• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

A little appliance Repair

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I started to put this in "show us what you see" but it turned into a book so I'll post it over here instead. :)

Here's what I saw yesterday:

My wife's reaction to seeing her most important tool in such a state:

So here's the story: The heating element on our oven went out about a month ago. Changing it was simple enough, but when I did so, I saw that the bottom of the oven had warped and steel had actually cracked. The replacement part came in last week and this is how far apart I had to tear things in order to install it.

On top of this, the thing started having another issue: Overheating. Twice in a three-month span the thing went over-temp on us. After the first incident, I ordered a new temperature probe. The second overtemp incident occurred last week on the same day the new bottom showed up. We stopped using the oven completely at that point.

(Now, I have to digress for just a moment. Those who know me know of my love for Thanksgiving It is my favorite Holiday. Tradition is a big deal to me and the fantastic turkey dinner that my wife prepares for us is second to none. With an oven starting to act a bit "janky" I've been growing ever more concerned about the possibility of a Turkey Dinner gone awry due to an equipment failure. Every morning I've glanced at the calendar and done the mental math to calculate when we'd have to place an order to make sure we had a new oven here by Thanksgiving Day. This weekend was do-or-die time.)

The mess pictured above was rock-bottom of the tear down. It actually did go back together fairly smooth. You just have to mind a lot of sharp sheet-metal edges and keep track of where every screw went. (There were a lot.)

During disassembly, I found the technicians guide and instructions to put the oven into test mode. This allowed me to test each relay as well as get a direct reading from the oven temperature probe. This would come in handy later.

After replacing the oven bottom and then the temperature probe, I fired it up to 400 Deg. Mozzarella sticks were baked without a problem. Still suspicious, I sat next to the oven with a flashlight watching the oven thermometer I had hung on the rack inside.

After about 30 minutes of waiting, I got what I was hoping to see: It was overheating again.

Now that I knew hot to put the system in test mode, I immediately did so. The temperature probe was reading the same high temperature I saw on the thermometer. This meant that the oven KNEW it was over temp, it just wasn't turning the burner off.

Then I hit the button to test the relay for the bake element. The normally loud "click" didn't happen. I tapped the button a few more times and was treated to the mushy sound of a relay with stuck contacts (25 years of industrial automation teaches you that sound).

I powered it down, unplugged it, and pulled out the control board. A quick look at repairclinic.com revealed the price of a new control board: $260. Ugh.

But wait.... The Broil relay and the Bake relay are the same part number. She never uses the Broil function.

So about 30 minutes later I had de-soldered both relays and re-soldered the Broil relay into the Bake relay location.

Everything went back together and she's been working perfectly ever since.

I jumped on Newark.com and ordered two replacement relays. Total cost is $11 and some change. The shipping was almost $6.

I'll change both relays after Thanksgiving so as not to cause any unnecessary down-time.

So here's my theory of what happened:

The relay must have been sticking closed intermittently for a long time. I noted that "normally" even when the oven is pre-heating it cycles the bake element on-and-off. This is probably to keep the temperature rise at a controlled rate and allow them to use thinner, cheaper material in the oven's construction.

With the relay sticking only occasionally, it likely caused localized overheating at the oven-bottom multiple times. The overheating led to the bottom of the oven warping and cracking. This would also lead to premature failure of the burner element itself.

An Autopsy of the failed relay revealed that the contacts were pretty gummed up:
(I had done a little bending and flexing to inspect at this point. That piece on the right is normally vertical. You can see the "smokyness" on the inside of the case.)

So, in the end, I don't think I needed a new temperature probe, but I do think I'm going to have to put those relays on a 3 year replacement PM schedule.

We can't have an equipment failure interfering with my stomach!

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Very nice write-up!

This is exactly the sort of stuff I find myself doing a lot of and I thought I was the only one "silly" enough to still want to fix things in this throw-away society we seem to have become. My Dewalt cordless shop vac died a while ago because I sucked up too much water with it while repairing a stuck toilet valve. Dewalt repair center said they couldnt fix it for less than a new one would cost. So I took it home, tore it apart and found a blown fuse that was soldered to the board. I removed it, soldered in an inline fuse holder with replaceable fuse and put it back together. Works great and easy to fix if I ever flood it again.

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Very nice write-up!

