• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

212x Anchor Locker mod for mounting Slide box anchor

eticket

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
So after dragging my standard Yamaha anchor all over the lake last summer I decided to upgrade to a "Slide Anchor" box anchor, size small. I read about a lot of trouble stowing this design of anchor so I modified my locker to make sure the anchor was going to be secure, weight was transferred to the hull in a decent way, and also to pad the heck out of the entire locker in case I drop it when stowing or retrieving it.

I noticed that the hull design makes for some platforms where I could transfer the weight of the anchor if I had it sitting on a board. A 2x8 fits well, shaped to match the contours and notched for the rode bracket. I painted the plank with some primer and then some rubberized undercoating paint. I did not want the wood to contact the hull so I put some scraps of SeaDeck under the plank as insurance that I would not have wood to hull contact ever.

Starting with empty locker:

IMG_1865.JPG

Plank made from a scrap of 2x8:
IMG_1870.JPG

The plank is painted and SeaDek scraps applied where the weight will interface with the hull:

IMG_1884.JPG

As for padding, I wanted good toughness in case of a dropped anchor but also good cushion. My answer was a two layer padding with the first layer on the hull from a pad that you put under gym equipment. On top of that and in contact with the anchor is some seriously bulletproof mat designed for steps and available at Lowes, "Secure Step". The exercise mat says it is waterproof and the Secure Step is water and mold resistant (made from tires). I know the area gets wet so I left some drainage paths but hopefully it drains/dries well and I will just have to keep an eye on that.

Secure Step packaging:

IMG_1868.JPG

First layer of padding is cut to fit:

IMG_1871.JPG
Installed in two pieces. I did not glue it down as I am not 100% sure this material will be right for a wet compartment. In case I need to replace it later I can undo the whole mod pretty easily and these pieces are held in place nicely by the rest of the assembly:

IMG_1879.JPG

I secured the plank to the rear of the locker with three angle brackets and in the front I bent up a bracket and secured it to the back of the trailer eye loop.

IMG_1889.JPG
I cut more mat to pad the rear bulkhead of the locker. The Secure Step lays down on top of the plank and extends onto the mat:

IMG_1891.JPG

I put another piece of Secure Step forward of the first one, completely covering the entire locker where you might drop the anchor:

IMG_1893.JPG

Originally I thought to lay the folded anchor on the plank but I saw how some guys have fit assembled box anchors in by hanging them from posts. I checked and sure enough mine fit assembled, standing on the plank. I goofed around a bit and found a great way to secure the top using the step ladder brackets (I removed my forward ladder as we never use it). After I took this picture I lined the entire locker entrance with more SeaDek scraps so I can minimize damage when accessing the anchor and also to provide a buffer between the anchor and the glass when the anchor is secured:

IMG_1898.JPG

At the bottom I added two strap hooks on the plank to secure straps to hold the folded or assembled anchor to the plank, thus avoiding any jumping around in rough water. The other end of the straps are tied to a shackle attached to the anchor rode bracket.

Assembled configuration:

IMG_1902.JPG

Folded configuration:

IMG_1905.JPG

Completed protection for locker entrance:

IMG_1907.JPG

Now I have two ways to mount the anchor depending on my needs and hopefully I've got enough protection in there to handle an accidental drop of the anchor. Next up is the gas strut mod for the locker door, parts arrive this week!

Attachments

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Great idea here and nice write up!

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Great job! Thanks for sharing:thumbsup:

eticket

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
And the final touch, replaced finger smasher with a proper strut.

image.jpeg

Kevin M

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Really nice work! I do love my box anchor but it's a bit much to handle at times. Never lets me down. My wife calls it the bear trap.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length

eticket

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

Devildog

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So after dragging my standard Yamaha anchor all over the lake last summer I decided to upgrade to a "Slide Anchor" box anchor, size small. I read about a lot of trouble stowing this design of anchor so I modified my locker to make sure the anchor was going to be secure, weight was transferred to the hull in a decent way, and also to pad the heck out of the entire locker in case I drop it when stowing or retrieving it.

