• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

252SD vs AR210 vs AR240 BoatTest

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I got my typical email from BoatTest.com today with a link to their review of the 2021 252SD.

Yamaha 252SD (2021-) | BoatTEST

It is a pretty sweet looking boat no doubt. Sitting at $82k ++

But, I was a bit surprised at the range and top speed of the boat, with minimal load on board. 43.8 MPH and 117 Miles on the range at full out. I would assume if you were loaded up it you would be hard pressed to crack 37-38 mph or so full out if you were lucky.

Very similar to the SX210/AR210 although the 252SD has a bit more range, especially in the sweet spot.
Yamaha SX210 (2019-) | BoatTEST

Then looking at the AR240, since I couldn't find the AR250 numbers, range is much closer but top end is 8-9mph.
Yamaha AR240 (2019-) | BoatTEST
I would like to see some real numbers of the AR250 with the 70 gallon tank. Has anyone came across them as of yet?

TimW451

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Significant weight differences.
Dry weights:
2021 252SD 4,612 lbs.
2021 AR250 4,034 lbs.
2019 AR240 3,660 lbs.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes I am aware of that. Thank You. But I would like to get the range and top speeds and burn rate/range through the curve on the AR250. Within the curve where we mostly boat, is full out crossing many miles of open water so that would take range into affect, as well as 6000 - 6500/6800 rpm's (TR-1's that we have) for comparison, For tubing with 6-8 on board for 4-6 hours continuous.

The reasons we are considering upgrading are slightly taller Freeboard, Head Compartment, Increased Range and/or duration doing the watersports we do. The majority of the time I am towing all the kids around and around all day long. All the plush luxury doesn't interest us. I can upgrade speakers and other small things and save between 20-42k in additional funds and use the boat exactly how I would use a newer or bigger model.

Of course there is a value point as well. I purchased the AR210 for 42k out the door. If I drop another say 18k for an AR250 does that benefit our use case enough. I do get a head and a bit more freeboard, but if range and burn rate during watersports are not improved for our specific use cases then, it could be an AR240 or possibly a 212 or the reality of it may be just to add a trolling motor mod and stick with what we have, till our use case changes. Of course prices continually keep going up, so thinking a lot about what the optimum choice is for us.

Looking to see some AR250 numbers to hopefully validate or invalidate the choice.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would crunch the numbers in the middle between a AR240 and the 252sd given the weight being close to half with more surface in the water
Then figure if that is worth the upgrade.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would crunch the numbers in the middle between a AR240 and the 252sd given the weight being close to half with more surface in the water
Then figure if that is worth the upgrade.
Was thinking the same thing. Used might also be the way to go here.

I would look close at some used '17-'20 AR240's. You'll get the larger 1.8 engines, but not have a ton of "extras" that add weight above the AR210. No ballast system, no e-throttles, No giant metal tube bimini top (both weight, and a sail while under way). It's the basic 24ft that has what @HangOutdoors is looking for (more space, head, etc) without the weight or money penalty.

tkeru408

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
But, I was a bit surprised at the range and top speed of the boat, with minimal load on board. 43.8 MPH and 117 Miles on the range at full out. I would assume if you were loaded up it you would be hard pressed to crack 37-38 mph or so full out if you were lucky.
Thanks for alerting us to the Boat Test Video!

Interesting that his top speed was only 43.8mph. I've had my 252SE up to 45mph and I was not on glass smooth water and I'm guessing we must have outweighed him. He said he had 30% fuel and 3 adults on board (probably no other gear). My SE dry weight is only 59 lbs less than his SD and we had 95+% fuel, 2 adults, 2 kids, and at least another hundred pounds of gear on board. I figure in ideal conditions I could get it at least into the high 40s if not to 50mph.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Perhaps Temperature and Humidity played a roll in the test by looking their test specifications.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Perhaps Temperature and Humidity played a roll in the test by looking their test specifications.
Use Density Altitude to determine if weather conditions contribute to power differences. Drag racers use this all the time to correct(or more accurately calibrate) air/fuel setups for different tracks and different days.

Here's a good writeup on how it effects engine power

JetMania

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
So I got my typical email from BoatTest.com today with a link to their review of the 2021 252SD.

Yamaha 252SD (2021-) | BoatTEST

It is a pretty sweet looking boat no doubt. Sitting at $82k ++

Very similar to the SX210/AR210 although the 252SD has a bit more range, especially in the sweet spot.
Yamaha SX210 (2019-) | BoatTEST

Then looking at the AR240, since I couldn't find the AR250 numbers, range is much closer but top end is 8-9mph.
Yamaha AR240 (2019-) | BoatTEST
I would like to see some real numbers of the AR250 with the 70 gallon tank. Has anyone came across them as of yet?
Thank you for the “heads up” on the boat test. I was waiting to see that. We get 53-54 mph from our 212s. I was thinking about 45 from the 250 series as it feature the same motor set-up. I was kind of thinking a bit more range and the 70 gallon tank would help.

We seem to have plenty of range to wakeboard and tube all day; however, no way we are getting a full Saturday and Sunday of tow sports, though typically we will be mixing in some swimming in the cove. Growing up on Lake Michigan in Racine, WI, I know that the Great Lakes are a whole different animal.

Thanks again! Let us know if you see any more data or reviews.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am almost wondering, which could be a stretch, what if some of the things filtered down to the 21's in a year or two? Higher freeboard, 70 gallon tank and possibly a bigger port compartment for a head. It would be awesome, but wishful thinking. A nice blend.

I would assume that the 212s is the fastest of the Yamaha fleet right now? Another 20 gallons of fuel on board would be awesome. The price point would be palatable as well.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am almost wondering, which could be a stretch, what if some of the things filtered down to the 21's in a year or two? Higher freeboard, 70 gallon tank and possibly a bigger port compartment for a head. It would be awesome, but wishful thinking. A nice blend.

