• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

215 feedbac

Light twin

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Hi, my next boat will be a jetboat and while researching all the options discovered this website. Having read through many excellent posts/observations I've reached the conclusion that
a) I like the Scarab, and
b) it will be more sensible for me to go for the 215 instead of the 195.

I've found a couple of used 2014 models with about 30 hours on the 200hp engines. I can't help thinking that these boats suffered from the rotax gremlins often mentioned on these forums and the owners have just given up on their boat. I'm lured by the 'bargain' price tag of the boats, but at what hidden cost?

I've always had Mercruiser sterndrives until now so I'm venturing into new (and potentially expensive) territory so any advice regarding pre-buy inspections, in particular things to look for that are unique to these engines/electrics and propulsion units, will be gratefully appreciated.
Any questions you wished you had asked, any differences in options you regret taking/not taking?
Is a used 30 hr engine that much different to a new one?

Many thanks!

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Hi, I bought my 165 (2015 model) this spring with 22hrs on it. I've since doubled the hours on the boat and have had zero issues. So I can't/won't speak for everyone, but my personal experience of buying a slightly used boat has been great keeping in mind I've only added about 21hrs on it since the purchase. Overall, I've been very happy with the boat and the dealer that had it before seems to have done a good job of checking everything before delivering it to me. Lights were cleared properly, boat was in wonderful working order (had very minor issues only, mostly stuff I had to learn about), oil change was performed, new battery installed, etc.

Light twin

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Sounds as though you got a good one! Now I just need to find a similar condition 215 :)

Scarabpaul

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I purchased a new 2015 215HO last year. I have put 25hrs on it so far and it has been great. my maintenance light just came on for the 25hr service so I need the dealer to clear it. other than that I have been completely satisfied, the boat is fast, turns on a dime and I get compliments every time I take it out. so far I have install seadek, dual batteries and cobra fins. only regret is I should have purchased a tower. I had a 150 speedster with the single rotax engine and I will never go to a single engine again, the acceleration is unreal with the twins.

Light twin

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Fantastic. V jealous. :) ...all the used 215s I've seen so far don't have the tower. Can I ask what hp engines you have in your boat?

Scarabpaul

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Fantastic. V jealous. :) ...all the used 215s I've seen so far don't have the tower. Can I ask what hp engines you have in your boat?
I got the twin 200's.

Pirana

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I'm pretty sure someone will tell you, but the main gremlin, specially on the first year models is the shaft misalignment causing the carbon seal to wear out and leaking water into the hull....so that would be my main look out on a used jetboat.

PanamaJet

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I would not get a 2014 - most of the issues that people have reported have been with the 2014 and 2015 model years. The lower price was not worth the hassle for me.

Ronnie0471

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
2016 / 215 HOI orange 45 hours, great boat , sexy boat perfect size, some minor issues, most I fixed myself. I may have it for sale soon due to upgrade time. Near buffalo ny

Elio195HOI

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Other
Hi, my next boat will be a jetboat and while researching all the options discovered this website. Having read through many excellent posts/observations I've reached the conclusion that
a) I like the Scarab, and
b) it will be more sensible for me to go for the 215 instead of the 195.

I've found a couple of used 2014 models with about 30 hours on the 200hp engines. I can't help thinking that these boats suffered from the rotax gremlins often mentioned on these forums and the owners have just given up on their boat. I'm lured by the 'bargain' price tag of the boats, but at what hidden cost?

I've always had Mercruiser sterndrives until now so I'm venturing into new (and potentially expensive) territory so any advice regarding pre-buy inspections, in particular things to look for that are unique to these engines/electrics and propulsion units, will be gratefully appreciated.
Any questions you wished you had asked, any differences in options you regret taking/not taking?
Is a used 30 hr engine that much different to a new one?

Many thanks!
Stay away from 2014 for sure. Still trying to work the bugs out.

Light twin

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Thanks everyone for the replies. Seems to be a consistent theme and general consensus regarding the 2014 models. Nice idea Ronnie but in all fairness to you yours will probably be too much for me.

Lee Weismiller

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I purchased a new 2015 215HO last year. I have put 25hrs on it so far and it has been great. my maintenance light just came on for the 25hr service so I need the dealer to clear it. other than that I have been completely satisfied, the boat is fast, turns on a dime and I get compliments every time I take it out. so far I have install seadek, dual batteries and cobra fins. only regret is I should have purchased a tower. I had a 150 speedster with the single rotax engine and I will never go to a single engine again, the acceleration is unreal with the twins.

Hi there, I also have a brand new 2015 215HO, I just turned the 25 hr mark and my service guy quoted me 480$ (Canadian) ?? You said dealer just had to clear it. Is there actual maintenance that needs to be done? Never had a brand new boat before. Thanks!

Scarabpaul

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hi there, I also have a brand new 2015 215HO, I just turned the 25 hr mark and my service guy quoted me 480$ (Canadian) ?? You said dealer just had to clear it. Is there actual maintenance that needs to be done? Never had a brand new boat before. Thanks!
before I stored my boat for winter I completed my oil change and plugs prior to hitting 25hrs. I spoke to the dealer and they advised that they would clear the maintenance reminder when it came on. now if they do it free of charge we will see :)...

Light twin

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Many thanks guys, a 223vrx has fallen into my lap, top of the line model, so, Inspection going well, I'll be posting on the Chaparral pages.

I've posted on there for any suggestions regarding things to look for in particular during the pre-buy inspection. .. rotax and jet pump specific. Any feedback always appreciated.

a4effort

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Many thanks guys, a 223vrx has fallen into my lap, top of the line model, so, Inspection going well, I'll be posting on the Chaparral pages.

I've posted on there for any suggestions regarding things to look for in particular during the pre-buy inspection. .. rotax and jet pump specific. Any feedback always appreciated.
Best of luck with your purchase process and acquiring what sounds like a very nice chaparral! I think it would be ok to drop a pic in this thread for us Scarab cousins to check out

Light twin

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length

Mark Brannon

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 G
Boat Length
@Scarabpaul where did you mount the 2nd battery on your 215HO? This is on my project list for the fall (along with the on board charger)

Scarabpaul

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Scarabpaul where did you mount the 2nd battery on your 215HO? This is on my project list for the fall (along with the on board charger)
I installed it on the starboard side under the seat . Very easy, I followed scarabmikes instructions.