• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

8 Months Of Life With A 2021 Yamaha SX 195

JESFromASC

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just pulled our 2021 Yamaha SX 195 out of the water after our first spring and summer. So I now have about eight months of experience with it.

I thought I had done my homework and did all I could to research the boat before buying it. I went as far as a Google search, “10 things I hate about my Yamaha SX 195” and all I found were positive, yet somewhat limited, reports.

So with that said, once we are out on open water (Lake Hartwell in SC/GA) or when we are anchored in a nice cove swimming off the back I love this boat.

She is fast, stable and smooth on open water and handles great at speed. The 19.5 size is great for a lake this size handling all but the worst waves with relative ease.

At any time between open water and anchored it’s not what I would call a loving relationship and I have not found its design to be user friendly or intuitive.

Thoughts on ownership in no particular order:

First thing I did was I add the “thrust vector” kit which helped, but certainly doesn’t make you feel comfortable in tight areas. How these boats are allowed to be sold as they are is beyond me. I find the complete lack of steering response at low speed frightening as can be. [Admittedly I grew up with smaller outboards.]

I ended up fabricating a mount and installing a trolling motor on it so I could navigate out of our very tight slip, shallow access and (safely) get through the no-wake zone at the marina. The trolling motor (when raised) basically takes up the bow area of the boat. Complete motor package was over $1000 and I have to haul a battery to the boat every time we take it out.

I’m 5’ 11” and the factory seat height could not have been worse. I found sitting on the bolster extremely uncomfortable and when it was lowered it cuts into the back of your legs. I ended up figuring out how to pull off the flip up seat bolster/riser and switched to a 12” pedestal so I’m not staring directly at the windshield cowling.

Fuel usage is IMO high. A mid-throttle single 25 mile run up and down the lake 12.5/12.5 and say goodbye to 10 gallons and $50.

I’d gladly trade the bow cushion fillers and the ridiculous table and table mount for some better compartment storage and a true dry locker of some kind.

Not sure why it came with a cooler but no place designed for it?

It’s almost like the designers of the boat never actually spent a day out on the water with it?

I’ve added several loop straps and S-biners to hold seat cushions and vests on the deck. I use the bungee under the instrument cluster as a clothes line for small dry bags with things we want at hand but dry.

Anyway - would I buy another SX 195?
No
Am I happy with it?
Yeah
Do I love it?
No

I’m sure if it was parked behind my house in FL on a nice, quiet, wide lagoon I’d be in love. Keeping it at a marina is good but not great. How anyone could load and unload this thing at a busy ramp on a regular basis is beyond me.

Just my opinion.
Your results may vary.
John

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
JESFromASC

You should have put the super ultimate AK-19 deluxe steering on your boat, here is food for thought, at the dock they both steer the boat but after about 4 m p h only the Cobra steering systems continue to improve the handling of the boat in wind, waves and strong currents at ALL SPEEDS plus they get you on plane faster with a cleaner wake and a better ride in chop.
Also they are adjustable so you choose the level of influence that suits your personal needs, and you can change that level if your needs change.
They do not increase the draft of the boat nor do they make it hard to steer at speed.
The will let you turn on a dime and continue steering even if you rapidly decelerate in a turn.
They also have the fin recess to allow the 2019 and newer nozzles from Yamaha to produce side thrust in reverse without interfering with it.
And I have a sale going on currently so you can try them and compare them for yourself and return them if you are not satisfied with the results,
And as you probably know I use aircraft aluminum not plastic parts, no need for kickstands to keep them from hitting the ground on the trailer or in shallow water, no ugly cutouts or sharp water skies or points on the ends and no round bars between the fins
Just a simple installation and you have all the steering at all speeds it is like driving a sports car on a dry road.

Attachments

JESFromASC

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I had no idea that other steering systems existed. I'll certainly check you out. Reverse? LOL I don't even bother... Seriously, if it wasn't for the trolling motor (lucky for me my neighbor is a Minkota dealer) I would have sold the boat the week I got it. Thanks!