I would assume that the 212s is the fastest of the Yamaha fleet right now? Another 20 gallons of fuel on board would be awesome. The price point would be palatable as well.
Maybe they will stretch it out 6 inches and call it a 22 foot boat. And add a 225 in the line up with superchargers.

JetMania

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Maybe they will stretch it out 6 inches and call it a 22 foot boat. And add a 225 in the line up with superchargers.
That would be a great idea! Then I would be jealous and want to upgrade which is not in the plans. LOL

tkeru408

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I was also wondering if they might redesign the 21' into a 22' foot in the next year or two, essentially trickling down the items to the 21/22' like they did from the 27' to 25' along with some other features that came on the new 25'...sliding rear seats, swim up seating, larger gas tank, taller freeboard, etc.

I also wonder if they'll offer the superchargers in other 25 foot boats beyond just the 255FSH and 255X...perhaps a 255SE and/or a 255SD option. A supercharged 215/225 would be a rocketship!

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It stands to reason though that if they make the 21' (or 22') footers more appealing then they could take away sales of the 25' footers. Just an assumption though.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It stands to reason though that if they make the 21' (or 22') footers more appealing then they could take away sales of the 25' footers. Just an assumption though.
The 21's already sit in an odd space IMO.

The reason for a 19 is the price point, and "garageability". They are easy to get people into the brand with a low starting price, they're easy and inexpensive to operate and own, and they can store in a typical home garage.

Once you move outside the home garage, and move to a higher price point, the lines blur pretty quick. For me anyway, they do. If I'm going to a larger boat, I'm going all the way to 24 ft. The cost difference to tow/store/operate between a 21ft and a 24ft is arguably negligible.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@2kwik4u Very valid points. Although for a base 25' you are starting at 63k, vs something in a top of the line 21' for the same price which would be more appealing to some whom are interested in finish and such. I totally agree with you thought, whether it is 21 or 25 or anywhere in between, my operating costs, towing and storage are the same.

Oren

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Thanks for alerting us to the Boat Test Video!

Interesting that his top speed was only 43.8mph. I've had my 252SE up to 45mph and I was not on glass smooth water and I'm guessing we must have outweighed him. He said he had 30% fuel and 3 adults on board (probably no other gear). My SE dry weight is only 59 lbs less than his SD and we had 95+% fuel, 2 adults, 2 kids, and at least another hundred pounds of gear on board. I figure in ideal conditions I could get it at least into the high 40s if not to 50mph.
Remember that the speedometer isn’t always accurate.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Remember that the speedometer isn’t always accurate.
The speedometer is gps operated not siphon or wheel operated. It is dead on

mpbassett44

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
43mph would be a big reason for me NOT to get this boat! That is super disappointing! Yamaha needs to do something to fix that (or show boattest stats were wrong). They should either build a 23ft with the 1.8 or a 25ft with SVHO motors ($95k ski boat is not an option for me). The 22-24ft Vortex just got a whole lot more appealing to me. I recently sold my 2016 242 Limited knowing I would eventually get another Yamaha, BUT...43mph for almost 80K?!? We would cruise at 40-43mph down the river in Havasu in my old 242. Now that would be WOT?!? Sorry, but that is a deal breaker. My 21ft stern drive went 55mph @260 horsepower. That was great! Then 49-50mph with my 2016 242 limited. Total acceptable top speed! But 43mph WOT might be a little boring, plus the fuel burn is going to be insane!

Last edited:

JetMania

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
43mph would be a big reason for me NOT to get this boat! That is super disappointing! Yamaha needs to do something to fix that (or show boattest stats were wrong). They should either build a 23ft with the 1.8 or a 25ft with SVHO motors ($95k ski boat is not an option for me). The 22-24ft Vortex just got a whole lot more appealing to me. I recently sold my 2016 242 Limited knowing I would eventually get another Yamaha, BUT...43mph for almost 80K?!? We would cruise at 40-43mph down the river in Havasu in my old 242. Now that would be WOT?!? Sorry, but that is a deal breaker. My 21ft stern drive went 55mph @260 horsepower. That was great! Then 49-50mph with my 2016 242 limited. Total acceptable top speed! But 43mph WOT might be a little boring, plus the fuel burn is going to be insane!
I agree with the sentiment. We don’t run rivers, but we do run a lot of smooth lake water and it’s not uncommon to cruise at 40-45 in our 212s which tops out around 54-55. I really wanted to get into a Yamaha and am really happy with our new 212s. However, I’ve seen video from a couple new Vortex boats with the twin 300hp motors and they look ridiculously fast.

I totally agree if your going to spend $60k+ you should be able to get to 50 mph. I know people say the $100k+ surf boats only go 35 or so, but my brother-in-laws new Moomba with the Raptor 450hp motor gets to at least 50, has major league torque generating waves with big time push.

The AR250 seems too slow for the price and the 255 seems too pricey for something that won’t create a wake like a boat that holds 4,000+ pounds in the ballast and weighs almost 6,000 pounds by itself.

I think the 212x seems like the best option, but even with the ballasts fully loaded it will be far too light to create wakes like a v-drive wake surf boat. We may try a wake surf kit to play around, but our real surfing will be behind the in-laws $140k Moomba. We will continue to shred on wakeboards, tune and hang in the cove in our beautiful Yamaha. We can be on our lake in less than 15 minutes and M-F it is always glass smooth unless winds are 20+. There are no homes on the lake, so it’s pretty much like we are on the lake. Sat and Sun through the Summer it get busy during peak hours, but there are almost a dozen really great coves with other boat lovers to hangout with. Yamahas, Chaparrals, Regals and Cobalts dominate our lake in general.

Last edited: