• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

215 Wake vs 255 Wake

S4451

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'm about to order a 2019 215 ID w/Wake and need to rule in/out the 255 before pulling the trigger. I've seen both the 215 and 255 in person, but not in the water. Could someone who knows both boats and has driven both help me with the pro's and con's of 215 vs 255? I understand that the 255 holds more people. I'm trying to understand if there's something like comfort, performance, watersports towing, etc. that makes the 255 something to consider. My dealer doesn't know these boats well, I've never test driven one and I'm hoping this forum will be a good unbiased source of information.

Thanks!

Darrell

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Most of the the added space is in the cockpit area I believe. You gain two rear facing seats, behind the driver and passenger, and a flip out section to convert to a bench. You also get a head on the 255, not on the 215. Take a look on the website and grab the top down picture to compare both sizes. But other than that they are really quite similar. Bigger boat will handle bigger seas, but depends on where yiu’ll Be boating. Good luck and let us know what you end up with! 300’s??

S4451

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Already decided to go with the 300’s.
How are these boats at low speed? Can the 215 or 255 be a substitute for a pontoon when you feel like a slow cruise around the lake? If yes, then the 255 with better seating could be better?

Darrell

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Excellent! I don’t have one yet!! And can’t remwmber my test drives to well at idle to be honest. So I’d have to wait on someone else to weigh in. But I don’t recall thinking anything different than any other boat at slow cruising speeds. But in my mind go as big as you can afford.

Need A Vacation

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
When I did the lake test of the 215, I did do a slow speed test. It didn’t handle to bad at all. Not any worse than our ‘99 Crownline i/o. It wandered a little bit, but I wonder if part of that is due to the quick steering that the Scarab has.

Reverse was definitely interesting the way it is opposite of the way you turn the wheel compared to an i/o or ob. The easiest way for me to describe it with the very limited time I had behind the wheel is it’s like backing a trailer up.

Scarabpaul

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have a 215ho and i would say The 255 is the way to go if you plan on taking lots of people out with you, your boating on a larger lake and the price difference doesnt matter.

Just to clarify, slow speed maneuverability is great but these boat dont cruise like a pontoon at slow speed. No wake speed is basically 6mph, any faster your stirring up a wake and revving up the motors. Now once your on plane you can back off the throttle and cruise at 20mph or so very comfortably.

Rick215HO

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I have owned both the 215 (400HP) and 255 (500HP), the 255 hull is a superior ride, more balanced, dry, and much better if you get any chop/waves.
If you have the choice and $$$, I would go 255. The 215 ride was way too rough for me on any chop or minor waves.
The only downside of the 255 is that it is a heavier boat, even with the twin 250s you get a little less acceleration with the 255. The 215 could sit down any standing passenger with the throttle.
We do a lot of tubing and simple wakeboarding and both boats have done great for that.

JetTech72

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Definitely a 255. As @Rick215HO mentionned, if you will be in any kind of rough water, the 255 hull would provide a much better ride.

Jordan Woosley

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
@Rick215HO Im looking at making a Bahamas trip this summer. Was curious what fuel burn you get and what’s the best Economic cruise speed is. Also how far can you go on a tank?

Rick215HO

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
@Rick215HO Im looking at making a Bahamas trip this summer. Was curious what fuel burn you get and what’s the best Economic cruise speed is. Also how far can you go on a tank?
It depends very much on the conditions you will encounter.
The boat typically cruises at 2.2-2.4 MPG (per chart plotter computer) @ nearby 30 mph with flat water (pretty much as advertised). On my short crossing with bad weather I recall the chart plotter indicated about 1.2 MPG at times while trying to stay in the 15 mph range, if sustained that would have made it a close call on fuel. I turned back about 5 miles out, so I could not tell you about the entire trip experience with the boat.