• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

8inch Skar Tower Speakers

KCAR250

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
In case anyone is curious I found some tower speaker enclosures that fit Skar 8” speakers really well. I also bought 4 6.5” and another pair of Skar 8” along with a Wet Sounds 12” sub. Powering them by a 4ch 150x4 and a 5ch 80x4 350x1 NVX Amps, 12 gauge OFC speaker wire, 4 gauge OFC power/ground wire and a 5ch LOC (going in an AR250 so needed the LOC since there’s no RCAs).
My last boat had all JL audio so I’ll compare, post back and see if saving $4,000 was worth it or not.

Attachments

Last edited:

Wrecked Rooster

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Definitely curious how this comes out, as my original plan was to go with Skar speakers and NVX amps. Switched to Kicker speakers along with a Kicker amp though. Still working on the install in what little spare time I have.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
In case anyone is curious I found some tower speaker enclosures that fit Skar 8” speakers really well. I also bought 4 6.5” and another pair of Skar 8”
Check those speakers - many Skar speakers are cheap paper cone drivers - junk for marine environment.
My last boat had all JL audio so I’ll compare, post back and see if saving $4,000 was worth it or not.
If you had JL, you're not going to like the Skar unless you're tone deaf. There's a reason they're so inexpensive.
:)

KCAR250

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Check those speakers - many Skar speakers are cheap paper cone drivers - junk for marine environment.

If you had JL, you're not going to like the Skar unless you're tone deaf. There's a reason they're so inexpensive.
I’ll let you know how they sound once I get them installed. My last boat I put in M series 6.5s with a 10” sub. I’ve heard the paper thing I’ve also heard people comparing the sound to JL so we’ll see I guess. If nothing else I’ll replace them in a few years. JL just keeps raising their prices. The same setup would cost $6,000 if I went JL. That’s almost the price of a SeaDoo Spark.

Wrecked Rooster

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’ll let you know how they sound once I get them installed. My last boat I put in M series 6.5s with a 10” sub. I’ve heard the paper thing I’ve also heard people comparing the sound to JL so we’ll see I guess. If nothing else I’ll replace them in a few years. JL just keeps raising their prices. The same setup would cost $6,000 if I went JL. That’s almost the price of a SeaDoo Spark.
One thing to be careful of (I learned the hard way) is the Skar 6.5" speakers are not a standard size 6.5. They are larger and require a larger cutout. I was somewhat forced to jump to 8" speakers in the stock locations to cover up the large hole left by Skar's. Was originally going to go with 6.5 Kickers but they were quite a bit smaller then the hole I cut for the Skar 6.5's. Overall, I think I'll be happier with the 8's anyhow.

KCAR250

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
One thing to be careful of (I learned the hard way) is the Skar 6.5" speakers are not a standard size 6.5. They are larger and require a larger cutout. I was somewhat forced to jump to 8" speakers in the stock locations to cover up the large hole left by Skar's. Was originally going to go with 6.5 Kickers but they were quite a bit smaller then the hole I cut for the Skar 6.5's. Overall, I think I'll be happier with the 8's anyhow.
I knew that from doing some research which I’m fine opening them up. Overall how do you like Skar speakers?

KCAR250

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I knew that from doing some research which I’m fine opening them up. Overall how do you like Skar speakers?
Never mind, I see you went with kicker.

Wrecked Rooster

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I ended up selling them. I had 4 of them hooked up to a 75w/channel 4-channel amp and they sounded fine. I'm not a big audio guy. But feel like I'm turning into one now...

My2ten

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Did you get these installed? Curious to know how they sound.
In case anyone is curious I found some tower speaker enclosures that fit Skar 8” speakers really well. I also bought 4 6.5” and another pair of Skar 8” along with a Wet Sounds 12” sub. Powering them by a 4ch 150x4 and a 5ch 80x4 350x1 NVX Amps, 12 gauge OFC speaker wire, 4 gauge OFC power/ground wire and a 5ch LOC (going in an AR250 so needed the LOC since there’s no RCAs).

KCAR250

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Did you get these installed? Curious to know how they sound.
I actually never hooked them up. I found a deal on Wet Sounds speakers and returned the Skar speakers. I bought Revo 6 for $289 and revo 8s for $379 per pair along with a revo 12 for $350. That being said Skar was great to work with and the speakers seemed like quality.

jwilliams417

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length

This man speaks the truth. My friend came over after installing his "1000w" Skar amp and skar 6.5's and towers to listen to my lowly Kicker 8" towers and Kicker 600w 6 channel amp powering the factory Polks/Kickers in my 212s....his first reaction was "WTF! You have less power and mostly factory speakers, it sounds way better than my full Skar system." I can get mine twice as loud and clean than his, we sat them side by side. Give those Skars some volume and then get very thin and tinny sounding if that makes sense. Buy once, cry once.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I actually never hooked them up. I found a deal on Wet Sounds speakers and returned the Skar speakers. I bought Revo 6 for $289 and revo 8s for $379 per pair along with a revo 12 for $350. That being said Skar was great to work with and the speakers seemed like quality.
Goodness, what a deal! Where did you find that!?

KCAR250

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Goodness, what a deal! Where did you find that!?
I went to creative audio and bought the revo 8s and 6s refurbished however they have since raised their prices to $479 for 8s. That being said the website I bought my revo 12 at has them listed new for $450 for 8s and $350 for the revo 6s, see link.

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
This man speaks the truth. My friend came over after installing his "1000w" Skar amp and skar 6.5's and towers to listen to my lowly Kicker 8" towers and Kicker 600w 6 channel amp powering the factory Polks/Kickers in my 212s....his first reaction was "WTF! You have less power and mostly factory speakers, it sounds way better than my full Skar system." I can get mine twice as loud and clean than his, we sat them side by side. Give those Skars some volume and then get very thin and tinny sounding if that makes sense. Buy once, cry once.
Do you have a sub? Thinking of doing something similar, any thoughts or recommendations.

Last edited:

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Do you have a sub? Thinking of doing something similar, any thoughts or recommendations.
For good bass response a JL M3 or WS 10" IB sub is what I'd recommend at about $350. If you want to keep costs down, a 10" Kicker IB sub is $200 and will give you decent bass. Hole saws are available on Amazon to cut the opening for a sub if you want to go that route. Note that if you change your mind and want to upgrade to a 10" JL sub, the cutout hole will be too large. For instance, a JL 10" sub uses an 8.85" cutout while the 10" Kicker uses a 9.1" cutout, and the WS uses a 9.2" cutout. So choose carefully.

One of their TB tube subs will give more impact if big bass output is what you want, and no need to cut a big hole to mount it. But ideally you need to install it somewhere in the open, like under/behind one of the bucket seats. Putting it under the bench seats out of the way will muffle and cut bass impact a fair bit.
Lots of options to look at.

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Do you have a picture of your tower speakers, trying to decide between the Kicker 8”s or the Kicker 9”. Can you hear the 8’s surfing?