• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

212x one engine not responding - connext issue?

Ggoodlife

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
All -

I’m having a challenge where sometimes when restarting the boat, one engine won’t respond.

Meaning it will turn on, but will not shift out of N. Seems like if you turn off boat and batteries it seems to reset and be fine next time.

Im guessing is a connext issue. Any thoughts?

It’s a 2021 212xe.

Last edited:

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Connext is mostly a monitoring display - all engine functions should work regardless. But you never know...it's new so have the dealer look at it when you take it in for service?

Ggoodlife

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Well, I think it is related as the throttles are digital (I believe) and all seems to work if you reboot the system.

But agree will have dealer check it out.

I readsome older threads about connext issues and upgrades...but was somewhat hopefully that a 2021 would have no issues.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Well, I think it is related as the throttles are digital (I believe) and all seems to work if you reboot the system.
But agree will have dealer check it out.
I readsome older threads about connext issues and upgrades...but was somewhat hopefully that a 2021 would have no issues.
Oh you have the XE model...yes the throttles are digitally controlled. Could just be a glitchy unit or firmware.

Speedyjunk

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I just got my 2021 212XD and the 2nd time out I had this same issue with the port side engine. After shutting off everything including the battery it worked perfectly again. I hope this doesn’t continue. Only had 2 hours on the brand new boat at the time.

Dixiedodger

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212XD
Boat Length
Just got my 212XD and seem to be having the same issue. Maintenance check is in 2 weeks but will try the reboot to fix...just hit 10 hours.

Speedyjunk

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Just got my 212XD and seem to be having the same issue. Maintenance check is in 2 weeks but will try the reboot to fix...just hit 10 hours.
So did your dealer say they will try a reboot? My dealer said they haven’t heard of this issue yet. I’m hoping they will have a fix by the time I get to my 10 hour appointment.

Dixiedodger

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212XD
Boat Length
We ending up doing a full reboot by turning off the batteries and switching the manual/power steering levers in the front. Turned on batteries and everything has worked fine since. Dealer chalking it up to an electronic glitch with the connext system!

mskiff

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I had a similar issue with both engines this past weekend. First time I had the brand new boat (2021 212SE) out. Did a break in on Thursday evening and everything worked as expected. Friday the boat would not go in gear (forward or reverse) and the only way I could get it to do anything was to put it in the "no wake" mode wherein it would only go forward (no reverse). In this mode the check engine light came on. Stopped in a clear area, turned off all batteries, restarted the boat and it worked fine for about an hour. Then back to the same issue once I turned it off. Only would run in the "no wake" mode which BTW is a bit dangerous without any reverse. I also noticed that the engines would start without being in neutral (not supposed to) and several times I got a steering alarm of some sort. Sunday more of the same. Boat went back to dealer Monday. Waiting to hear diagnosis.

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
I had this happen the other day. It def seemed like a glitch when it booted up. It inly happened to me once and it was when i had my daughter turn the batt switches on. She wasnt really strong enough to turn them so she was off,on,off,on a bunchnof times until she finally got them to lock to full on. I attributed it to a glitchy boot up from that. I had to turn the batt off for a couple min then back on correctly and everything worked great. My port eng was stuck in fwd somehow at idle and i had no shift or throttle. Stbd eng worked fine. The sd models use the seastar optimus system. I believe that takes care of not only steering but the shift as well. With the steering paddles it may work that whole steer,shift,throttle system. I dont know really since i havent dug into it yet. If its a rare occurrence then it really doesnt bother me. I now just test the controls before i untie in the slip. Its always a smart move anyway.

Speedyjunk

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I haven’t had any more issues and just did my 10 hour service. No error codes were found so I’m hoping it was a one time thing.

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
i have been out 3-4 times since it happened to me and no further issues. im prob up to 30 hrs on the boat now with only that one instance.

Ggoodlife

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Good news on my front too. Had the boat out all weekend, with many many many (kids learning how to get up on wakeboard) starts and stops with no issues. Hopefully its a connext bug that only happens before the 10hr service!?!?!?!

mskiff

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I am still having the issue. Boat runs as it should first time you use it. Turn it off to go for a swim and you have a slim chance the boat will work; i.e., shift gates into forward (or reverse). The levers don't change anything (not even the rpm). Really an issue as the only thing you can do is manually put the gates in forward and then you have 1-2 MPH to where you are going. Taking it back to dealer today for second time. I also noticed that I have two starter batteries versus once starter and one deep cell (house) battery. The house battery seems to drop voltage pretty quick so I run them in parallel. Maybe there is a short somewhere in my controls.

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
this is a prime example of some of the crazy stuff that happens when you have bad or crappy batteries that the dealer installs. there have been more than a couple few threads on the forum with guys that have the sd/xd models that have all kinds of weird electronic issues. put good batteries in the boat and they all go away. not saying that its your issue but its def a very good possibility.

mskiff

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thx. Good thought. I had them look at the batteries while I was there today and they said they were both good quality Deka 1,000 amp batteries. I watched the tech start/stop everything numerous times without an issue. They agreed to change out the throttle controls to see if there is something intermittent within that part so we'll see what happens.

brettonwf

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212XE
Boat Length
I hit 10 hours on the boat Memorial Day weekend. we were surf boarding and skiing and the boat worked great. started to come back in and started have trouble with starboard engine. got error code to "Check Engine Stop Steering Consult Yamaha Dealer". Starboard would start but no rpm. Limped in with one engine for a while then turned off batteries and restarted. Could not get past 10 mph on both engines, thought we had cruise control set from wake surfing but it was not, Long day!. Took out next day worked great. got away from dock and threw into reverse for a few seconds and then pushed up forward speed to clear out any junk. worked great, went back to dock. Shut engines down, daughter got wet suit on went to start engines and starboard engine had no rpm. shut down boat including batteries, hitched up trailer, fired up again and both engines worked. Both engines worked so loaded it up and took back to dealer. Told by dealer it is throwing off a bunch of error codes and they are working with Yamaha to resolve.. Stay tuned!

mskiff

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
So I was told by my dealer today that the cables to the jet gates routing through the floor are subject to binding and as a result can be the root cause of issues. If they see any sort of restriction than the electronics sense issues and shut down the ability to operate in normal mode. We’ll see. This feedback was based on info from Yamaha so maybe resulting from others having similar issues. Anyway, hope to get the boat back this week and back on the water.

ChadD

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Good news on my front too. Had the boat out all weekend, with many many many (kids learning how to get up on wakeboard) starts and stops with no issues. Hopefully its a connext bug that only happens before the 10hr service!?!?!?!
Did you ever get an answer, I’m having the exact same issues. I only have a couple hours on the boat.