• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

25’ Top Speed Mods

ThunderRobo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Alight, before I go down this rabbit hole, I just want to bounce my thoughts off members of JB.

Recently upgraded from a 19’ to a 24.5’, while I’m very happy with the (4pax) 5800rpm/30mph/11.8gph cruise, there’s always a itch for modifications right?

Boat: 252SE
Top Speed 47.6MPH @ 7600rpm
Altitude: 840’msl
Ambient Temps: 60-85f

Since the boat is already able to sit at the factory limiter, I think I’m going to start with the L13 Cones in an effort to increase top-end thrust/speed. If/when I am not able to maintain the 7600rpm at WOT, I’ll then do the panel filter and ribbon delete, and then finally bore out the jet nozzle as needed to get RPMs back into that 7600rpm range.

Just wanted to double check that this is what others would do as well.
Thanks!

Attachments

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This has been addressed many times and what has been found is you wont find and significant gains to be made of any mods you will do

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just some friendly advice, take it for what it is worth. You are going to spend money, invalidate your warranty and possibly pick up a negligible few MPH give or take, maybe. Not too mention you may create other problems. Of course it is your boat and it sounds like you very mechanically inclined.

Last edited:

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
My old 2015 would do 45 and my new one 50 or so. Never found the need to go faster than this. Wife seems to like 30-35. Daughter loves speed like me and 50 seems plenty fast enough. I wouldn’t think of modifying my boat to gain a few mph. To each their own though and hope it works for you!

KCAR250

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Why not just do the ribbon delete and see what happens since that’s basically free. Also, mods won’t void the warranty! The only way the dealer would deny a claim is if the mod was the reason for the claim. I mean if you do a ribbon delete and your steering cable is loose and needs fixed, it has nothing to do with the mod. It helps if you have a good dealer too but I’d have no problem doing some mods. I have a GP1800R SVHO with mods and warranty is still good!

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Why not just do the ribbon delete and see what happens since that’s basically free. Also, mods won’t void the warranty! The only way the dealer would deny a claim is if the mod was the reason for the claim. I mean if you do a ribbon delete and your steering cable is loose and needs fixed, it has nothing to do with the mod. It helps if you have a good dealer too but I’d have no problem doing some mods. I have a GP1800R SVHO with mods and warranty is still good!
Mods on the engine CAN and very well Could void the engine warranty on those specific things if it modifies the engine in anyway and that would be at Yamaha's discretion. Of course if your steering goes and you modded the engine I am sure your steering would still be covered. Go bore out your jet pumps and go have Yamaha replace a blown engine and see how far you get with that......

And to be honest the only reason I have an extended warranty is for the engines and electronics. Everything else I can take care of.

KCAR250

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Mods on the engine CAN and very well Could void the engine warranty on those specific things if it modifies the engine in anyway and that would be at Yamaha's discretion. Of course if your steering goes and you modded the engine I am sure your steering would still be covered. Go bore out your jet pumps and go have Yamaha replace a blown engine and see how far you get with that......

And to be honest the only reason I have an extended warranty is for the engines and electronics. Everything else I can take care of.
Yes, as I stated if the mod is what caused the failure that wouldn’t be covered. Otherwise you warranty is still fine! Again, after owning several WaveRunners with mods I have no fear in doing the basics. I’ve even did custom tunes and Yamaha had no problem with it. Warranty still good!

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Perhaps I should of been more specific in my original post, although I thought the meaning was understood I was talking in the context of engines and engine mods since that was topic of discussion for the OP. My bad...

All things considered, in the end it will be up to Yamaha what they feel like covering or not, and up to the owner how much they want to spend in trying to get them to perform the work. People with legitimate issues such as broken driveshafts are having difficulty it appears.... Giving them excuses on a brand new boat, especially built during Covid, to deny a claim may not be the prudent thing to do, especially on an engine. What that line is to cross I am unsure. Each to their own.

Last edited:

KCAR250

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Perhaps I should of been more specific in my original post, although I thought the meaning was understood I was talking in the context of engines and engine mods since that was topic of discussion for the OP. My bad...

All things considered, in the end it will be up to Yamaha what they feel like covering or not, and up to the owner how much they want to spend in trying to get them to perform the work. People with legitimate issues such as broken driveshafts are having difficulty it appears.... Giving them excuses on a brand new boat, especially built during Covid, to deny a claim may not be the prudent thing to do, especially on an engine. What that line is to cross I am unsure. Each to their own.
No I know what you meant, it still won’t VOID your warranty by doing mods. They may deny claims if the mod was the cause of a failure but you still have a warranty. I know idiots that did a 9k RPM tune and blew the supercharger and Yamaha still choose to covered it (didn’t have too). If I do a ribbon delete and the driveshaft breaks it’s still going to be covered. An engine mod doesn’t void the whole engine. If I change ride plates, impellers, intakes, iridium plugs whatever it is they still have to say that the failure was a result of what you did and usually Yamaha will still cover it. Most of the common mods aren’t going to cause huge failures. Never heard of a ribbon delete blowing an engine.

