• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

About that new E-Series bimini top .....

ptwb

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm having second thoughts about the new e series bimini. At first I really liked it, but now I don't think so, not at least until Yamaha posts more info. It looks like one big welded piece and it seems like the only way to get it is with all that extra framing just to hold up those two solar panels that I have absolutely no interest in. It's only offered on the E-series.

The other more primary issue is that while it's huge, it's also very very high, to clear the ski rope, that we don't really use that often. When it's that high up, if the sun is not directly overhead, it may not actually be providing as much shade as a lower smaller bimini. Maybe if it was adjustable so that when not doing watersports it could be lowered or angled to provide more shade when the sun is not directly overhead?

Another post mentions it's removable but no other info and it doesn't look like it will be light or easy to handle.

FL sun can be brutal and there are times one has to sit on the opposite side to get full shade and not end up with a burned shoulder. In those situations, this new e bimini seems like it will just make things worse. I'd like to see a bimini design with flaps or wings or something that can be swung out or attached to the sides to provide that much more shade.

I like the design though. But so many questions. Makes me want to go buy some tubing and make my own!

I really want to see what it looks like to trailer an e with the bimini down, uh, and I guess that means tower also, and if a cover will even ever be available for trailering with both down. At best, I have a feeling the tower itself lowers just within and below the windshield top edge and the bimini pivots and sits on the windshield edge. Now put a cover on, but how will a cover fit over those panels and that top light without getting worn out and ripped? And then what about wakeboard racks? And then there's garage storage. Assuming it can even do any of the prior, once stowed in a garage, it won't be easy to move around the inside of the boat anymore.

I have a bad feeling, I hope I'm wrong, that while the tower may be able to be lowered (on an AR240), Yamaha doesn't really intend it to be lowered for trailering or storage(on an E) because of the solar panels and typical trailering covers will just fit around the tower base like they do now. If so, I don't like the idea of trailering and storing with the bimini always out. I hope this is not the case, but Yamaha may be expecting those panels to always be out in the sun. If that bimini is always out for storage and trailering, in FL, that bimini will get ruined and worn out from bugs, sun, etc in no time.

I hope Yamaha will upload more pics soon showing that there is a way to have the best of everything with this new bimini design.

bimini.jpg

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Editted by me now that I am at home:

An official answer on the bimini top from the dealer meeting which is still going on.

The bimini top
CANVAS can be removed, and it is is supposed to be removed for trailering, but it does not appear to be not an easy task.

Now: If that canvas is removed, that does mean the structure of the bimini top still stays in place. Not a pretty sight.

This is not an answer virtually any of us wants to hear. I feel sure there will be more to come on this as real additional facts come forthcoming.

Many Best Wishes (otherwise), Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

Last edited:

fraserjr

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
official answer on the bimini top from the dealer meeting which is still going on.
the bimini top canvas can be removed and is supposed to be removed for trailering but it is not an easy task.
if that canvas is removed the structure of the bimini top still stays in place.
that is not an answer virtually any of us wants to hear
Wow, if the canvas is supposed to be removed for trailering, that is really going to upset a lot of owners. I always kept my boat in a slip, but even then I didn't like leaving the bimini up. It just seams like it would shorten its lifespan prematurely. If I was trailering every outing and then had to take the fabric off at the ramp before heading out, that would be a tedious task to say the least. Especially if it isn't easy to do. Add to that, that if you are out on the water and want the sun, you are left with a skeleton of tubes that look like they are missing their skin, that would just be weird. I am really not sure what Yamaha was thinking on this one....

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
official answer on the bimini top from the dealer meeting which is still going on.
the bimini top canvas can be removed and is suppossed to be removed for trailering but it is not an easy task.
if that canvas is removed the structure of the bimini top still stays in place.
that is not an answer virtually any of us wants to hear
Wow. Just...wow.

@MikeyL usually has good intel on the Yamahas. If that turns out to be true, strikes me as a major miss by the normally clever design team at Yamaha.

craigm

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had one of the first tops like this in the industry on my 2006 Supra. It was the Z51 option or something like that.
They said to unsnap the canvas when I trailer as well, however it was a huge pain and after the newness wore off I just left it on.
Towed it many time from Minneapolis to Table Rock Lake 600 miles one way several summers and never had an issue.
I am sure it will add stress to the structure however Supra's towers are much thicker and heavy duty than the Yamaha's.
The Supra version was made to hold tubes, floats and other stuff with straps. If the Yamaha had designed in some storage for on lake use it would be nice.
I like the look of it for sure, it just has to be easy to use.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If the boat travels close to 50 mph in the water, I would not worry about removing it unless I am on a 60mph or more highway. But that's my opinion based on speculation of how its constructed.