This is exactly the sort of stuff I find myself doing a lot of and I thought I was the only one "silly" enough to still want to fix things in this throw-away society we seem to have become. My Dewalt cordless shop vac died a while ago because I sucked up too much water with it while repairing a stuck toilet valve. Dewalt repair center said they couldnt fix it for less than a new one would cost. So I took it home, tore it apart and found a blown fuse that was soldered to the board. I removed it, soldered in an inline fuse holder with replaceable fuse and put it back together. Works great and easy to fix if I ever flood it again.
Yup. Years ago I replaced a blown MOSFET in my Dewalt variable speed random orbit sander. No problems since.

Once you start doing this kind of stuff you get better at it.

I always figure, "It's broke now. So if I do nothing, I'm buying a new one anyway. It's worth my time to try."

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Wow....impressive!!!!!

I'm always too chicken to mess with things that can go BOOM inside the house! (gas oven). I'll mess with other things.....disassembled my brother's dishwasher and repaired it on my last visit there. The internet and how to videos sure make tackling these things less scary!

RightStuff

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Funny that you posted this, have a similar issue with a wine fridge that stopped cooling a couple weeks ago. Found out thru some Googling and YouTube watching was it could be 2 things, a relay on the compressor or the circuit board with the temp sensor. Replaced the relay, still didn't work ($9 part, oh well), so I tried by-passing the circuit board and sure enough the compressor kicked on. Unfortunately, the board part is $70+/shipped, but still cheaper than a new fridge and the wine needs to be chilled!

On top of that here's what else I have replaced and got working again:
- Dishwasher's main motor
- Fridge's ice maker X 2
- Washing machine's tub bearing (that looked like your oven pic...total massacre! :wideyed:)
- Washing machine's water pump (did at the same time as the above)
- Hot water heater's release valve (fun clean-up when that fails and it's not hooked up to a drain!)
- Hot water heater (completely went out a while after the valve was replacement, cold showers suck...)

In the end as long as you can narrow down to the part that needs replacing it's not that hard or expensive to service appliances. Amazing what parts you can buy for appliances online...

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
This is covered in another thread....but I was getting ready to replace my garage door opener as it was becoming a PITA by not opening often from the remotes.....

Someone here suggested it might be LED bulbs in it interfering with reception. Sure enough, swapped the bulbs to incandescent and problem solved! GOTTA LOVE that kind of "fix"!

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Wow....impressive!!!!!

I'm always too chicken to mess with things that can go BOOM inside the house! (gas oven). I'll mess with other things.....disassembled my brother's dishwasher and repaired it on my last visit there. The internet and how to videos sure make tackling these things less scary!
I'll be honest, I'm usually too chicken to start, but "Frugal Me" says "No way we're not trying. There's too much money on the table." Once I have things opened up, it's almost always easier than I expect.

Keep in mind that I'm an Electrical Automation Engineer by trade so I make my living tearing things I've never seen apart and putting them back together to get almighty production up and running. Nowadays I spend more time on the system architecture and project side so I'm usually the last stop-gap in the chain of troubleshooting after the electricians and younger engineers have taken a swing at it. I typically get called to come on-scene when things look worse than that oven picture.

I guess what I'm saying is, this probably wouldn't have been a good job for a beginner / new homeowner to take on. It's important to know what you DON'T know about how the thing works to make it operate safely (no BOOMs) when it's all back together. Also, it's important to understand electrical safety so that you don't inadvertently kill yourself.

Don't be afraid to try, just be careful and know your limits!

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Great write up. Electronics are simpler once someone understands how the different components do and why. My uncle is to blame for my electronics hobby. He bought me one of those giant Radio Shack electronics project kits when I was in the 6th grade. I have yet to meet an appliance that I could not repair although some do put up good fights. For those of you with kids that like building or tinkering there are Ardunio project kits, DIY rc car kits, diy multi rotor (quadcopter/drone) kits, and more that could make a great gifts. I am so jealous of the toys that are out there today.

I do second the safety comments. Removing a capacitor without being discharged could be more than hair raising.

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
The good old days of Lincoln logs and erector sets, and every town had a radio shack that you could just go buy parts and make stuff. In th e90’s you could buy a receiver and listen to cell phone calls for the first 10 years or so of their use. Then in the early 2000’s you would only get one side of the conversatio, but if you had 2 receivers you could scan and hear both sides. It was great entertainment.