• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2nd Battery Addition on path to 3rd Battery.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sorry another battery thread.......

I have been reading about Second Batteries in the forums here. I can 't seem to find and work out exactly what I want to do and how to do it.

I have a 2020 AR210. It has one battery that came with the boat. It is sunken in under the seat with a cover. It appears that there is room for a second battery in the sunken in area. I would like to add this now. Additionally I will be adding a third battery sometime this summer for a trolling motor. So whatever I do know I want to be on that path. I have seen the Add-A-Battery Kit but I am unsure if I should do that knowing that I will need to add in the third battery later. I don't want to buy and replace, just augment as time rolls on if possible.

1) I haven't purchased the second battery yet, but I want something Solid. It will be my house battery and of course a backup to start the engines if needed.
I have purchased and have in my garage the following items:
ProMariner 44021 ProSportHD Series Battery Charger-20 Amp (Plus)
NOCO GCP1E 15 Amp 125V AC Port Plug Power Inlet with 6-Foot Integrated Extension Cord (dreading the day that I need to drill a big hole in the boat).

For Emergencies I also have this, fully charged and in the boat.
NOCO Boost Plus GB40 1000 Amp 12-Volt Ultra Safe Portable Lithium Car Battery Jump Starter Pack For Up To 6-Liter Gasoline And 3-Liter Diesel Engines

I know I need a switch for the batteries and I am unsure which one to buy, knowing that I will have two batteries now and add a third one later. Also what exact battery should I purchase for the second battery. Looking for advice and recommendations. I don't mind manually switching between them for charging during running if that is the best way.

Also, in very succinct terms what should be wired to which of the two batteries. I have read a bunch of different opinions and implementations.

Really do appreciate all the info on these forums and the advice.

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
If you think you want 2 deep cycle house batteries, then get them now if you want them to charge from the engine. They could then be wired in parallel and if they were not the same type and age,not can cause premature wear and degradation.

If this is what you want then a 2 battery switch / acr combo would be fine. I personally would not overly complicate the system with an extra switch to isolate the 3rd battery. Even 35ft power boats will only have 2 banks if they have 1 engine.

Another possible setup is a start battery for each engine and a seperate house bank.

Or do you want to only charge the 3rd battery when plugged into 120V and not from the engines?

Promariner makes a very nice charger.

Last edited:

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I don't know how happy you will be with a single battery running a 12v trolling motor with a boat that size. I ran that setup on a much smaller boat and if it there was much wind or current the battery would go fairly quickly - like half a day at best on a good deep cycle battery. Once you run it down charging off the engine won't bring it back enough to matter either unless you plan to drive around for 3 hours while it charges.

If you're serious about being out fishing all day you probably want 24v which means two batteries dedicated for the trolling motor that you'll have to charge at home.

If you want the multiple battery setup for just the boat, the best switch setup is the automatic charging DVSR that Yamaha puts in the dual battery boats. It's expensive but you don't have to remember to turn a switch every time you start/stop and it will always charge both batteries when your engines are running.

EDIT: I see the add a battery kit you're talking about has the DVSR switch. That's what I would do for the house battery.

Last edited:

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Alright, so taking the above information into account.

1) The third battery which will eventually be installed for the trolling motor will not be charged off the engine it doesn't make sense, it will only be charged when the charger is plugged in at the house. I was thinking of possibly a 36V 60AH LBS LIFEPO4 BATTERY once I can choke down the cost.
2) This is the switch I am thinking about Blue Seas Add-A-Battery Kit - 120A
3) For the House Battery Optima Batteries 8016-103 D34M BlueTop
4) Also the Charge and NOCO plug from original post.

Looking for confirmation that I am going about this in a good way and my product(s) selection is good. Also any suggestions what to change out of my setup would be appreciated and welcomed.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Alright, so taking the above information into account.

1) The third battery which will eventually be installed for the trolling motor will not be charged off the engine it doesn't make sense, it will only be charged when the charger is plugged in at the house. I was thinking of possibly a 36V 60AH LBS LIFEPO4 BATTERY once I can choke down the cost.
2) This is the switch I am thinking about Blue Seas Add-A-Battery Kit - 120A
3) For the House Battery Optima Batteries 8016-103 D34M BlueTop
4) Also the Charge and NOCO plug from original post.

Looking for confirmation that I am going about this in a good way and my product(s) selection is good. Also any suggestions what to change out of my setup would be appreciated and welcomed.
1-no insight into trolling motors or batteries
2-Perfect choice
3-Optima batteries are great, but VERY expensive. I typically buy deep cycle marine batteries from Advance Auto etc. A group 24 can be had for $155 on sale while the Optima is usually $100 more with the same warranty.
4-I'm not sure the chargers these days differ much. I have an onboard 2 bank Guest charger - happy with it.

Sounds like you have a good plan!

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Julian With respect to the Group 24 Batteries. How many CCA's would you suggest? 650 / 750 /800+ ?

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am planning on installing the second battery (house) after I do some RPM testing this weekend. I have purchased the following item below and I haven't opened it.

I won't be putting in the third Battery till I resolve and finish fabricating the trolling motor mount for the front which is proving to be a bit of a challenge on my boat.

Since I will only have two batteries right now and it is a three bank charger, what would anyone recommend that I do with the third bank wires? Since they won't be connected to a terminal. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I highly recommend the Duracell branded (Deka) deep cycle batteries. You can purchase the group 31 at Sam's Club for about $100. I just did redid my batteries yesterday and am using 3 of these in parallel for the house and one smaller group 24 cranking battery for the start.

A very simple setup would consist of an additional battery with a Perko switch. If you want a third battery, running two deep cycles in one bank (parallel) and a start battery in a second bank is very easy. I did this with an onboard charger for years on my old boat and it had a massive stereo.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes I was looking at those from Sam's Club which I read on another thread here, they look good. I think I get what you are saying.

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I've had good luck with them...... Deka batteries are pretty highly regarded in the marine industry. Just did my new ones yesterday......

IMG_20200610_190607.jpg

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
By the way... If you are planning a third battery, it's best to go ahead and get it. You want the batteries that you run in parallel to be same age, type, quality, size, etc.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I wanted to get the third battery for the trolling motor, something that would stand up to a 112lb thrust Minn Kota. That way I could use each of three banks on the charger.

Battery would be
1) Starter (OEM Original)
2) House
3) Trolling Motor

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I wanted to get the third battery for the trolling motor, something that would stand up to a 112lb thrust Minn Kota. That way I could use each of three banks on the charger.

Battery would be
1) Starter (OEM Original)
2) House
3) Trolling Motor
Are there any 12v 112lb. thrust trolling motors? I would think they would be 24 or 36v and therefore need 2 or 3 batteries wired in series.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Its 36v. Wasn't sure if the 80lbs would be enough, since I have no experience with it. Would be nice if it was since it would save me some dough on motor and battery. I don't know much about batteries and wiring them, etc. Trying to learn.

I can grab one of these as a favor from a client for $900 his cost. Trying to keep the weight down rather then getting 2-3 trolling motor batteries. Perhaps I am going about it the wrong way.

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Not 100% sure, but I believe the lithium batteries have to have a special charger.... So there's that expense too

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So if that is the case, which it probably is. I need to rethink this whole approach.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@redthumper9 Are you running the Duracell Platinum Battery?

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
No sir. Running these......

Screenshot_20200612-075820.png

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well I have the Blue Seas box open and I am reading other threads on the topic of install. I am sure I am going to mess this up.