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I have had 3 boats, an I/O, and a pontoon. And I find my AR195 to be the best at maneuvering among the 3. At first it was very intimidating, after a few seasons I love it. I do have @Cobra Jet Steering LLC system installed he mentioned above. I never even drove the boat without it except for the test drive though. Its all about bumping the throttle and you can put this thing anywhere easily. Whether that be a slip or trailer, but everybody have their own experiences and opinions.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I had no idea that other steering systems existed. I'll certainly check you out. Reverse? LOL I don't even bother... Seriously, if it wasn't for the trolling motor (lucky for me my neighbor is a Minkota dealer) I would have sold the boat the week I got it. Thanks!
Wow I heard that type of comment about getting rid of the boat back years ago when I first started making steering for Yamaha jet boats.
I started doing this because I purchased a jet boat when I was 49 years old and I had boats since I was 14 but I never drove a jet. I drove it one time for a minute and hated it, parked it on the trailer and said I really messed up buying this piece of junk and wanted to sell it, but the mechanic and inventor in me said why not make it steer and I did with the intention of making it do what I wanted And it did it made me smile when I drove it thus the saying making jet boats steer and drivers smile!
I went from hating the boat to loving it. The rest is history, 20 years of experience, 5 us patents and over 100 patented claims.

Attachments

JESFromASC

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Dropped you an email so I can take advantage of the sale.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Yes I replied to it I need the state it is being shipped to

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I have had 3 boats, an I/O, and a pontoon. And I find my AR195 to be the best at maneuvering among the 3. At first it was very intimidating, after a few seasons I love it. I do have @Cobra Jet Steering LLC system installed he mentioned above. I never even drove the boat without it except for the test drive though. Its all about bumping the throttle and you can put this thing anywhere easily. Whether that be a slip or trailer, but everybody have their own experiences and opinions.
you have the 2018 model and that has the really bad reverse design in 2019 they made what I believe to be a huge improvement with the reverse thrust being split and angled but if you add steering it must allow for the water to exit at an angle and not interfere with that side thrust or the angled reverse thrust will get nullified I learned this a while back and made modifications to all my fins that are used on that style of nozzle.

Attachments

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Your steering will improve greatly with Jeff's system. Give yourself time to learn how to control the boat around the dock. It will never be like a small outboard (because its not one) but you'll get the hang of it.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sounds like the dealer did a terrible job of setting your expectations. I'm sorry to hear your experience was less than stellar. I have a 180deg polar opposite experience with mine.

My 190 is the most maneuverable boat I have ever driven. I've parked in places my sterndrive and pontoon buddies wouldn't even consider, and I get constant "HTF did you do that" comments from people at the dock and raft ups when I pull up, slide over, and place the boat exactly where I want it without a huge ordeal. It's not a car. Can't just put it in reverse and then steer the front end of it. No thrust = no control. No throttle = No thrust. You can change the direction of the thrust fore/aft VERY easily, and you can also move the thrust port/starboard very easily. You can shift as often as you like without reducing throttle as well. There is no transmission so Forward and Reverse are directions to move, not selections to make. Once you get your head wrapped around how the boat works, you'll have a much better experience with it. It's not a car, it's not a sterndrive, it's not an outboard. It's a jet drive, and it behaves differently.

Next time you're out, I want you to try something for me. You complain about the complete lack of control at low speed when going forward. I want you to put it in No Wake Mode on the 2nd setting. Then slow down considerably while just using light bumps between fwd and neutral. Then when you get a shade of momentum forward, use some reverse and "steer" the back of the boat instead of the front. "pull" the rear of the boat from side to side. All without reducing the engine RPM at all. You want to keep those RPM's (and the thrust) up during all this. I think you'll find that once you realize you don't really control the front of the boat, but you can instead "slide" the rear of the boat around, you'll have much better control over both the direction and speed of the boat. It's a completely different technique than anything you've driven before, but it works.

Go look at this thread, and watch his video. He describes the process great, and how the controls work in excellent detail. You need some familiarity with how to operate the machine more than you need additional things attached to the back of your boat.

*EDIT*
Realized I forgot the link to the video. My apologies @JESFromASC

**</Edit>**

I do agree that the seat is a terrible height, the bolster is uncomfortable, and I hated how my storage compartments got wet when it was new (cap your cupholders to keep the water out BTW).

The storage on this 19ft bowrider is about 3x what it was on my last one ('98 Rinker 182), I feel like I'm always taking everything AND the kitchen sink with me, and we still have room for guest supplies. I think the newer style you have did lose some volume of storage compared to my '17. Not 100% certain though.

