• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

210 LED Cabin Lights

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Kudos to the speaker/cup holder LED folks, but I elected to tuck my LED strips right up against the bottom of the seat cushions. I used waterproof 5050 RGB and soldered all connections. The 5m strip, controller and wire were under $75. I did buy a new solder gun to make things easier ($25). Lights under the engine hatch cushions are fed by a flex harness in plastic wire conduit zip tied to the starboard strut with all wiring under the hatch insulation. Lots of colors available and you can dim them, which is nice with the 5050. Wires come through small holes drilled in the deck liner. Joints were sealed with liquid electrical tape. After mounting, it can be covered with silicone as pictured. The controller was mounted up under the helm. They all appear indirect from inside the boat. The controller is powered off the existing courtesy cabin light switch (no load issues). I left the Perko by the throttles and in the closet. If I find an LED version I may swap out for power savings.image.jpg
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Very cool. Could you share more info on where you bought the components?

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sure. I ordered on amazon. Controller: $40.38. LED spool: $16.17. Wire: $11.53.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
After looking at the Perko LEDs to swap the original by the throttles, I got to thinking why not just use the housing and swap the bulb. I couldn't find any retrofit 12v LED lamps to fit the contacts. Then I came up with the idea to use a single section (2" of the leftovers) of strip inside the housing. It fit perfectly curved at the top and I just soldered short leads to the strip with the black soldered to +12v post and R G and B to the - post so it will always illuminate white. You could choose several colors depending on which lead(s) you ground and which you leave open. Now I just need to do the one in the closet and my current draw will be down overall with tons more light available.

Geiger41

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Do your lights only go a few colors or do they change tons of colors. Also are you cutting the led spool, placing the pieces where you want then using the wire to connect the spool pieces ?

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
You can get LED festoon style bulbs and superbrightleds.com as well as a flat panel 9 LED chip plate with a connector to plug into the closet light. I did this, but my records are at home and can't provide the numbers for the products I used right now.

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The controller I am using has 16 colors and 4 changing programs (flash strobe fade and smooth) which are different ways it will cycle through the colors. Yes, just cut the spool to desired length (available every two inches) remove the encasing at the terminals, solder wires and coat with liquid electrical tape.

gwevers

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Very nice look.

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If I were to do it again, I later found flexible LED channel with a plastic frosted cover that the lights can be mounted in. You have to look to see mine (be low); but that would kick it up a notch providing stronger mounting with better flexibility to replace strips as well as offer a mor finished look. As for an update, they still work great and I am extremely happy I added them. Now that I upgraded my sound system, I might consider a controller that “dances to the music”.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've been told that red led's are better for the bug factor, and that was an observed issue - guy reporting this to me has blue and is going to switch to red. His buddy has leds for the red/green lights, and far more on the green side than the red.

Dunno if you have seen this or not, but can you give me your eyeball measurements of what color attracts less critters?

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
From my experiences, if bugs are “in season” they will swarm the boat no matter which color I choose. It is especially bad around dusk (just the time you most want to use them) I expect there may be some studies about the best color. I went RGB so I can control color and intensity, which is absolutely great. I have had many evening cruises with the lights that were perfect. It just depends on the location and breeding season of the local bugs.