• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

99 Waverunner Gp1200?

Jrock8

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
NA
Hi all! I put a deposit down on a new EX Deluxe, but a 1999 GP1200 just came up for sale locally. The guy says the engine was completely rebuilt last month so he could sell it for more, and he has all the paperwork to show all of the work (which was done from a dealer I trust) that cost him $2750. It has a primer. He said hours before the rebuild were 80 (which seems odd; I told
him this and he just laughed and agreed it was super low).

Book value with trailer is about $3k, but he is firm at $4800. I have never owned a PWC or boat, so I’m not quite sure how to feel
About this.

My question then is twofold; first, your thoughts on the 99 1200? I’ve read some positive things and the biggest problem being starting issues, which are fixed with a primer. Especially your thoughts on ponying up more to get a new PWC (but knowing it’s slower with less storage).

The second is the price. Does this seem justified to pay 1800 over book for a complete rebuild?

Thank y’all in advance!

1WetBoat

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
A 99 GP1200 is a 2stroke engine. Totally different beast than the TR1 in the EX. Not knocking on the 2 strokes, i used to have one. Fun wise its probably the same but again, just different animals. Not sure how much experience you have with 2 strokes.

$4800 is kinda high for a 99 GP, which has the older hull before they switched to the GPR in 2000. Those hours are also kinda low, that is like 4hrs a year give or take. What does the screen show for hrs? Was there another reason he rebuilt it other than to "sell it for more"?

jocolo21

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
if you are looking for a gp1200 or 1300, i would stay away up until the EFI models as the carb years starved for fuel and seized the 3rd cilinder also those are known for droping the valve into the cylinder, yes its called power valve fyi. i have had both 2002 and 2007 the 07 was a beast and will run with stock SVHO skis.13139050_596171750533814_8735373924345624448_n.jpg

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I’m a fan of two strokes but $4800 seems high. Even more if the engine work doesn’t come with some sort of transferable guarantee.

They are simple to rebuild but stuff gets missed sometimes.

Jrock8

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
NA
if you are looking for a gp1200 or 1300, i would stay away up until the EFI models as the carb years starved for fuel and seized the 3rd cilinder also those are known for droping the valve into the cylinder, yes its called power valve fyi. i have had both 2002 and 2007 the 07 was a beast and will run with stock SVHO skis.View attachment 140659
Thank you! I’m not setting out to get one specifically, this one just popped up really close. I will look into that!

Jrock8

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
NA
A 99 GP1200 is a 2stroke engine. Totally different beast than the TR1 in the EX. Not knocking on the 2 strokes, i used to have one. Fun wise its probably the same but again, just different animals. Not sure how much experience you have with 2 strokes.

$4800 is kinda high for a 99 GP, which has the older hull before they switched to the GPR in 2000. Those hours are also kinda low, that is like 4hrs a year give or take. What does the screen show for hrs? Was there another reason he rebuilt it other than to "sell it for more"?
He says the screen now shows zero. The Yamaha dealer reset it with the rebuild. He said there was a cylinder issue, and when they went to sell it, it just wasn’t functioning at all, so they decided to gut and rebuild.

Jrock8

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
NA
I’m a fan of two strokes but $4800 seems high. Even more if the engine work doesn’t come with some sort of transferable guarantee.

They are simple to rebuild but stuff gets missed sometimes.
Yeah, I would definitely need to be Max 4K to consider. I’m sure he is just looking for double the cost of the rebuild, but that’s definitely not how used values seem to work haha.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
For $5k you can get a lot of skis that are not rebuild. the rebuild is as good as the person who did the job and I do not think you know him/her

Jrock8

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
NA
For $5k you can get a lot of skis that are not rebuild. the rebuild is as good as the person who did the job and I do not think you know him/her
Well it was done by the Yamaha dealer here, and he has full documentation. But I agree, I’m not sold on the idea yet, especially for the price. Which brings me back to the fact that I still have the deposit down on the 2021 ex d!

Elio195HOI

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Other
Sorry for bringing up an old topic, I recently sold a 97' GP1200, Fully rebuilt motor, resleeved Block, Over sized pistons, Carbs rebuilt, Ski was recently repaint and all new grips installed. Let it Go for $2500 and even that took some time to move.