• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

212x Handling Questions

Jameson Clark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Just got a new 2017 212X and took it out for the first time last weekend. This is my first jet boat and my last two were sterndrives. Three things I noticed that I wanted to get an opinion on.

1. The boat seemed to pull left anytime on plane. Didn't matter how it was loaded, it always pulled left. Is this normal or does the articulating keel need to be adjusted or what?

2. On plane there is a ton of play in the steering, you can turn the wheel about 1/3 turn each way with no change in direction when on plane.

3. When in reverse, with the throttles at the same point, one engine revs MUCH higher than the other. I have to give the left engine substantially more throttle for the rpms to match.

Thanks for any help!!!!

geohil

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Sounds to me like a dealer set-up issue. This boat is new, correct? I would ask the dealer to align the pumps, and adjust the throttle cables. If the is not an option these are both easy things to do. (pump is just adjusting the steering cable linkage until the pumps are about 1/8 inch toed in. The throttle cables adjust at the Accelerator Position Sensor in the engine bay). If the throttle thing is only in reverse it is probably adjusting the reverse bucket cable.

If you are coming out of a stern drive it will take you some time to adjust. Especially docking. I would recommend some steering fins at some point – they help a ton.

spatty99

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
1 and 2 don't sound normal and seems like something is out of alignment.
3 is half typical. Yamaha throttles aren't perfectly responsive or matched, although they should be within several hundred rpm of each other.

Jameson Clark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I won't have time to get it to my local dealer before this weekend (not where I bought it) and I am sure they are slammed before the holiday weekend. So, if the weather allows me to go out this weekend, I'll get a video of all three for some more input.

As for the reverse, they are not even close, one engine will get all the way to 3000 rpms before the other moves off of idle. But, like I said, that is only in reverse and they do fine in forward.

Someone mentioned steering fins... can y'all point me in the right direction? I was kind of under the impression the articulating keel on the 17 models made it where those modifications were unnecessary.

Thanks for all the help!