• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

About the water in ski locker

702mireles

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Everyone this is the official answer from Scarab about hot water in the ski locker. Just for the record my 195 HOI has been a absolute beast! I love this boat and can't wait to buy the 25' twin. I have 31 hrs on it and also have taken it on very choppy weather for long runs. My only concern was the hot water and now I'm at ease. If I was a New Buyer I would say go for it. Its A awesome boat and I love waving at the yamaha AR192 guys as I pass them! below is the answer from Scarab. NOW GO BUY THAT SCARAB!!!!!!

Thanks Bobby!

The water that you’re seeing comes from under the motor, therefore it will be hot as the engine is close, and will travel forward, and back. It will eventually work its way back to the bilge pump depending upon the level of the boat. This locker is designed as being a “wet” storage area….It was always intended to allow water from the skis or wake boards, or rain water to find its way back to the bilge pump.

No real cause for concern here. A simple aftermarket plug will resolve it from flowing into this area while boating. In fact, I have a plug that I can send you that should work, and I will order it for you right away. Is there any special address that I need to send it? Or to the same location we sent the rotor? Please advise when you can. Thx!

Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns with regards to this.

Kindly Yours,

Michael J. Stefani

Product Service Representative

Rec Boat Holdings, LLC

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Everyone this is the official answer from Scarab about hot water in the ski locker. Just for the record my 195 HOI has been a absolute beast! I love this boat and can't wait to buy the 25' twin. I have 31 hrs on it and also have taken it on very choppy weather for long runs. My only concern was the hot water and now I'm at ease. If I was a New Buyer I would say go for it. Its A awesome boat and I love waving at the yamaha AR192 guys as I pass them! below is the answer from Scarab. NOW GO BUY THAT SCARAB!!!!!!

Thanks Bobby!

The water that you’re seeing comes from under the motor, therefore it will be hot as the engine is close, and will travel forward, and back. It will eventually work its way back to the bilge pump depending upon the level of the boat. This locker is designed as being a “wet” storage area….It was always intended to allow water from the skis or wake boards, or rain water to find its way back to the bilge pump.

No real cause for concern here. A simple aftermarket plug will resolve it from flowing into this area while boating. In fact, I have a plug that I can send you that should work, and I will order it for you right away. Is there any special address that I need to send it? Or to the same location we sent the rotor? Please advise when you can. Thx!

Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns with regards to this.

Kindly Yours,

Michael J. Stefani

Product Service Representative

Rec Boat Holdings, LLC
Excellent response from the company!

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Mike is full of shit.... and his "plug" is a patch for a real problem that he has no clue what or where its from.

Here is the truth, and I have said it over and over. If you have enough water to enter the ski locker area, you are taking in water from somewhere. The bilge float switch turns on at approx 1-1 1/2 " lift from the flap. The ski locker's drain hole is about 1" from its bottom. So if you are getting water in the locker, that means there is almost 2" of water under the engine. Tell me how that is normal?

This is a classic case of "let's make this uneducated/clueless customer happy, and hope his warranty runs out soon".

Its almost like someone telling you the bilge pump is always working because its cooling the supercharger, and its pumping out the warmer water.

I have never EVER had ANY water in my bilge, or ski locker. EVER unless it comes from a frontal wave or my hose while washing the boat.

702mireles

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Mike is full of shit.... and his "plug" is a patch for a real problem that he has no clue what or where its from.

Here is the truth, and I have said it over and over. If you have enough water to enter the ski locker area, you are taking in water from somewhere. The bilge float switch turns on at approx 1-1 1/2 " lift from the flap. The ski locker's drain hole is about 1" from its bottom. So if you are getting water in the locker, that means there is almost 2" of water under the engine. Tell me how that is normal?

This is a classic case of "let's make this uneducated/clueless customer happy, and hope his warranty runs out soon".

Its almost like someone telling you the bilge pump is always working because its cooling the supercharger, and its pumping out the warmer water.

I have never EVER had ANY water in my bilge, or ski locker. EVER unless it comes from a frontal wave or my hose while washing the boat.
I don't know @ScarabMike and surely value ur opinion. Call me uneducated as I surely believe I am in this boat. PS. I NEVER SEEN WATER EVER IN MY BILGE PUMP AREA TOO. But if this guy is saying this is the design on email and I suddenly take a catastrophic failure on the boat. Well it won't be a good day for Scarab as I will lawyer up in a heart beat... Mikes customer service on replying back has been very good. I hope he isn't BS me. Especially after you say you never took on water ever...

