1. Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  2. After selling out of last years red and blue models, Eric Justason has ordered another round of Koozies. The new color options are Blue with Yellow Logo, Red with Black Logo and Yellow with Blue Logo. He is making them available for $1.25 each. You can order yours via his Order Form or you can discuss them in this Thread. All proceeds from Koozie sales go into future SWAG production and event sponsorship.

(Clicking the X in the top right hand corner will dismiss this notice).
    Dismiss Notice

203 VRX Woes

Discussion in 'Chaparral' started by dtiff13, May 17, 2017 at 6:16 PM.

1. dtiff13

dtiff13 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Boat Make:
    Chaparral
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    VRX
    Boat Length:
    Hello all! Just bought a Red 2016 VRX 203 with the single 250 Rotax. I've gotta be honest, I love every single thing about this boat except for the motor. The dealer mentioned that after 10 hours I'd be able to get full power out of it. I'm currently at 13 hours and I still can't get above 38 mph with just me in it. RPM's max out at 7500-7600.

The problem that has recently been even more annoying is the throttle linkage. When I shift between forward and into reverse, it occasionally gets stuck in neutral or reverse until I giggle it around a bit. It hasn't been that big of an issue until today at the dock. I put in some reverse to get the boat turned around and it became stuck and I couldn't slow it back down. Long story short, I now have a good gash in the fiberglass near the back right cleat.

Needless to say, I'm quite disappointed in my purchase and I've expressed a lot of concern to my dealer. They've been super helpful, but that only goes so far until the problem is fixed. Does anyone have any idea what might be going on/advice for my next steps? I'm really hoping the warranty will pay for the gash as well, but I feel like I'm going to have a tough time proving that one. Thanks in advance for the help!

Attached Files:

2. BobJohnson

BobJohnson Jet Boat Lover

Ratings:
    +232 / 1
    Boat Make:
    Chaparral
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    VR
    Boat Length:
    I am by far not an expert but I wonder if with your throttle issues, if the bucket is not getting clear of your jet knozzles. And this is causing you to not reach full speed.

3. Chapvrx

Chapvrx Active Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Boat Make:
    Chaparral
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    VRX
    Boat Length:
    It looks like you have revers bucket adjustment issue, the dealer should be able to figure that and trouble shoot, it shouldn't get stuck in neutral, are you pressing button on a shifter when you shift

4. dtiff13

dtiff13 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Boat Make:
    Chaparral
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    VRX
    Boat Length:
    Yes I am, the button itself can be hard to press if not stuck at times as well.

5. Chapvrx

Chapvrx Active Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Boat Make:
    Chaparral
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    VRX
    Boat Length:
    Don't wait go bring it back before they get to busy , try to get them to fix the gel coat, but it's probably unlikely

6. Michael Rasmussen

Michael Rasmussen Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +114 / 1
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    242X E-Series
    Boat Length:
    is the expected top speed ~50 like many boats? What would cause you only getting 38 lightly loaded?

you mentioned the dealer saying as you break it in you will go faster? I've never heard of that for an engine. After 10 hours you would be able to get full power?

7. dtiff13

dtiff13 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Boat Make:
    Chaparral
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    VRX
    Boat Length:
    Yes, apparently it is something newish that Rotax engines do to prevent owners from WOT with a brand new motor (computer governor). Most websites including the dealer rate this boat at 45ish mph top end with around 8000+ RPM.

8. Michael Rasmussen

Michael Rasmussen Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +114 / 1
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    242X E-Series
    Boat Length:
    gotcha, I can see where they can easily govern the engine until some parameter is met.

so you are still rev limited by a bit. I would expect the dealers can tell if the governor is off. The engine on that boat looks awesome, hopefully they fix it for you.

9. Briwhy

Briwhy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +95 / 0
    Boat Make:
    Glastron
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    GTS
    Boat Length:
    I have a Glastron 207 with the same motor. I max out at 8000 rpm with 40mph and close to 45 if the lake is like glass and 45mph is rare. I don't think you will hit 50mph with a single engine and a boat that size.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Micah Thompson

Micah Thompson Active Member

Ratings:
    +48 / 0
    Boat Make:
    Chaparral
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    VRX
    Boat Length:
    Boattest.com got 44mph out of a 203 with a single 250, which seems about right. You should be able to get above 40 all day long unless way weighed down, something is definitely amiss.

upload_2017-5-17_22-6-12.png

11. Briwhy

Briwhy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +95 / 0
    Boat Make:
    Glastron
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    GTS
    Boat Length:
    Yeah I agree. At 13hrs you would be passed the limited rpm range. You should be hitting 8000 rpm now and at Max speed.