• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

242X 2017 VS 2020 pros/cons

Avidgrant

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So I am looking at 2 boats- a 2017 and a 2020 242X. They are both in equavelently good condition. They both basically have the same amenities.... ballast- larger bimini, etc. But what are the little differences between the 2 that make one much better then the other. The 17 has actual guages- which I'm looking at as a positive- should it be? It also does NOT have the sunroof bimini- which I feel is just another thing to break, and it has the solid solar chargers- once again.... is it relevant? The 2020 has "surfpoint" and the larger Connex screen- no physical guages, Sunroof Bimini. What else am i missing here? Anyone have both, or have objective opinions about both, or ?? Help me Jetboaters.net, you are my only hope.

ElJefeClicko

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
2020 owner here. I shopped a 2018 model beforehand, but not 2017. Specific to the attributes you mentioned, I am pleased with both the design and durability of the Bimini. It shades well, which is good for those who prefer not to always have to be in the sun, and looks awesome. Screens vs. gauges is a pick-your-poison thing, as there are pros and cons to both. But I've been pleased thus far with the digital approach, along with the features that it brings with it. I imagine that's all you're going to be able to get moving forward, so you're going to have the make the jump to digital some time. :) Good luck, and decide soon so you don't miss out!

Avidgrant

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
thanks- how many hours you have on your boat.

Avidgrant

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
oh wow- you are really boating it up! Where do you boat?

SarahStorms

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
2019 242X- We did have an issue with the Bimini top on ours but for 2 reasons- the dealer installed it wrong and it tore when we brought it home... Thankfully they were fair about it and we received a new one. We bought our 19' in April of 20' so we just left the same top on (after correcting the configuration) for the rest of the season. However the snaps on the sunroof should have been greased (by us) and we left the sunroof open for a short tow home (4 mi) and a corner came loose from the snaps, busting the zipper. In hind sight we're idiots and luckily we didn't put the new top on, but really the top holds up well even at freeway speeds when closed and installed properly. It is nice to be able to let a little extra sun in when you need it.
I think the real factor would be price. Go with what you can comfortably afford and amenities you won't wish for later.

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
We have the 2016 Limited SE with the large Bimini. Don't have the sunroof option, but if we did, I don't think we would ever use it. Have or have not would not be an issue for me.

Avidgrant

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
sadly due to a family emergency i have had to pass on both units. So there is a nice 2020 for sale from a user on here- 69k with 20 hours). Cant beat that, and there is another one in Philly- that's a 17 with 30 hours and looks like it just came off the showroom. he was asking 65k, but would take 63k. Maybe this info will help someone. Thanks for the great responses- and Take care.

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Sorry for you current circumstance! Best of luck to you and your family!