• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

30hrs on 255 Open 200hp - engine drops a valve...

TimBroom

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
During a week with a bunch of friends, going out on the new 255 Open each day, we were running about 30-35mph, I feel a sudden slow down, but water is smooth and clear I know I didn't hit anything, I see the port motor rpm's about 2500 less than starboard, I move the throttle back and forth thinking maybe grass was in the intake and it just got slower and slower than the engine just stopped. And wouldn't start again.
About 8 miles from home I limped home on one engine about 8mph which is all she was able go with 5 people on the boat without cavitating...
Dealer picked up the boat and told me today that the engine dropped a valve and they were submitting a warranty claim with BRP.
any thoughts or suggestions? anyone experience anything like this? any idea the time the boat will be down?

I am 100% satisfied with the boat, everything has been great, and I have to believe this is just a bit of bad luck... right?
-Tim

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Man I sure hope that's just bad luck. Keep us posted on what happens.

Are those a new design motor in the new design boat, or just a transplant from another model into the new layout? I'm not super familiar with the Scarab lineup.

TimBroom

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
As far as I am told this is the same 200hp motor they have been using for a while...

mferrari

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Impulse
Boat Length
Same motor as 3/4 of a million other 1503s on the water. I would chalk this one up to bad luck, the motors are normally a built proof design.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah that sounds like a bad luck break they are usually good motors. Man those things are just sharp looking a bet people comment about it at the ramp or dock all the time.

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
These engines are bullet proof. Its just a fluke. Once they fix it, you'll be ok. The issues on these boats in the past have been manufacturing defects, or service work issues.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would think you would have noticed the crunching and carnage of a dropped valve.

TimBroom

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
No doubt there were sounds that weren't normal when trying to turn over the motor that I didn't mention... I just never thought it would have been this.

Rick215HO

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
If that is the case that you had an actual valve train failure I would place that one under "really bad luck" - I have over 400 hours now of Scarab Rotax engine boat ownership and the one thing I can say I don't have to worry about are those engines (knock on wood ). The boat may fall apart , but those engines will keep running until the end... Let us know what they find if they open the motor...

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wow. Very surprising. Do you trust your dealer to give you honest information? Are they swapping the engine or fixing/rebuilding?

--

TimBroom

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I believe my dealer has always treated me fair, actually better than fair in all of my dealings with them, including the first service. They have been responsive and forthcoming as they discover information, and at last contact at the end of last week let me know they were submitting a warranty claim to replace with a new engine. I hope to hear something back by tomorrow or Wednesday with a plan and timeline. But this sounds like a rare occasion that this would happen, I do not know if they would quickly replace or choose to investigate and delay... I am hoping to have the boat back and running in a couple weeks at the longest... I feel that we are getting toward the end of summer and want to be on the water soon...
-Tim

JetTech72

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Dropped a valve? That's definitely not common failure for those engine. Are you sure he didn'tt mean breaking a rocker arm?
Dropping a valve would most probably be catastrophic.
Is your dealer a Powersport dealer meaning do they carry other BRP products?

TimBroom

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yes, my dealer is Sky Powersports in Port Richey, FL.
They messaged me Friday that the warranty request was approved and BRP is shipping a new engine.
no timetable yet, hoping to get that this week.

Anthony909

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I feel for you. It does feel like the summer is on the back end. I have a solution for you though that would get you back on the water by next week. Trade that sweet 255 Open with me for my 195. Don’t get me wrong, I love my 195 but I’m willing to sacrifice it for you to get more water time. :angelic:;)

TimBroom

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Great news, my dealer called today and the new engine is not already delivered it is installed, all within a week. They did a water test today and delivering it tomorrow!
Thanks to SkyPowerSports in Port Richey FL... First Class Service!
-Tim

(I will update this weekend on performance and quality)

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wow. That's got be the fastest turn around on an engine swap by a dealer on any boat on any brand since man started floating on water.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That is some quick turn around. I can't get an oil change in a week, much less an engine swap.

Wonder if Scarab Corporate had something to do with pushing the schedule considering the profile of the new model?!?!

Elio195HOI

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Other
:eek: Great News! I couldn't get a switched replaced that fast a few years ago..... Good Luck!

TimBroom

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Josh in service at Sky Powersports said that Scarab and Bombardier jumped on it as a priority and drop shipped the new motor to them quickly.
I really was not demanding or upset, since it seemed from this group that it was a fluke and so rarely happens, sometimes it just happens, so I wasn't being a pest to get them to respond faster or anything like that. The dealer and mfg just did the right thing, because it was the right thing to do and I am very grateful and an even bigger fan of them all! I will shout their praise and hope that you will too...
Although, I did see the new 300hp motors now are available on the 255's, and I did ask for a quote for trade in/upgrade... :) we'll see what it looks like...
-Tim

TimBroom

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Got the call for the upgrade to twin 300hp, exact specs as the current boat that I got a few months ago, trade difference... $37k

My boat is doing just fine...I'll stick with it :)

-Tim