• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

215 HO Overheating

Adam Rusek

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Need help! 2014 215 HO Impulse is overheating and entering "limp mode" immediately after being launched. We sucked up some seaweed over the weekend and it tripped a high exhaust temp alarm before my wife shut it down.

After inspecting the engine compartment i noticed we were also taking on water thru the 3" rubber exhaust pipe that had popped off the muffler. I kept us underway and let the bilge handle it until we got back today. When i opened the compartment to fix the hose clamps i noticed seaweed actually hanging from the hose inside the engine compartment. I worried that we somehow sucked seaweed into the exhaust port.

Additional Notes:
1.) the grates and impeller are clear.
2.) i am still getting a engine light if i give it any throttle, still stuck in limp mode.
3.) tried running on 1 engine but it remained in limp mode.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I live in Michigan where summer is short! I want to fix this myself even though im under warranty.

Jubin Payandeh

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XE
Boat Length
I had an overheating issue with my 195. A few others have as well.

My understanding of engines is simple. These are cooled by a plate right under the impeller. If it is plugged, overheating can occur as water needs to pass by it to cool.

One fellow had his boat painted and the incidental painting of this plate caused overheating.

In my case, the hose from the coolant reservoir was kinked. I cut one of the zip ties and repositioned it.

Hopefully it's something easily remedied.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Well, if there is seaweed hanging out the exhaust it sounds like you need to start by tearing it apart! Make sure it's good and clean because if it is jacketed like the yamaha exhaust, it can be a real pain.
as stated above, look for other obvious things as well. One engine may cause both to stay in limp mode?
don't know the new scarab electronics all that well but perhaps they require a few key cycles to clear a code? I know many cars do this.

Casey_215HO

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I had the temp alarm go off one time after sucking up some major weeds. I shut it off jumped in the water cleared out the intake grates and all was good.

hunterextro

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I had an high temp warning that was persistent and it ended be the temp sensor was slightly melted from a previous over heat due sucking something up.

Butch44

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Our 165 HO is overheating as well. Grounded in sand once and it’s never been the same. Service found nothing but problem persists. What’s is best method of clearing impeller? Any other suggestions with regards to over heating is appreciated. Thx
Butch

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Overheating is either caused by your antifreeze supply (for the engine portion) or by the water supply for the exhaust system. The water supply does NOT come from the impeller area but from the stern of your boat. That's where you flush the exhaust system (longish pipe with female screw threads inside), upper-left of your nozzle. I'm not sure to which you're referring, but if the engine, make sure your antifreeze is topped up correctly and not leaking. Make sure there are no air bubbles in the system (I would replace your antifreeze to make sure, cheap to do but make sure to let the antifreeze come out of the drain plug while you put the plug in otherwise you can trap air in the system). If it's the exhaust, make sure the intake pipe is clean, no debris inside. Flush some water through it (while the engine is on, follow proper flushing procedures) and see if the water seems to flow freely through the system. It should come out at the bottom freely.

If both of these things are done and working well, then temperature sensor? Otherwise, not sure what else one could do.

Butch44

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Thanks to everyone. Especially you Luc. Very complete list of solutions. Awesome

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
lol Thanks? Did you find the problem?

Butch44

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Not yet. However, weirdly it has improved. I took it out early with smooth water and made three passes each time reaching 40, 45, 50. Still, does not sound right. Feels like it is struggling.

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
If you do figure it out, make to post back. Worth it for others to learn or be able to reference your solution in the future. This forum has been super useful to me since I've owned my boat.

Butch44

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Absolutely! Its been my go to. Thanks again buddy.