• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

4 tec steering info

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Here is some info for people who are interested in improving their steering on the 4tec pumps and nozzles used by Sea Doo, Scarab, Glastron, and Chapaaral jet boats.
This was just sent to me and in light of some of the discussions lately about the aftermarket steering available for these boats I think it may clarify things on why I build my steering the way I do and how it works.
. Here is a recent comment on my 4 tec steering from my facebook page.

October 22 at 9:59am ·
In 2011, I bought a 2006 Seadoo Islandia (twin 4-Tec jets) and upon my first launching for the season I was thinking what the heck did I buy - I can’t control this boat around the dock area. (I had lots of experience with outboards & I/O). I had a challenge docking this boat for the next 4 years and then I started to do some research on potential help. I noticed that some of the new designed boats had fins (Yamaha) and then I came across this product. Over the winter before the 2016 season I purchased these and installed them prior to launching for the season. I will say that there was a noticeable improvement in low speed steering and control. I waited until now to write a review because I wanted to make sure the hardware would last and that I would realize the improved control in various water and wind conditions. After taking my boat out for the season I checked the fins and they are as secure as the day I installed them and I can confidently say that they definitely made a difference in low speed steering and control - also during normal cruising and water skiing steering too - throughout the season. I highly recommend them and the benefit is certainly worth the ~$200 price for this product.

Regards, Bob Matchett NJ

Unfortunately I am experiencing some difficulties with my posts on this " I somehow corrupted the file when I tried to edit some info and then the second one just vanished so I guess I should start over. I am actually doing this on another media and copying it to here so if it gets lost again I have it saved.

Recently there has been some valid discussions about steering for the 4 tec A K A ROTAX application.

One recent conversation for reference https://jetboaters.net/threads/2-questions-1-thrust-vectors-2-removing-pump.10772/

Being in the business of designing and producing steering assistance modifications for all sorts of applications over the past 15 years.

Obviously I have a system for your 4 tec applications , one that works on both single and twin engine boats of a variety of manufacturers. I call it my 4tec system.

Unlike Yamaha jet boats or conventional boats the 4 tec pump , nozzle and reverse do things a bit differently. The reverse bucket or hood is fixed, it does not turn in conjunction with the nozzle.

The pump nozzle turns inside this hood and the water exiting the end of the nozzle is redirected via the reverse hood to produce directional forces to one side of the boat or the other. The odd thing is this process requires the nozzle to turn in the opposite direction it would turn on a conventional boat. Therefore the nozzle is turned in the wrong way and the steering wheel also needs to be turned in the opposite way as a conventional boat or a Yamaha jet boat.

So now adding exposed steering fins to the nozzle is actually ok for forward but not fore reverse, in that situation the fins are canceling out some of the reverse control, the more the fins are exposed to the water the more they cancel out the reverse steering.

So what do you do? Well I chose to place my fins in the area between the reverse hood and the nozzle so when the reverse hood is down during reverse operation a good portion of my fins are actually covered by the reverse hood itself shielding them thus neutralizing the counter steering effect on the boat.

I also understand that the boats using the 4 tec systems really do not need the level of steering assistance that say a Yamaha jet boat requires, so while Yamaha customers were asking for LARGER fins over the years I found that the Sea Doo boats and the 4 tec systems really did not need that level of assistance ,so over the years I actually made the 4tec steering a bit smaller with great results.

This system not only provides assistance in the slow speed , no wake and idle modes it also provides just the correct amount of assistance at higher speeds for water sports and high speed maneuvering .

A big plus beside the low cost is that once you have it installed your boat becomes very predictable and responsive with none of the undesirable side effects including those described in the other post.

So we use small number 10 screws to attach the fins to the nozzle we chose that system about 15 years ago and we have not had a single issue with this method, it is quite reliable and easy.
It is also easily reversible however I honestly don't recall anyone wanting to remove the steering.

I will even put them on your nozzle for you at no extra labor charge if you like just as I did in that video, just send me the nozzles and I will install the fins and return the setup nozzles ready to be reinstalled on the boat, your only extra cost is the shipping.
There are several people on this web page that use this system so ask around.

NOW I am doing a special SALE for this system, keep in mind that a set works on either a single engine or a twin engine boat. Also domestic shipping is free, the regular price for this stainless steel system is only $202.70 However the sale price" sorry this expired " shipped free in the U S A. Sale will end with 12 hour notice .
So maybe you have a system that you are not completely happy with or you want the extra top end control, whatever the reason TRY IT !

Last edited:

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Hmmm I went to edit some information and somehow this happened I have no idea how to fix it sorry. Hopefully someone can fix it that is just really weird.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hmmm I went to edit some information and somehow this happened I have no idea how to fix it sorry. Hopefully someone can fix it that is just really weird.
Try again......click edit on your post above and paste the links in again

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Something is really weird here I just rewrote the entire post in edit after reposting the customers post and it disappeared while I was doing it it just vanished.

Briwhy

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
I haven't got to try these yet cause old man winter is coming but the install went smooth and easy. IMG_20161105_143034284_HDR.jpg

Attachments

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other