• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

242xe 2016. Is it surfable.

Brad Dunn

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Looking at a 2016 242xe. Can you surf behind it with stock ballast rope less or do you need extra ballast. Say 200lb person. Thanks

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Couple extra bags and a wake wedge will get you there. :thumbsup:

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Julian. . . Have you surfed yours?

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The answer is...."that depends".....

Depends on:
  1. How much you weigh
  2. How big your board is
  3. How many friends (aka added ballast) you have on board
But in general, a 200lb guy on a normal size board can just surf ropeless behind a 242x (not straight line). Not doing big tricks etc....and you will have to be a decent surfer to do this. So get some ballast (or friends).... :)

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looking at a 2016 242xe. Can you surf behind it with stock ballast rope less or do you need extra ballast. Say 200lb person. Thanks
No.

EDIT: You will need A LOT of additional ballast to list the boat and the wake wedge or a flap - at the minimum.

--

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
CLARIFICATION:
So, someone has done it - there is a report from @Hana (post #466) of surfing ropeless behind a stock 2016 242x. So, it is possible to go ropeless stock.

Would I want to do it? No. How do I know? I have three 800lbs bags in rear lockers and center/ski, about twice the factory. I need more ballast on top of swim platform and a rear seat to even begin to see a surfable wake.

--

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Man they advertise this boat as a surf boat
...and is priced in the same realm as some of the 'budget' wake/surf boats by Supreme, Moomba, Axis, etc.

Last edited:

Brad Dunn

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'll let you guys now. I'm picking up a low hour used 242xe tomorrow. I confedent we will get it to work good enough for us surfing.

Brad Dunn

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
First trip and happy. Almost everything is an upgrade on the new 242 from our 16 ar 192. More power, room, hinged seats, the context much better info and very nice for towing so far.
With stock ballast my 14 year old step daughter would surf ropeless. The rest of us could not. We have the Galtin wake maker but is mounted on wrong side for us. We will switch that and try extra ballast.
Top speed is only 42 mph 4 people 45 with 2 people on board. It's fine but seems lower than expected. We are at about 2000 ft.