• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

#3 Spark Plug, MR-1

arew~SX230

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So I changed my spark plugs today, this is the start of my third season with the boat, a 2007 that had less than 30 hours on it when I bought it, and probably has slightly less than 130 now. All of the plugs came out easy enough, and looked great from an insulator and contact/gap point of view. However the number 3 plug on both engines had rust on the non threaded bit at the cylinder end.
Has anyone definitively figured out what causes this to occur?

Thanks,
Andy

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That's a common issue of those engines. Many of these sparks have been snapped off so be happy yours came out.

The issue is that there is an exhaust port that is open near the #3 cylinder and allows moisture to rise into the cylinder.

arew~SX230

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Is it just a proximity thing, or is it the propensity off the MR-1s to come to rest with the #3 exhaust valve open?

Am I over thinking it, and should just change the plugs every year and consider myself lucky they all came out intact after potentially being in there for 10 years ;)

Stuntmanmike

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I would definatly change them every year, and put Anti-sieze on the threads. It gives you the ability to see what the burning condition is in each cylinder.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is it just a proximity thing, or is it the propensity off the MR-1s to come to rest with the #3 exhaust valve open?

Am I over thinking it, and should just change the plugs every year and consider myself lucky they all came out intact after potentially being in there for 10 years ;)
Yeah, you're very lucky if you had them in for 10 years. I agree with @Stuntmanmike, change them every season and use anti seize.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

I remember that @Cobra Jet Steering LLC had a good explaination ...How 'bout it Jeff...got yer ears on?