should work in this boat as well, especially with the open wall in the engine bay. Also, the wet storage behind the swim deck seat would be a great place to put some led shot weight.

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Here is a quick video of the engine compartment on the 222XD.

No way those oil filters are going to be easy to get to. They should have either made that wall removable or relocated the filters up higher on the engine.

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
No way those oil filters are going to be easy to get to. They should have either made that wall removable or relocated the filters up higher on the engine.
Actually, they are not hard to get to. They are much easier to get to than my 242 LS. Those short side walls opens everything up. Video does not do it justice.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I believe the pump/timer mechanism is the same as they have been using for the last few years so timing and capacity will work the same. However, I agree with you in the space where the bags are will hold a larger capacity bag. That is my opinion, not Yamaha's as I am sure they would not want to encourage anyone to exceed the published weight capacity of the boat. In my current boat (242 LS), I run 800's in both Starboard and Port storage areas with more confined space. Should work in this boat as well, especially with the open wall in the engine bay. Also, the wet storage behind the swim deck seat would be a great place to put some led shot weight.
I thought about that, OR you could get wakemakers to make custom bags. You'd likely have to run the pumps to a separate switch/setup, but could run the larger ballast bags and fill those with an overflow like plug and play bags. If you could get 2 1k bags in the back and a 200lb bag in that top locker with the center locker bag you'd be at nearly 3k lbs of ballast. I'd bet with one of the 1k lb sides with the 200lb'er filled up on one side with the center locker bag full you'd get a pretty decent wake. If they have the deployable tabs like the 255 you could get a near push button surf-able wave. Hmmmmmmm.......That sounds like a lot of work, but I'd really like to stay in the yammi family AND not have to deal with external ballast bags on the transom and such. Next boat was going to be a 22' anyways of a tow boat variety. IF I could make this work.......it might be an option in a year or so when things calm down a smidge.

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I thought about that, OR you could get wakemakers to make custom bags. You'd likely have to run the pumps to a separate switch/setup, but could run the larger ballast bags and fill those with an overflow like plug and play bags. If you could get 2 1k bags in the back and a 200lb bag in that top locker with the center locker bag you'd be at nearly 3k lbs of ballast. I'd bet with one of the 1k lb sides with the 200lb'er filled up on one side with the center locker bag full you'd get a pretty decent wake. If they have the deployable tabs like the 255 you could get a near push button surf-able wave. Hmmmmmmm.......That sounds like a lot of work, but I'd really like to stay in the yammi family AND not have to deal with external ballast bags on the transom and such. Next boat was going to be a 22' anyways of a tow boat variety. IF I could make this work.......it might be an option in a year or so when things calm down a smidge.
Maybe next year they will offer the 22’ with supercharged motors.

Daveb

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
Great review guys
question - any idea if the 222XD has the integrated wake gates similar to the 255 XD
thanks

obrien19

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Great review guys
question - any idea if the 222XD has the integrated wake gates similar to the 255 XD
thanks
I asked Julian this in the other thread. He confirmed that both 222 wake series has the surfpoint system.