• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

4" Drop too much on ball hitch?

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
My situation is: Boat is kept on the trailer on the side of my house - unfortunately the ground can be slightly uneven there. Even when chalking the tires, I'll still get some movement coming as the boat coupler comes above the ball when unhitching. Last year with my small boat I had a couple of scares where I had to physically push the boat (18' Bayliner single axle) back so the coupler didn't scratch the painted bumper. I know with the new boat I won't be able to manually move it as easily!

With the new 212S coming this spring, I decided to order a nice aluminum ball mount and bought one with a 4" drop to add some "protection" in the aforementioned situation (boat moves forward a little it bounces off the ball mount instead of my truck).

However, now I'm re-thinking this and am questioning if the drop is too low. My tow rig, '19 Ram 1500 has air suspension so it'll auto level the truck, but not sure if I'm putting my trailer balance point at risk with that much of a drop. Unfortunately the boat is snowed in at the dealership until Wisconsin warms up.

Thanks in advance!

Dough

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
That would work for a jeep grand cherokee. Should be pretty close.
Also, try pulling forward after getting boat in place. Maybe 3-4 inches will normally keep boat trailer off bumper.

ZippyBoater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My situation is: Boat is kept on the trailer on the side of my house - unfortunately the ground can be slightly uneven there. Even when chalking the tires, I'll still get some movement coming as the boat coupler comes above the ball when unhitching. Last year with my small boat I had a couple of scares where I had to physically push the boat (18' Bayliner single axle) back so the coupler didn't scratch the painted bumper. I know with the new boat I won't be able to manually move it as easily!

With the new 212S coming this spring, I decided to order a nice aluminum ball mount and bought one with a 4" drop to add some "protection" in the aforementioned situation (boat moves forward a little it bounces off the ball mount instead of my truck).

However, now I'm re-thinking this and am questioning if the drop is too low. My tow rig, '19 Ram 1500 has air suspension so it'll auto level the truck, but not sure if I'm putting my trailer balance point at risk with that much of a drop. Unfortunately the boat is snowed in at the dealership until Wisconsin warms up.

Thanks in advance!
You need to make sure that the trailer is balanced or you could exceed the tongue weight of the truck/hitch. Normally a level trailer is a balanced trailer. You need to get the right drop so you have a level trailer. The double axle on the 21 footer trailer should prevent some of your problems you had with the single axle trailer.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
That would work for a jeep grand cherokee. Should be pretty close.
Also, try pulling forward after getting boat in place. Maybe 3-4 inches will normally keep boat trailer off bumper.
Yeah that is a thing I try to remember to do - but sometimes in the haste of getting home I forget.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Another question for anyone reading - what's your current ball mount drop on a factory half ton truck towing a 21' Yamaha?

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a '17 GMC 2500 and I only use a 2" drop pulling my AR230 IMO 4" is too much of a drop for a 1500

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I have a '17 GMC 2500 and I only use a 2" drop pulling my AR230 IMO 4" is too much of a drop for a 1500
Thanks, that's what I was afraid of. At least eTrailer has a good exchange policy.

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm guessing also it'll be a little plenty low, but you might check it out before assuming it's too low. Chevy and GMC tend to sit a little lower than Dodge and Ford, so there might be some grace there, despite going from 3/4 to 1/2 ton. If you're able to get a level trailer tongue height from someone here who also has your exact setup, you could just simply do some math by measuring your hitch height, and making some calculations.

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@ZippyBoater with the numbers you need! Use that to make your calculations, but I am pretty sure that's going to confirm the bad news for ya...

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Nice, thank you @ZippyBoater ! Yeah - and I was thinking how much could 2" really make a difference? That's basically like well poured double bourbon.

Compatico

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Nice, thank you @ZippyBoater ! Yeah - and I was thinking how much could 2" really make a difference? That's basically like well poured double bourbon.
It's more critical with a tandem trailer - you want to keep the trailer level with the road surface to maintain equalization of weight on the axle shackles. A single axle doesn't have to be as precise, but a tandem can have weight issues. If only your front axle has brakes, and you underload it, you could experience lockups and bald patches. Overload it and you wear the outside of the tires faster than the rear as they're carrying more weight.

To avoid hitting my bumper, I use chocks on the trailer tires, and before I unlock the tongue, I put the truck in drive and ease off the brakes a bit to gently pull against the chocks. Never had an issue. But you have to remember to do it that way every time.
:winkingthumbsup"

Rumbo

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think it will be too low. I have a ¾ ton 4x4 lifted 6.5” and tow my AR240 with a 4” drop ball mount. The 24 footers trailers sit high, I’m assuming the 21’s are similar.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

AboveTheBest

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Let me know if you need help with the bourbon

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
As easy as it is to pick up a tongue at the local truck accessory stores, or even Walmart, wait till the snow is gone and you have the boat. Go do the measurements and trial runs with a borrowed tongue. It's that simple, as everyone's trucks are different, and your mileage may vary, especially with adjustable air suspension.

On the chalking note, run to Harbor Freight, and buy yourself 4 of the rubber chalks for roughly $5 each. Chalk all four tires, then get in your truck and let it roll forward putting weight on the chalks rather than the ball. This will allow you to un hitch and keep the trailer in place without fear of rolling into your truck. It's the habit I have gotten into.

Good luck,

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I measured my hitch last night - 20" to the top of the receiver with the truck set on "normal" air suspension. @ZippyBoater said that the top of his ball sits at 18". If I'm mathing correctly, 20" - 4" on the drop + 2" back to the top of the ball puts me at 18"? Opinions?

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
As easy as it is to pick up a tongue at the local truck accessory stores, or even Walmart, wait till the snow is gone and you have the boat. Go do the measurements and trial runs with a borrowed tongue. It's that simple, as everyone's trucks are different, and your mileage may vary, especially with adjustable air suspension.

On the chalking note, run to Harbor Freight, and buy yourself 4 of the rubber chalks for roughly $5 each. Chalk all four tires, then get in your truck and let it roll forward putting weight on the chalks rather than the ball. This will allow you to un hitch and keep the trailer in place without fear of rolling into your truck. It's the habit I have gotten into.

Good luck,
That's one of my problems, damn boat is still snowed in at the dealership. If anyone has a 21' tandem in their garage and could measure to the bottom of the coupler with a level boat, I would appreciate it!

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Your math is fairly safe. The drop is calculated from the top, just as you measured, and the average 2” hitch ball is 2-3/4” tall. I sell trailers and trailer parts, so I went out to my shelves, and measured a few random hitch balls for fun. At the math given, you’re at 20”-4”=16”. 16”+2-3/4”=18-3/4” to top of ball on truck. I’m really surprised these numbers are (apparently) working out for u. If 18” is the correct goal, the next question is how much squat the truck’s suspension will allow, if any. I really didn’t expect this to be feasible, but there is still hope...

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Your math is fairly safe. The drop is calculated from the top, just as you measured, and the average 2” hitch ball is 2-3/4” tall. I sell trailers and trailer parts, so I went out to my shelves, and measured a few random hitch balls for fun. At the math given, you’re at 20”-4”=16”. 16”+2-3/4”=18-3/4” to top of ball on truck. I’m really surprised these numbers are (apparently) working out for u. If 18” is the correct goal, the next question is how much squat the truck’s suspension will allow, if any. I really didn’t expect this to be feasible, but there is still hope...
Thanks - you may have just saved me return shipping! And squat is something I don't have to worry about as the air suspension auto levels itself. :)