ThunderRobo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Thanks for the input everyone!

My thoughts only; Ribbon deletes, Panel filter and L13 Cone are all easily reversible items and my guess is that my dealer wouldn’t even know that I had messed with it.

I did the ribbon delete, snorkel delete and K&N filter this past week and took it out on the water yesterday, as to be expected, there is no top speed increases (Already sitting at 7600rpm) BUT there’s significantly less rpm drop when cornering (at full lock) at WOT. It is now able to maintain 7200-7300 RPMs in the corners compared to ~6800rpm prior to the deletes - in similar conditions.

Waiting for the Cones to arrive from Riva, will report back when they’re in.

KCAR250

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the input everyone!

My thoughts only; Ribbon deletes, Panel filter and L13 Cone are all easily reversible items and my guess is that my dealer wouldn’t even know that I had messed with it.

I did the ribbon delete, snorkel delete and K&N filter this past week and took it out on the water yesterday, as to be expected, there is no top speed increases (Already sitting at 7600rpm) BUT there’s significantly less rpm drop when cornering (at full lock) at WOT. It is now able to maintain 7200-7300 RPMs in the corners compared to ~6800rpm prior to the deletes - in similar conditions.

Waiting for the Cones to arrive from Riva, will report back when they’re in.
Did you notice a difference in hole shot?

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
Unless your trying to fix a cavitation issue dont waste your money on a l13 cone. Believe me, i spent 2 years, each week tweaking and tuning one along with boring the nozzle to different specs. In the end i got the best top end out of the stock cone. This is on a 450hp, 90mph fzs. They are fine if your cavitating. It will fix that but even with that you are better with a solas concord impeller over the stock yamaha. They hold a ton of power with zero cav. Of course do your ribbon delete and intake. From there the best bang for your buck will be a tune. Its the inly thing that is really going to give you more top end. Bump the limiter to 8k. If you dont go over 8k then you can reflash your original tune back to the ecu if you need to get warranty work done and you think your dealer is going to make it a problem. With all that said, fuel=power so expect your range to drop like a rock and fuel consumption to skyrocket. While i love my ski. Its a total rush to ride it but i also turned it into something i cant do much with. It holds 18gal and i can suck the tank dry in 40min. I can rip around by myself for 1/2hr then its back on the trailer. I cant really go anywhere with it.

KCAR250

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Unless your trying to fix a cavitation issue dont waste your money on a l13 cone. Believe me, i spent 2 years, each week tweaking and tuning one along with boring the nozzle to different specs. In the end i got the best top end out of the stock cone. This is on a 450hp, 90mph fzs. They are fine if your cavitating. It will fix that but even with that you are better with a solas concord impeller over the stock yamaha. They hold a ton of power with zero cav. Of course do your ribbon delete and intake. From there the best bang for your buck will be a tune. Its the inly thing that is really going to give you more top end. Bump the limiter to 8k. If you dont go over 8k then you can reflash your original tune back to the ecu if you need to get warranty work done and you think your dealer is going to make it a problem. With all that said, fuel=power so expect your range to drop like a rock and fuel consumption to skyrocket. While i love my ski. Its a total rush to ride it but i also turned it into something i cant do much with. It holds 18gal and i can suck the tank dry in 40min. I can rip around by myself for 1/2hr then its back on the trailer. I cant really go anywhere with it.
Do people tune non SVHO engines? I have a maptunerX but the tunes are like $550 for each engine. Not sure if the gains would be worth $1100. I’d be curious how the solas do on the 24.5ft boats.

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
I haven't heard of many. It will get expensive for minimal gains on the std 1.8. I thought you had an svho. It will take you alot of money to make next to no improvement on those. A solas wont add to top end. It will eliminate cavitation and allow you to hold the extra power you would be pumping out when making mods. With no supercharger though its a waste. Your beating a dead horse here. Just run the boat and be happy with it or sell it and put an order for one with svho’s

KCAR250

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I haven't heard of many. It will get expensive for minimal gains on the std 1.8. I thought you had an svho. It will take you alot of money to make next to no improvement on those. A solas wont add to top end. It will eliminate cavitation and allow you to hold the extra power you would be pumping out when making mods. With no supercharger though its a waste. Your beating a dead horse here. Just run the boat and be happy with it or sell it and put an order for one with svho’s
I have a GP SVHO but I was talking about the 25ft boats.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Doesn't seem worth it on a 80k boat. 45mph is fast as hell on this thing... its not even enjoyable.