The cooler thing is interesting. I think Yamaha intends it to sit on the deck behind the driver and be strapped to the wall there. Poor design there, my '17 has the wraparound seating there which I think is a better design overall IMO. Wish I had that table though.

Last edited:

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Perhaps you would be happier with a Scarab 195? I think maybe it addresses several of your concerns with the Yamaha:
1) low speed maneuverability appears to be better, with a better bucket design, these appear to spin on a dime
2) seating appears to be more plush
3) wrap around seating. I personally like the 190/195 seating change with the open area behind the captain, but agree there is a loss of storage.

Personally, I like the layout of the Scarab better than the Yamaha. There are several pluses for the Yamaha, however, in that it is easier to buy (resell when the time comes) less engine maintenance, more friendly bow area, and has a self-bailing cockpit.

I'm actually hoping to buy a Yamaha 190/195 in a few months. Although, quite honestly, if I were to find a killer deal on a dual console Robalo r207 I might be persuaded to skip the jet boat dream.

Jim

mwalker4

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Dropped you an email so I can take advantage of the sale.
If you have installed the Thrust Vectors. I would not expect the low speed improvement with the Cobra Jets to be significant. I have Cobra Jet Ultimates and they do help at low speed and I like the help they provide at high speed. But anything I've read or seen states Cobra and TVs are similar at slow speed. Bottom line, you have to change how you think about slow speed steering. It took my wife quite a while to get rid of 25 years of stern drive steering.

I agree with a lot of the other things you said. Jet drives have their distinct advantages and disadvantages. For me it comes down to the simplicity of the Jet drive and it's maintenance along with the stern seating. I didn't get a outboard because poor stern seating and didn't get an I/O because long term cost of ownership. But the Jet is noisy, takes more gas. and steers differently. Take your pick.

JESFromASC

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
HUGE THANKS FOLKS!
Thanks for taking the time for the thoughtful feedback and in May 2022 I'll certainly be giving all those tips a try.
I have the Cobra Jet system on its way.
Like I wrote, I do love this boat (sometimes).
;-)

JESFromASC

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The storage on this 19ft bowrider is about 3x what it was on my last one ('98 Rinker 182), I feel like I'm always taking everything AND the kitchen sink with me, and we still have room for guest supplies. I think the newer style you have did lose some volume of storage compared to my '17. Not 100% certain though.
Oh, I can't knock the storage room! Yeah, you could go camping for a week with it. I'd just love some compartmentalized dry storage. Places to leave some things on the boat without the danger of them getting wet/moldy/ruined... But the dry bags, S-biners and bungee line actually works pretty good. Spare hats, windbreakers, Bimini top cover, I forget what else I have there. And the trash can works well for holding boat wash, windshield cleaner and a few rags.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I have a 19ft FSH with no steering enhancements (but have had a 21 and have a 25' with the Cobras). At the end of the day it's just practice and understanding how the boat works. Jeff's systems work great. I can also put the 195 anywhere I want it, though it will get the Cobras soon.

HawaiiBreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just my two cents about storage on board the Newer 190/195 boats vs. the Older 190/195 boats. In 3 words "older boats rule". The storage is HUGE and easily accessible on the older boats without the hinged cushions and narrow openings. I (6' 200lbs) can get in my port and starboard stern lockers (see the video). The hinged seats on the New Boats are so cool looking and so convenient I was at first at little envious until I saw how much I would not be able to store in them.

I come from owning a lot of Yamaha vehicles (PWC, MX) and Yamaha is always making incremental changes to their products (articulating keel, step through access, throttle position) based on feedback and I would expect they've heard about the locker storage issue. I saw that in 2022 they re-positioned the throttle back to the 2018 and earlier positions and got it off the wall and back to where you can rest your whole hand on it. Way to go Yamaha. Love my Yamaha.

Johnboat

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Just pulled our 2021 Yamaha SX 195 out of the water after our first spring and summer. So I now have about eight months of experience with it.

I thought I had done my homework and did all I could to research the boat before buying it. I went as far as a Google search, “10 things I hate about my Yamaha SX 195” and all I found were positive, yet somewhat limited, reports.