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
If the boat travels close to 50 mph in the water, I would not worry about removing it unless I am on a 60mph or more highway. But that's my opinion based on speculation of how its constructed.
And of course, the tower can also be easily "folded down" quickly for trailering.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That's it! We need to attend the dealer meeting every year ... boots on the ground intel is best!

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

fraserjr

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
OK...got an image with the tower folded with the bimini....so this answers some questions for some...like...yes...it is going to be harder to fit under a low garage door opening.

View attachment 27969
I wonder what keeps the tower from flying up when trailering (assuming you leave the bimini fabric in place)? Do these folding towers lock in place in the folded position?

Never mind, I guess you could trailer with it up and then lower the tower when you get to your garage/storage area.

Last edited:

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
I wonder if it is as simple as taking this thing off for good and just buying the 2015 bimini and adding it to the tower. The tower looks to be the same as the 2015's. Just a thought, I am not in the market but I lean towards the "missed the mark" on this one.

ptwb

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
OK...got an image with the tower folded with the bimini....so this answers some questions for some...like...yes...it is going to be harder to fit under a low garage door opening.
Thanks for posting the pic!

I no longer want this top. IMO, not a trailer or garage storage friendly design. I'll agree it looks very nice but not practical or functional and burdened with I'm sure are highly marked up cheap solar panels that I don't even want. I don't think this was well thought out.

The solar panels appear to add a few inches that could be the deal breaker for those with garages (like me, and I have an 8'3" opening). Looks like it could go lower, a shame if that's really as low as it goes. Worse, assuming one can get it into the garage, they can't walk around the inside of the boat anymore.

Billtex2000

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
There are a few things about the E series that make me say, "WTF were they thinking?" Trying not to care thought because I'll never be buying a $72,000 boat with built in soalr panels and a bimini that doesn't fold.

jlcj7

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Swing and a miss on this bimini in my opinion. I agree it looks ok when up, but i am one of those people who doesn't use the bimini much, unless out with kids...

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
And of course, the tower can also be easily "folded down" quickly for trailering.
I'm pretty sure that Yamaha says that I should not trailer with my 2015 AR240 tower folded.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
We rarely boat without the bimini up, and since it looks like it has bungee like fittings (and not sure what else) holding the material on, it I were buying it, it would probably come off after each use (assuming putting it on again is easy).

I can tell you from being on the boat....I really liked the coverage! The tiny biminis of the 2015s was a problem for me...too hot here in Raleigh not to have max coverage. Was very glad we had it up while we were testing the boat!!!

Billtex2000

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
They should have made it a hardtop and they could have piled a ton of s**t up there! Radar, solar panels, inflatable life boat ;) Then they could have jacked the price up to $82,000. I'm sorry, I don't mean to be a wise ass, but it's non functional, impractical and ugly. Was it built around the solar panel idea or the other way around? I can't imagine who thought it was a good idea. Has anyone mentioned the covering issue? Is it only meant to be kept in dry storage? Bow and cockpit covers included? Mooring cover? Trailering cover?
st310_run146.jpg

Billtex2000

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This is how Crownline and Chaparral did it. A nice arch that looks classy for a luxury boat. Again...up the price tag and the solar panels could have been integrated into the arch. Just my opinion. If you're going for luxury, don't half-ass it. Tow points are above the bimini and at least the Crownline folds. Not sure about the other.crownline_255ss_biminitop_2015_big.jpg arch-radar-b-01-ssx.jpg

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
From what I can tell from looking at the picture that was just posted the canvas coming off is going to be about as easy as putting up the canvas on the 2015 242 LS. It is not hard but not fast either. I will shoot video footage with instructions as soon as I can get my hands on one.

Our new 2016 FSH Sport has a bimini top (technically it is a T-Top Canvas) which is easy to remove. It has a stainless steel ratchet strap system like their covers and it goes on an off like a glove over a hand. Pretty simple and no complaints here.