I noticed that the hull design makes for some platforms where I could transfer the weight of the anchor if I had it sitting on a board. A 2x8 fits well, shaped to match the contours and notched for the rode bracket. I painted the plank with some primer and then some rubberized undercoating paint. I did not want the wood to contact the hull so I put some scraps of SeaDeck under the plank as insurance that I would not have wood to hull contact ever.

Starting with empty locker:

View attachment 36144

Plank made from a scrap of 2x8:
View attachment 36147

The plank is painted and SeaDek scraps applied where the weight will interface with the hull:

View attachment 36152

As for padding, I wanted good toughness in case of a dropped anchor but also good cushion. My answer was a two layer padding with the first layer on the hull from a pad that you put under gym equipment. On top of that and in contact with the anchor is some seriously bulletproof mat designed for steps and available at Lowes, "Secure Step". The exercise mat says it is waterproof and the Secure Step is water and mold resistant (made from tires). I know the area gets wet so I left some drainage paths but hopefully it drains/dries well and I will just have to keep an eye on that.

Secure Step packaging:

View attachment 36146

First layer of padding is cut to fit:

View attachment 36148
Installed in two pieces. I did not glue it down as I am not 100% sure this material will be right for a wet compartment. In case I need to replace it later I can undo the whole mod pretty easily and these pieces are held in place nicely by the rest of the assembly:

View attachment 36149

I secured the plank to the rear of the locker with three angle brackets and in the front I bent up a bracket and secured it to the back of the trailer eye loop.

View attachment 36151
I cut more mat to pad the rear bulkhead of the locker. The Secure Step lays down on top of the plank and extends onto the mat:

View attachment 36153

I put another piece of Secure Step forward of the first one, completely covering the entire locker where you might drop the anchor:

View attachment 36154

Originally I thought to lay the folded anchor on the plank but I saw how some guys have fit assembled box anchors in by hanging them from posts. I checked and sure enough mine fit assembled, standing on the plank. I goofed around a bit and found a great way to secure the top using the step ladder brackets (I removed my forward ladder as we never use it). After I took this picture I lined the entire locker entrance with more SeaDek scraps so I can minimize damage when accessing the anchor and also to provide a buffer between the anchor and the glass when the anchor is secured:

View attachment 36155

At the bottom I added two strap hooks on the plank to secure straps to hold the folded or assembled anchor to the plank, thus avoiding any jumping around in rough water. The other end of the straps are tied to a shackle attached to the anchor rode bracket.

Assembled configuration:

View attachment 36156

Folded configuration:

View attachment 36157

Completed protection for locker entrance:

View attachment 36158

Now I have two ways to mount the anchor depending on my needs and hopefully I've got enough protection in there to handle an accidental drop of the anchor. Next up is the gas strut mod for the locker door, parts arrive this week!
Cruddy day today, so just zooming around the site this morning and saw your post from earlier. To start, the box anchor has been the best investment that I have made with my boat. That sucker just sets every time. I still stay alert for the first 15 minutes or so after throwing it out....just out of habit and making sure that everything is secure. Yes, the anchor is a bit heavier and cumbersome at times, but the performance easily outweighs these issues.

I love the mods that you made to your anchor locker. I just don't have the confidence to do all of that :). I tried a more lay mans approach by just covering the bottom of the locker with fitness matting. It worked okay, but I ended up covering the drainage hole and somehow water came in, but would not escape. Freaked me out big time when I opened the lid to the anchor locker and it was 3/4 filled with water. I decided to scrap the whole mini-mod because there is just not much room to maneuver in the locker especially with the added weight of the anchor.

So I have chosen to just store the box anchor in its vinyl bag under one of the bow seat storage areas. These areas are already lighted padded by the factory and I added some additional fitness matting as well. Plus there are a boatload of life jackets up there :). It gives me a lot more room to work and has worked well the past few trips.

Thanks again for sharing your set up!!

eticket

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@Devildog , thanks for the kind words on my mod. I am half a season with it now and so far I am happy with how it work and it drains well which was a concern I had. I am folding the anchor before stowage and I just have to remember to keep the rope out of the way, which I do by throwing it on the floor before strapping the anchor in, then dropping the rope in top after. It will be interesting to see how the materials hold up over time. The anchor itself it great, holds like a champ but you definitely need a strong back and arms to pull it up!

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
great post with pictures! added to the FAQ under boat mods,