• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

A few Questions before I Pull The Trigger

Jeffrodean

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Just wanted to say thanks in advance for everyone that has taken the time to contribute to the forum, reading your post have been a great help to me on making a decision on our next boat purchase. With that being said I still have a few question I am hoping someone can help me with. I'm looking at the 190 fsh sport and wondering can the jet drive be trimmed up and down to adjust for weight distribution like a traditional outboard with tilt and trim? also with proper maintenance what is the life expectancy of the motor? I've seen yamaha outboards get over 9000 hours and I'm wondering how these motors compare. Thanks again!

Earfixr

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
No trim function but none needed. My prior Waverunners had a trim and needed it. The FSH has almost no bow rise and stays very level at any speed.

Engine life has been discussed elsewhere but I can't find the link.

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
You'll probably get better responses then mine, but here is my take

1. no, you push the throttle and more water is forced out the rear giving you more thrust. The time to plane is very quick, I believe it is in the 3 second range. There isn't any other control over trim.
2. I believe the Yamaha engines should be among the very best in terms of longevity. Mine is only 40 hours old at this point and i don't have any issues. Since there are less moving parts in the jet setup, I believe it should be more reliable.

Some things to note, and as I said, others can weigh in.
1. for fishing, you would want a trolling motor, does the FSH come with one? If not, it is easily mountable? On my 192 there isn't an easy way to mount a trolling motor
2. Yes, the jet boats can go shallow since we don't have props to hit bottom, but in weedy terrain, you can suck up weeds through the bottom of the boat which would cause you to have to stop the motor, pull a plug in the transom area and pull the weeds. If you fish in heavily weeded areas this might be a concern

I think the pros are they are easy to maintain, reliable and quick to plane
The cons might be they are more gas hungry than a similar sized prop boat? The potential for weeds to be inhaled into the jet system.

Lastly, if I had to do it over again, I would go larger, but I would stay with the jet boat. I love not having a prop (for the kids) and I absolutely love the design. Make sure 19' is enough for you. They might come out with a 21' or 24' fish boat next year. (I have no idea just guessing)

highanddryinco

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
No trim function but none needed.
I asked that same question before I bought, got the same answer, was a little skeptical, but now I'm a believer...none needed. :D

Jeffrodean

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
What is your intended purpose for the boat and where will you be using it?
I'm in Jacksonville Florida so I'll be mainly in the river/ICW a little bit off shore not far, mainly me and my wife and dog occasionally will have friends on the boat. I'm just worried about not being able to level out with extra weight.

Jeffrodean

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
You'll probably get better responses then mine, but here is my take

1. no, you push the throttle and more water is forced out the rear giving you more thrust. The time to plane is very quick, I believe it is in the 3 second range. There isn't any other control over trim.
2. I believe the Yamaha engines should be among the very best in terms of longevity. Mine is only 40 hours old at this point and i don't have any issues. Since there are less moving parts in the jet setup, I believe it should be more reliable.

Some things to note, and as I said, others can weigh in.
1. for fishing, you would want a trolling motor, does the FSH come with one? If not, it is easily mountable? On my 192 there isn't an easy way to mount a trolling motor
2. Yes, the jet boats can go shallow since we don't have props to hit bottom, but in weedy terrain, you can suck up weeds through the bottom of the boat which would cause you to have to stop the motor, pull a plug in the transom area and pull the weeds. If you fish in heavily weeded areas this might be a concern

I think the pros are they are easy to maintain, reliable and quick to plane
The cons might be they are more gas hungry than a similar sized prop boat? The potential for weeds to be inhaled into the jet system.

Lastly, if I had to do it over again, I would go larger, but I would stay with the jet boat. I love not having a prop (for the kids) and I absolutely love the design. Make sure 19' is enough for you. They might come out with a 21' or 24' fish boat next year. (I have no idea just guessing)
Hey Michael thanks a lot for your comments very informative appreciate your time.

Jeffrodean

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
No trim function but none needed. My prior Waverunners had a trim and needed it. The FSH has almost no bow rise and stays very level at any speed.

Engine life has been discussed elsewhere but I can't find the link.
Thanks for your quick response I appreciate it

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
No need for trim with regards to bow rise as jet boats have almost no bow rise - which also means no waste energy raising that bow. Prop boats have bow rise because the outdrive is below the boat so when you first give it throttle what happens first is the whole boat twists with the bow going up-THEN forward momentum begins in earnest. Since the jet nozzles are on the transom, the thrust is all forward and none is wasted raising the bow.

