• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

22 Inch wheels on tow vehicle

goodtogo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I am looking at another tow vehicle.
Probably a 2015 Yukon or Yukon XL <4WD>. (I'd like a truck, but a SUV seams more Family Friendly)
I have seen that on the higher Trim Levels, the vehicles will come with 22 inch wheels.
I personally do not find 22 inch wheels attractive, and think that they take the SU out of the V
I would much prefer 20 or even 18 inch wheels, with good, firm sidewalls.
I am concerned with how 22 inch wheels will perform on a SUV, pulling a 24 foot boat

Can those who have experience towing, with 22 inch wheels on a SUV, provide their experience (and maybe reassure me), with this configuration.

Thanks

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had 20's on the SS. Have 20's on the new Sierra. Both tow just fine with zero problems. I actually prefer them over the super-squishy 18's on my wifes Traverse. Had 16's on my old Yukon that I towed with a lot. That truck GREATLY improved after moving to 18's.

I would have ZERO hesitations towing with 22's so long as the wheels and tires had the proper load rating.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Have 22's on my 2015 Lincoln Navigator no issues at all.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It will tow just fine, you will just loose some off-road ability like watching for rocks, and the ability to air down.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I didn't pull a 24 footer, but I did regularly pull our 190 behind our Ford Edge Sport which is wearing OEM forged 22's. Never had a an issue.

edge boat.jpg

Last edited:

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
When shopping for my truck, I learned in the case of the F150, the versions with 22 inch rims (Limited and Harley Davidson) had a significantly lower maximum loaded trailer weight (7500 vs 9800 lbs). They would still handle the boat but not the travel trailer. Check to make sure the models equipped with the 22 inch rims don’t pay a penalty as most of them also receive a higher axle ratio with those flashy rims. That affects how much (how well) you can tow.

Redneck_4Play

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Pulled our 212X with the wife's Escalade riding on 22s on a 1500 mile trip. Towed like a dream. Gas mileage was pretty bad but no issues towing.

goodtogo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks for the replies, and all the information.
As always, getting first hand information from those with direct experience, is great.

I now feel more comfortable, if I do end up with a tow vehicle, that has 22 inch wheels.

stever40

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

I have 22's on my Yukon Denali. No issues towing. If your concerned about 22's, the Yukon SL and SLT's do come standard with 20's (if I'm not mistaken). I am sure you can just ask for them. The BF Goodrich tires are a whole different topic. :)

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Same as others above, I have a new Sierra Denali with stock 22's and its drives so smooth I cant really tell their oversized.

As others mentioned the lower profile might lower the rating a bit, but I havent had any problems towing my '17 AR240.

I say go for it!!

CraigAR

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I also have 22" (aftermarket) on the escalade. I tow into my empty lot beside my house and can't even tell the difference from the factory 18's.
20180120_165307.jpg
20180120_165324.jpg
They don't look like 22's because the ESV is a tank lol