• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

223 steering issues?

Steve B

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Was out pulling people on a tube yesterday and the steering started clicking and would not turn easily or much at all starboard. Manual says it is hydraulic system so it may just need more oil, but wanted to see if anyone had run into this issue. Thanks!

BobJohnson

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
no, have not run into this or heard about it before. thanks for posting in case it does come up.

Jet Blue

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have not experienced this, but let us know what you find out so we be prepared!

blackhawkpilot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
My steering (apparently) is stiffer than normal. The dealer said he would get it cleaned up when I take it in for the first service, but it doesn't seem to be that bad.

Steve B

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
So contrary to the manual, the steering is rack and pinion. The dealer took it apart re-seated it and now it is smooth and responsive. Hopefully no more problems.

blackhawkpilot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I posted this on the Facebook page, but figured I'd put it here as well. I developed a steering grind and it wouldn't go away at low speed. It's coming from the steering column. My dealer replaced the cable last fall and now I'm getting this. Needless to say, we were afraid to do any tubing yesterday due to the possibility of losing steering. Any ideas?

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Holy rattle Batman! That sounds awful. Are you feeling a heavy vibration in the wheel when it's rattling? Does it feel like it's grinding?

blackhawkpilot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Yeah, there is some feedback (rattle) in the wheel. The owners manual says "check the level of hydraulic fluid in the helm regularly and replenish, if necessary". I don't recall seeing a hydraulic reservoir in the helm.

blackhawkpilot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Dropped off the boat at the dealer on Thursday afternoon, it was done and complete on Friday. Picked up on Saturday morning and got out on the water (unexpectedly) Saturday afternoon. Apparently, one of the buckets was loose causing a vibration that resonated through the steering cable all the way up to the steering column. We did hear a slight chatter on the way out to the island, however, coming back in, we heard nothing at all. I'm going to call it fixed for now. We'll see what happens through the summer.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Dropped off the boat at the dealer on Thursday afternoon, it was done and complete on Friday. Picked up on Saturday morning and got out on the water (unexpectedly) Saturday afternoon. Apparently, one of the buckets was loose causing a vibration that resonated through the steering cable all the way up to the steering column. We did hear a slight chatter on the way out to the island, however, coming back in, we heard nothing at all. I'm going to call it fixed for now. We'll see what happens through the summer.
Was it this same as this:
https://jetboaters.net/threads/vortex-bucket-bolts-back-out-shreds.13485/#post-234776

Should be relatively easy to watch this, if that is the issue.

--

blackhawkpilot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length