• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

242 stereo upgrade coming soon!

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Big thanks to Odin at Earmark for helping me decide on a stereo upgrade for my 242. I ordered earlier today, so now the waiting for the shipment to arrive begins. Replacing all 6 factory Polk speakers with JL mx650's, and adding two additional mx650's in the cabin area next to the driver and passenger seat. All 8 will be powered by a M800/8v2 amp. Also installing a m10ib5 subwoofer powered by a M200/2 amp. Can't wait to hear the improvement over stock. Will document my install here once I receive everything.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Last minute decision but also going with a wet sounds ws-420 equalizer.

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Sounds like a good plan!

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That will be a kick butt system. If you have not already ordered wire and perhaps even if you have check out knukoncepts.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
That will be a kick butt system. If you have not already ordered wire and perhaps even if you have check out knukoncepts.
Yeah ordered all wire and connections too from earmark. Going to see how it sounds before adding tower speakers. Was very close to adding a pair of wet sounds rev 10's, but man they are pricey.

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
This will be nice and setting all of this up will only make you want the tower speakers even more. You will be thinking that this sounds so good, imagine what it will sound like with the Tower speakers. I bet you wonder how I know.............;).

Jasonsbiz74

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Ok @MattFX4 ....we bought our boats about the same time, now stereo upgrades at the same time too. I'm switching out polk's for jl's as well, but you should check out the jl 8.8's instead of another set of 6's. I had them in my last boat and they sound amazing!! Just my 2 cents. I'm going rev8's up top, my first experience w wet sounds... hope they sound as good as everyone say they do.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Ok @MattFX4 ....we bought our boats about the same time, now stereo upgrades at the same time too. I'm switching out polk's for jl's as well, but you should check out the jl 8.8's instead of another set of 6's. I had them in my last boat and they sound amazing!! Just my 2 cents. I'm going rev8's up top, my first experience w wet sounds... hope they sound as good as everyone say they do.
ha that's funny. Well I thought about JL 7.7's in the cockpit for the two additional speakers, but after talking with Odin at Earmark he didn't recommend mixing them in with the other 6 6.5's. Something about speakers crossing, and the lowest bass they will play will be the lowest bass the 6.5's can handle. I am no audio expert so I trusted him. He said it should sound great with the 8 650's amped up. I am going to see how it sounds with the 650's and sub before deciding on tower speakers. I think I will be pleased. Not looking to provide music for the entire cove, just for the folks on my boat. I also noticed you have a promariner 20+ charger. That's funny because I just installed the cabelas 20+ 3 bank charger the other week. It's basically the Promariner rebranded for Cabelas. I'm still running the factory dual battery interstate's right now. Going to see how well they hold up with the new system before upgrading batteries.

Jasonsbiz74

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yes, I added the 3 bank and a third battery. I'm not sure if I need the extra juice or not but I'm basically rebuilding the system I had in my 06 AR210 (with a few changes). Going with the 6-JL6's, 2 8.8's and 2 600/6ch JL amps. My plan is to add a pair of rev8's as well. I'm going to do this all at once and be done. I've asked a few ppl on this forum and most recommend just doing the tower speakers from the beginning. That JL 800 looks to be a awesome amp too....I debated about getting that one too. The write ups on it are really good. Where do you think your going to mount the ws 420 ? I had one in my AR but this time was thinking about going with the 2 level control knobs (JL HD RLC).

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Jasonsbiz74 that sounds like a good set up also. I hope I don't regret not adding towers. Do you know if JL makes a good tower speaker? I have seen the 7.7's and 8.8's in tower cans, but not sure how they compare to a wet sounds rev 8 or rev 10. Pretty sure I will end up yanking my current house battery and replace with two group 31 AGM batteries from Sam's club. They have them for $179. That way I will have one factory starting battery, and two group 31 house batteries.

I am not sure where I will put the ws420. I hope to put it somewhere in the helm area so I can have access to it while in the driver's seat. I thought about just doing control knobs to control sub, and swim platform speakers, but just decided to splurge a little more for the ws420. I like the mic feature if I ever do get towers. Everything should be in today and tomorrow. Will try to install as soon as possible once it's delivered.

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I haven't heard the JL towers, but they make top notch stuff. I would assume their tower speakers are no different and would sound outstanding. However, comparing them to the REV 8's and REV 10's is simply apples and oranges. The technologies are different. The JL will probably sound better while in the cabin, lounging on the swim deck or possibly even surfing. The Wetsounds are HLCD speakers (horn loaded compression driver). They are meant to project sound at wake distances and beyond. Don't get me wrong....the Wetsounds still sound decent up close, but where they really shine is farther away. If you are building a party boat or just like to show off.....go Wetsounds REV. Otherwise, look at the JL or even Wetsounds ICON series.

Jasonsbiz74

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I was originally going to go with the JL tower speakers (to keep all equipment the same name brand), but after asking around (to ppl on this site and others) the consensus was that a few started with JL's and
then moved to the Wetsounds. I figure I would just save myself the set and just get them from the rip. I really like the way the JL cans look too, a little more slim than the WS's. I've never personally heard WS cans so literally I'm listening to others. Everyone that has heard them say JL doesn't compare. The WS 420 is a great piece to add, Ive been on the fence about it.

As for the batteries, I had 2 group 29 Crown Batteries in my AR and they held power for days. They were awesome!

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
A lot of people end up making the jump to Wetsounds after hearing what they are capable of. If you have never heard s properly power HLCD speaker.....it's almost creepy what they can do. The WS-420 is a great piece. I have been running it for a couple of seasons.

Jasonsbiz74

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@redthumper9 I am seriously torn on the WS vs JL can issue. We don't do very much watersports at all if any. A little tubing but mostly cruising and chilling. I love that my new 242 LS has the transom speakers but I want a little more so tower speakers seem to be the way to go. Being I've never heard any of the WS's How are the ICON's ?

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
As for the batteries, I had 2 group 29 Crown Batteries in my AR and they held power for days. They were awesome!
I agree...I run crown's in my golf cart (No, I am not an old fogey. I have an awesome tricked out cart we cruise around the neighborhood in) and they are strong! May look in to them to see what they offer in marine batteries.

Jasonsbiz74

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
**correction, I had 2 group 27 Crown Deep cycle marine batteries.....They were awesome !

I have a Yamaha golf cart I bought years ago, my buddy stretched it for me to seat 6, It's never been finished and is now sitting in my buddies garage. It runs and stops, but no body parts.

Jasonsbiz74

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
These are a few pics I just pulled up from my AR210 battery upgrade......Pre group 27 and then the group 27 add....geez those things are big.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
looks good. did you have any issues with weight on one side of the boat?

Jasonsbiz74

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I did not .... I had the 2 grp 27 batteries on one side and the house battery and on board charger on the other which helped even out the weight plus stored extra gear on that side too

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@redthumper9 I am seriously torn on the WS vs JL can issue. We don't do very much watersports at all if any. A little tubing but mostly cruising and chilling. I love that my new 242 LS has the transom speakers but I want a little more so tower speakers seem to be the way to go. Being I've never heard any of the WS's How are the ICON's ?
I can't honestly say I've heard the ICON's. If I were you, and I was not interested in being "king of the water" or did not do much in the way if watersports, I'd go JL and keep everything in the boat somewhat matching......however....if you do get that itch, the REV's will scratch it like no other. Just remember, if you are not capable of providing 250+ watts to each one, you'll either want to add an amp or go a different direction. They love power!