Trim would be nice if you want to keep the bow down in chop....it would be great if Yamaha offered jet trim to do this. You can accomplish this effect by adding trim tabs (like you can with many boats) - tabs can also be used to level the boat port to starboard.

Yamaha engines are considered some of the most reliable ones out there!

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
^what @ClemsonTiger said! I have a SX190, same engine and hull as FSH. I had mine loaded with 1,800lbs of ballast bags testing for wake surf, got on plane and went 35+mph.
The only big drawback for me has been the harshness/loudness of the engine, there is no such thing as a pleasant quiet cruise. And the fit and finish is crap, but you can work it out.

@ClemsonTiger How do you find the range/fuel usage? I have been very pleasantly surprised. It compares favorably with my older similarly sized outboards, albeit these were 2-strokers, but still. Once you go to a supercharged version, your fuel consumption is up almost twice, but I do not find merit in an opinion that jet boats are less fuel efficient than sterndrives, based on my 1.8l N/A.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think jets aren't less efficient, at least not significantly. I think the cause is that most people with jet boat are using them in high RPMs for the majority of the hours running due to water sports, extra weight from ballasts..etc..etc.

Mine is extremely efficient; however, I spend the majority of my time between 3K-4K constant RPMs. Not alot of increase or decrease...which guzzles the gas.

It appears my jet boat days may be coming to a short end...nothing confirmed yet.
DO TELL!

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think jets aren't less efficient, at least not significantly. I think the cause is that most people with jet boat are using them in high RPMs for the majority of the hours running due to water sports, extra weight from ballasts..etc..etc.

Mine is extremely efficient; however, I spend the majority of my time between 3K-4K constant RPMs. Not alot of increase or decrease...which guzzles the gas.

It appears my jet boat days may be coming to a short end...nothing confirmed yet.
That was quick. . . . Details, Details. . . . = )

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Agreed on sales price for 2 seperate Scout boats. 1 New 225 XSF, 1 Used 245 XSF. Waiting to get estimates back on my trade in which unfortunatly looks like it will be a challenge.

Every dealer or broker I've spoken to is having a hard time estimating its value. Everyone has stated that it is a difficult boat to market and will take a specific buyer...which I agree with given that I am in the S. Florida market.

I'm going to take a beating on it...gonna be upside down by thousands...but it is what it is.
Are you considering private sale, or can you not hold 2 boats at once and need to make the trade? I would have to imagine you would be in much better shape with a private sale considering their popularity.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am considering private sale and have communicated with 1 person. I have already arranged financing for the new boat with my current boat loan as well. I can afford both payments but no one likes to pay for something they are not using. Also I will have to continue to pay for the storage of the FSH...it isn't alot per month but its still not fun shelling out cash if not needed.

Also I fear that the longer I hold the boat the greater the depreciation will be and also less time left on the 5 year extended warranty...multiple circumstances/scenarios, fluid situation, slight mayhem.
Sometimes it's easier to take the guaranteed short term beat, then risk the long term one. . . . . . Hopefully they give you a fair trade price to make the sale.

Billy Marlin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
The RPM's are a killer in these boats I hopped back in my buddy's Triton last week and once he gets on plane the boat only runs about 2000-3000 rpms going 45mph. For me to get to a spot I am running at about 6000-7000 rpms only going 22-25mph and burning around 7-8 gallons per hour. I can back it to around 20-22 and burn 6 GPH and with No Ethanol Lake Gas running around $80-$100 to fill up end up pulling the boat out and running to a gas station for fuel. It would be nice if they had a bigger fuel tank just to run off shore a few times only going out 5-10 miles I had to pull my boat and get gas during my last week long florida trip.

I moved my trolling batteries to the front of the bow so my front end comes down pretty quick. If I need more weight in the rear I can fill my livewell and move my 65quart cooler behind the captain seat.

For me this boat is working out pretty good running it on the local lakes 90% of the time and taking it down to Florida 10% of the time. If I was going to be on ocean more and not staying back in the bays I would probably get something a little bigger. Only because I am finding I like running off shore a little in search of big fish on the reefs.