• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

242 limited s e series starboard engine not cranking

Andysendra

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Other
So I have an issue with my Yamaha jetboat where when I push the start button for my starboard engine nothing happens at all. The port motor starts up just fine with no check engine. Previously the starboard motor gave us a check engine with the full byte code 0xc1, but after switching the ecus from one motor to another and back the codes cleared and went away. Now we have the port engine running just fine no codes and the starboard not making one noise not even a click.

We've tried disconnecting the batteries/solar panels several times and checked every fuse in the boat. Everything in the boat looks brand new and every fuse is good as the boat only has 20 hours. Were at a dead end and don't know what to do and taking the boat out of the water is a hard task so were trying to avoid that and fix it ourselves.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I know this sounds ridiculous, but it’s happened before. Check to see that you’re in neutral.

Andysendra

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Other
I know this sounds ridiculous, but it’s happened before. Check to see that you’re in neutral.
Yea we checked that. We've been been attempting to fix this for 3 days, but thank you

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
you’ve probably checked these, as well?

Also, the kill switches under the back deck by the clean out tubes.

Also the kill switch by the lanyard.

Andysendra

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Other
you’ve probably checked these, as well?

Also, the kill switches under the back deck by the clean out tubes.

Also the kill switch by the lanyard.
Thank you we checked the rear kill switch. keep in mind the port engine turns over so unless there is a kill switch for each engine individually than I'm not sure.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Thank you we checked the rear kill switch. keep in mind the port engine turns over so unless there is a kill switch for each engine individually than I'm not sure.
I thought there was 2, but I could be thinking about my old boat. They were next to each other under the hatch. I can’t remember exactly what my new boat has.

Andysendra

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Other
I thought there was 2, but I could be thinking about my old boat. They were next to each other under the hatch. I can’t remember exactly what my new boat has.
Yea i looked and its one switch at the back end of the compartment

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I had an instance on my boat, during a crises actually, that I couldn’t get my engine to turn over. The problem was actually where the key was inserted. Although the key was turning, the key was not turning anything behind the console, if that makes any sense. I had to play with it before it would grab hold. No need to reply. Just throwing stuff your way to help troubleshoot.

Andysendra

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Other
I had an instance on my boat, during a crises actually, that I couldn’t get my engine to turn over. The problem was actually where the key was inserted. Although the key was turning, the key was not turning anything behind the console, if that makes any sense. I had to okay with it before it would grab hold. No need to reply. Just throwing stuff your way to help troubleshoot.
Don't worry I'm asking for anything you can think of I'm just stumped at my position. The boat is push start with one key to turn on all electronics and the lanyard kill switch.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I’m waiting for @swatski to chime in. He’ll have some sound advice.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@tek4fun any thoughts on this issue?

I assume you checked the connections behind the push button starts?

Did you do anything different before this began happening? Just came out of storage? Or was it running one day, then not the next?

Andysendra

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Other
@tek4fun any thoughts on this issue?

I assume you checked the connections behind the push button starts?

Did you do anything different before this began happening? Just came out of storage? Or was it running one day, then not the next?
We swapped the engine start switches and they both work. I'm not exactly sure when it happened but we don't use the boat often and the last time we ran it a rope got caught in the impeller. We turned off the engines and pulled it out and drove home fine. Later we ended up getting a check engine on the port that became unrelated to the problem. We ran the boat with this check engine and it went away.
We left the boat for 3 months and came back to a starboard check engine and no cranking at all with the port completly fine. Now we have no check engines or fault codes and the starboard still doesn't turn. We did look at the impeller to see if there was debree and it is clear, but still wouldn't explain nothing happening at all.

Liftr

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I think it’s a pure electrical problem.
Do you have continuity from the push button to the starter solenoid?
Have you applied a 12V jumper directly to the starter?

Andysendra

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Other
I think it’s a pure electrical problem.
Do you have continuity from the push button to the starter solenoid?
Have you applied a 12V jumper directly to the starter?
We don't want to apply a jumper directly to the starter. but do you know where exactly the starter solenoid is on this boat

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Check the battery in your key FOB?

Andysendra

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Other
Check the battery in your key FOB?
thanks but there's no key fob it's just 1 small key and the engine kill switch to turn on the electronics and then the engines are push start

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It does sound like kill switch, or the neutral...
I can not find my repair manual but are you sure there aren't two cleanout port kill switches?
It's not the lanyard, I think, with the lanyard pulled out (or bad switch) it would still crank.
Is there a way to bypass the ignition? My boat has aftermarket start/stop not factory so I'm not familiar with those.
But it sounds like is either the stern kill switch, the neutral (binnacle) sensor, or some connection between the ignition and the starter... If the starter died you would still hear something clicking, right?

--

Liftr

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
If the starter was bad, you would still hear the solenoid click. (Assuming good voltage)
If the solenoid is bad, (or ignition switch/wiring) you get nothing.

Andysendra

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Other
It does sound like kill switch, or the neutral...
I can not find my repair manual but are you sure there aren't two cleanout port kill switches?
It's not the lanyard, I think, with the lanyard pulled out (or bad switch) it would still crank.
Is there a way to bypass the ignition? My boat has aftermarket start/stop not factory so I'm not familiar with those.
But it sounds like is either the stern kill switch, the neutral (binnacle) sensor, or some connection between the ignition and the starter... If the starter died you would still hear something clicking, right?

--
I believe it's some sort of connection but i haven't looked at that yet that's just what I concluded after working on it today. Ill look tomorrow