• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2500 HD Duramax

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I’m swapping my Tahoe out for a new ‘19 2500 duramax tomorrow. This is my first heavy duty rig with the larger receiver. Can someone recommend hitch, height, style, etc so I can be prepared to get the boat out of winter storage at the end of this month?

Boat is 2007 SX 230 mfi galvanized trailer

Thanks
Mark

Attachments

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
When I bought my 3/4 ton truck I used the same hitch I had.. then measured the height difference for. Level trailer. And then bought the hitch from there.

AJack

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If it has a 2.5" receiver, ensure that they include the 2" adapter or buy a 2.5" receiver.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If it has a 2.5" receiver, ensure that they include the 2" adapter or buy a 2.5" receiver.
Right. I am curious about level of drop for a new receiver. I might just splurge and go for an adjustable b&w hitch...

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
My ‘08 Tahoe (stock) hitch is actually taller than my F250. I have a 4” drop on my Tahoe and a typical 2” drop on my truck. Unless youve got a real long tow home, I’d just go get it and get the right hitch from there. :)

AJack

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Typically, 2500s have a higher hitch height than 3500s. On my 3500 Dually, I had to flip my hitch so that it has a 1.5" rise.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My ‘08 Tahoe (stock) hitch is actually taller than my F250. I have a 4” drop on my Tahoe and a typical 2” drop on my truck. Unless youve got a real long tow home, I’d just go get it and get the right hitch from there. :)
Good to know... since this is a new truck, it’s mandatory that I buy a new hitch. :)

My current is a 4” drop with a 2” receiver. The 3/4 ton has the 2.5” receiver. I’d prefer just to get a new hitch and not mess with the adapter.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Good to know... since this is a new truck, it’s mandatory that I buy a new hitch. :)

My current is a 4” drop with a 2” receiver. The 3/4 ton has the 2.5” receiver. I’d prefer just to get a new hitch and not mess with the adapter.
Update.. in the glove box is the 2.5 -> 2” reducer and includes a pin! I will use the Tahoe’s hitch and evaluate if I need to go for a 2” drop with the duramax.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I’m swapping my Tahoe out for a new ‘19 2500 duramax tomorrow. This is my first heavy duty rig with the larger receiver. Can someone recommend hitch, height, style, etc so I can be prepared to get the boat out of winter storage at the end of this month?

Boat is 2007 SX 230 mfi galvanized trailer

Thanks
Mark
How do you like the new Truck? My 06 2500 LT duramax is getting old and we are thinking on registering it as an Agricutural vehicle, farm use only, which means don't get stopped towing a boat. That will drop reg. fees for 1 year, from $176 to $42. But we are looking at new(er) GMC or Chevy Duramax's with LTZ trim to replace the Farm Truck. Looking at MY 15' thru 19'. I like the 15'/16's but the wife likes the 19's. I mean there is savings by buying used, last new truck was 23 years ago, but is not that big as newer used trucks hold their value. The mileage on some used range from 40k, "barely broke in" on a Duramax to over 100k. Bought our current truck with 72k on it and replaced complete transfer case with in a year, under warrantee. So, any good deals in your area on the years mentioned? They put a premium on trucks in this neck of the woods and there is not much wiggle room. No red or black trucks please. We may look at a blue one in NY or another in Ma.

Last edited:

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
How do you like the new Truck? My 06 2500 LT duramax is getting old and we are thinking on registering it as an Agricutural vehicle, farm use only, which means don't get stopped towing a boat. That will drop fees for 1 year, from $176 to $42. But we are looking at new(er) GMC or Chevy Duramax's with LTZ trim to replace the Farm Truck. Looking at MY 15' thru 19'. I like the 15'/16's but the wife likes the 19's. I mean there is savings by buying used, last new truck was 23 years ago, but is not that big as newer used trucks hold their value. The mileage on some used range from 40k, "barely broke in" on a Duramax to over 100k. Bought our current truck with 72k on it and replaced complete transfer case with in a year, under warrantee. So, any good deals in your area on the years mentioned? They put a premium on trucks in this neck of the woods and there is not much wiggle room. No red or black trucks please. We may look at a blue one in NY or another in Ma.
I like it! It drives on the highway and is SOLID like a slab of granite. I didn’t intend to go 3/4 ton but my wife started talking at the dealership about campers and that kind of opened the door to the diesel.

Deal wise, they gave me a great trade on the Tahoe. It was a cream puff with 67k miles. Incrementally saved on the sales tax as the trade offsets the taxable value of the new vehicle.

I suggest going with the 17->19 cause you get the L5P latest gen duramax. It’s a beast; 450hp and 900 lb/ft torque.

I’ll get some pic with it hooked up with the boat and post maybe this weekend if the rain holds out.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Also, I HATE the styling of the 2020 model Chevy 2500. I don’t really like the current 1500 styling either. I guess I’m too conservative.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Next door just traded his '16 2500 Silverado for a '19 1500 Silverado. Said the power drop from the Duramax to the 5.3 is noticeable, but the ride is considerably better. He works as a construction foreman, and one of the conditions of his $700/mo vehicle allowance is that the truck be newer than 3yrs old, and have an "open bed" for hauling misc stuff. Said he's the first in the company to drop out of the 2500 class pickups as a foreman. His experience will dictate if others follow. I was a little shocked since he regularly drags a large trailer and skid-steer home between jobs. New truck is going to be significantly more taxed doing that chore than his last one. My crystal ball tells me he'll go back to a 2500 within a few years.

The styling on this thing though.......also not for me as others have mentioned.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We used to have a 11' 1500 Silverado with the 5.3l and its transmission. Did not like that package for towing and the clunkyness of the shifts was not even close to being as smooth as the allison. I know completely different. My 06 duramax/allison still is smooth as silk. And I got about 5MPG better during daily driving. We only had that truck for 2 years. I am spoiled now after driving a Duramax for the last 7 years, and I have a hard time looking at anything less. I still have a need for towing 12000# hay wagons, no brakes, up Hardscrabble Hill, would never try that with the other truck.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@zipper l5p specifications eye candy:

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
In NY about 12k off on Chevy 2500 with the Duramax. Healey Chevy in Middletown NY. 69k sticker sticker 57k price. As of yesterday.
And nice truck Mark good luck.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Well... I jumped the shark with this truck. Here’s my rationale:

1. I typically drive ~5 miles a day during the week and don’t really travel much at highway speeds.
2. We won the right to a dock and will be wet slipping for the next five years assuming we don’t sell our boat for some reason.
3. Regen was kicking in on the exhaust filter cleaning process few times per month.

I couldn’t wrap my head around using it as a daily driver and towing only 2x per year. Therefore, I traded it for a 1500 Silverado with the 6.2 gasser. The ride is more compliant and I’m digging the 10 speed automatic. It’s almost as smooth as the 6 speed Allison on the duramax. I got hurt a little on the equity with the trade but I was able to get relief on the sales tax on the 1/2 ton with what he gave me on the 3/4 in trade.

The other thread about diesel/gas kind of got me thinking about this... another way jetboaters.net prompted commerce!