Slugger55

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
@ScarabMike is correct. Mike Stafani is trying to save face for Rec Boat Holdings. I have talked to this idiot on the phone many times and I simply get the brush off. My "water in the locker issue" was a carbon seal going bad because some other idiot who called himself a BRP Tech didn't tighten the motor mounts correctly and didn't align the drive shaft. Mike Stafani says, "It isn't a factory issue. You need to go after the dealer who fixed it." WTF! He should have been jumping through his A** to help a customer out. Don't believe the dude...

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a hard time believing this also although I've never seen a BRP motor but have heard numerous dealer/mfg "stories" to pacify people.

How far up in the air are the motors? On the yamahas you would need at least 3-4 inches of water for them to touch any part of the motor and if you have that much water you've got other more important issues to address.

Is he saying just the heat from the motor is making the water hot even though it's not physically touching it? I'd need to see a test to believe that.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Can't you just have someone do like 20 mph while you stick your head in there and see where the water is coming from?

Slugger55

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
If it is the Carbon Seal you only need to back the boat into the water and leave it on the trailer . You will see the leak..

CARBON SEAL 2.jpg 10387.jpeg

DJMattyT

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I have water in my ski locker quite a bit but (call me crazy for it) I have tasted the water numerous times to make sure its not salt water. I have yet to taste salt in it which makes me believe mine is from the hose when washing the boat.

Slugger55

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
@DJMattyT if you store your boat outside with the covers it came with it is probably rain water. And you are right about the water from your hose...

ToonToJet

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I have this same issue on my 2014 195 Impulse. I also notice a trickle of water coming into the ski locker from the drain plug when I run the bilge pump? The amount of water never raises above the plug and my bilge exits the water when I manually force the water over the drain with a towel. Recently, I've even seen a little bit of an oil slick in the locker immediately when I stop the boat after a long day on the water which has me concerned. My drain plugs are bare bones dry ever time I take the boat out of the water. Does this sound like the carbon seal issue discussed here @ScarabMike

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@ToonToJet Sounds like you have accumulated rain water in there. The oil sheen is from contact with engine parts, or protectants. You'll know when its a carbon seal issue. The water will match the water of the body of water you are on, it will be hot.

Rusty Fishook

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
These answers have me a bit nervous now that I searched "Water in my Storage"..... I had a good amount 1/3 filled up .bilge pump actually turned on automatic when I turned the battery switch on. Once the water got lower I had to flip the dash bilge switch to keep it pumping out. Time to invest in a Hoist or garage it for the winter to figure this NEW problem out. I hope its a warranty issue thats gets fixed. I'm glad to forum is here for info - Thanks all

Janosjanosjanos

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 ID
Boat Length
These answers have me a bit nervous now that I searched "Water in my Storage"..... I had a good amount 1/3 filled up .bilge pump actually turned on automatic when I turned the battery switch on. Once the water got lower I had to flip the dash bilge switch to keep it pumping out. Time to invest in a Hoist or garage it for the winter to figure this NEW problem out. I hope its a warranty issue thats gets fixed. I'm glad to forum is here for info - Thanks all
I also getting water in ski locker, it back fills from engine bay. I wondering where the water from the engine bay is coming from. I'm think about putting a one way valve in. It still leaves the question why am I getting water. Is there a transom hole for drainage, with a plug, or my case no plug or leaking. I am struggling to find out whether there the water gets in from the rear of the boat. I keep mine on the water all year, so difficult to inspect

Slugger55

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I also getting water in ski locker, it back fills from engine bay. I wondering where the water from the engine bay is coming from. I'm think about putting a one way valve in. It still leaves the question why am I getting water. Is there a transom hole for drainage, with a plug, or my case no plug or leaking. I am struggling to find out whether there the water gets in from the rear of the boat. I keep mine on the water all year, so difficult to inspect
Take your boat to the boat launch and back it in until the transom and pump are submerged. Make sure the engine bay is dry and bilge plug in. Get a good flashlight and look all the way back where the boot covers the seal. If water is coming in it means you Carbon Seal is toast...