So with that said, once we are out on open water (Lake Hartwell in SC/GA) or when we are anchored in a nice cove swimming off the back I love this boat.

She is fast, stable and smooth on open water and handles great at speed. The 19.5 size is great for a lake this size handling all but the worst waves with relative ease.

At any time between open water and anchored it’s not what I would call a loving relationship and I have not found its design to be user friendly or intuitive.

Thoughts on ownership in no particular order:

First thing I did was I add the “thrust vector” kit which helped, but certainly doesn’t make you feel comfortable in tight areas. How these boats are allowed to be sold as they are is beyond me. I find the complete lack of steering response at low speed frightening as can be. [Admittedly I grew up with smaller outboards.]

I ended up fabricating a mount and installing a trolling motor on it so I could navigate out of our very tight slip, shallow access and (safely) get through the no-wake zone at the marina. The trolling motor (when raised) basically takes up the bow area of the boat. Complete motor package was over $1000 and I have to haul a battery to the boat every time we take it out.

I’m 5’ 11” and the factory seat height could not have been worse. I found sitting on the bolster extremely uncomfortable and when it was lowered it cuts into the back of your legs. I ended up figuring out how to pull off the flip up seat bolster/riser and switched to a 12” pedestal so I’m not staring directly at the windshield cowling.

Fuel usage is IMO high. A mid-throttle single 25 mile run up and down the lake 12.5/12.5 and say goodbye to 10 gallons and $50.

I’d gladly trade the bow cushion fillers and the ridiculous table and table mount for some better compartment storage and a true dry locker of some kind.

Not sure why it came with a cooler but no place designed for it?

It’s almost like the designers of the boat never actually spent a day out on the water with it?

I’ve added several loop straps and S-biners to hold seat cushions and vests on the deck. I use the bungee under the instrument cluster as a clothes line for small dry bags with things we want at hand but dry.

Anyway - would I buy another SX 195?
No
Am I happy with it?
Yeah
Do I love it?
No

I’m sure if it was parked behind my house in FL on a nice, quiet, wide lagoon I’d be in love. Keeping it at a marina is good but not great. How anyone could load and unload this thing at a busy ramp on a regular basis is beyond me.

Just my opinion.
Your results may vary.
John
I would like to see a picture of your fabricated trolling motor set up. I am wanting to add one to my SX195 for fishing.
Im also at 8 months with my SX195. I too had a hard time getting used to steering this boat at low speeds. At first I thought I screwed up buying this boat. The trick is to use the throttle and RPM's. I practiced by pulling up to a buoy and parking next to it. I spent a couple of hours just playing around and parking the boat in different ways around that buoy. Made a huge difference in my abilities around the dock. Now I have no fear at a busy boat ramp or at a tight dock.

JESFromASC

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Give me a few days. The factory cover is on and it's kind of a complicated process to get it back off to get the picture. But I'll get a few for you. If I forget bug me about it. The pictures will help! John

JESFromASC

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The plastic can be cut and shaped with woodworking tools.
[Jigsaw, table saw, palm sander, bench sander, drill press, countersink, etc.]
The forstner bit is a must have so you can have the top of the bolts perfectly flush with the top of the mount.

This is a crazy - measure twice, stop, think, measure again, stop, think, then drill or cut.
Small pilot holes first - then the forstner bit.
Keep thinking about what is up and what is down and how the actual motor mount is attached.

If I did it again or do it again I'd probably set it at an angle so you have room at least on one side of it when it is in the raised position.

I used some wooden dowel same diameter as the plastic for fit and angles so not to waste the good stuff.

You may notice I added some marine epoxy to add some strength.

I tracked down some oversize/fender washers for underneath.
I had to grind them down just a little for a snug fit in the holes on top.

If I was out after dark somewhere busy I'd snag a battery operated nav light to stick on top but not really a problem for us.

My neighbor is the SC Minkota dealer/repair shop so he helped me out a little along the way. He fixed us up with a loaner to get us through this year and now I have a brand new one still in the box for 2022.

For those of you thinking about using it for what I am (not fishing but steering control) the remote control is pretty awesome and the GPS anchor is pretty handy when just "hanging out" but not swimming/in the water.

Anyway - hope that helps some folks out.
I'll be around if you have any questions.
John