• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

about to buy a 2017 AR 210

Rufusthedog

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi,

I've been following this forum for awhile now and wanted to say thanks for all the great content. This is my first post.

I'm considering purchasing an AR 190 from a dealer brand new.

I'm thinking new (and a late in the season boat) hopefully should be the best bet for a low-maintenance no surprises boat. Also I was told I would have a 3 year engine warranty, and 1 year full warranty.

This is my first boat, and I'm a little nervous about doing too much work on it so I'm thinking I'll probably bring it to the shop for everything, even oil changes/etc.

Also, if the 2017 AR 190 was having serious issues I believe we would have heard by now.

The sticker price (per Yamaha's site) is at 29,999, however does not include dealer prep or freight.

The dealer has me at 32,995 including the freight and prep. Then there is a 293.00 "final make ready fee". They are throwing in a starter kit (4 life jackets, anchor, 100 ft rope, maybe some other things), although it's not listed on the purchase agreement. Is any of this negotiable, and should i negotiating? They have two AR190's on the lot and one AR195, I had been considering both.... the 2018's will be announced shortly, will they be discounting these 2017's this late into the season?

I'm also considering driving 100 miles down the road to another dealer, who has the same boat on their website for 30,249. I'm just worried if I do that, and need to leverage a warranty claim, i don't want to be driving back and forth 100 miles to handle that.

Last item, I'm a bit freaking out about driving with a trailer... it's going to take some practice but I'm a cautious driver in a crazy driver city so... there's that. I just want to get a lot of practice in on an empty parking lot before i get to a crowded boat launch.

These are the things I've been thinking about, curious what anyone on here thinks.

Thanks in advance, -Rufus

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hi,

I've been following this forum for awhile now and wanted to say thanks for all the great content. This is my first post.

I'm considering purchasing an AR 190 from a dealer brand new.

I'm thinking new (and a late in the season boat) hopefully should be the best bet for a low-maintenance no surprises boat. Also I was told I would have a 3 year engine warranty, and 1 year full warranty.

This is my first boat, and I'm a little nervous about doing too much work on it so I'm thinking I'll probably bring it to the shop for everything, even oil changes/etc.

Also, if the 2017 AR 190 was having serious issues I believe we would have heard by now.

The sticker price (per Yamaha's site) is at 29,999, however does not include dealer prep or freight.

The dealer has me at 32,995 including the freight and prep. Then there is a 293.00 "final make ready fee". They are throwing in a starter kit (4 life jackets, anchor, 100 ft rope, maybe some other things), although it's not listed on the purchase agreement. Is any of this negotiable, and should i negotiating? They have two AR190's on the lot and one AR195, I had been considering both.... the 2018's will be announced shortly, will they be discounting these 2017's this late into the season?

I'm also considering driving 100 miles down the road to another dealer, who has the same boat on their website for 30,249. I'm just worried if I do that, and need to leverage a warranty claim, i don't want to be driving back and forth 100 miles to handle that.

Last item, I'm a bit freaking out about driving with a trailer... it's going to take some practice but I'm a cautious driver in a crazy driver city so... there's that. I just want to get a lot of practice in on an empty parking lot before i get to a crowded boat launch.

These are the things I've been thinking about, curious what anyone on here thinks.

Thanks in advance, -Rufus
First off they cannot deny working on your boat and they will not. Yamaha can day a claim. I bought my boat 100 miles away with no issues. You can always negotiate with the dealer and ask them to match the price.

Have you pulled a trailer ever before. When my father taught me to back a trailer. He had me put my hand at the top of the wheel and which ever way my hand goes the trailer goes that direction. Just go slow. Pulling can be intimidating, just make sure you stay in your lane and make wider turns.

Rufusthedog

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Have you pulled a trailer ever before. When my father taught me to back a trailer. He had me put my hand at the top of the wheel and which ever way my hand goes the trailer goes that direction. Just go slow. Pulling can be intimidating, just make sure you stay in your lane and make wider turns.
Thanks for the response, I've mostly driven with a trailer when I moved cross country, but that was pretty much just highway roads. This city is pretty busy at times and I think I'll be alright I just need to take it slow.

Also, good to know on the warranty work, I'll give the other dealer a ring.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Rufusthedog

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was in your shoes about one year ago. Are you buy any chance located in Texas ?
Yup, I'm in Dallas.

After that tower post now I don't know what to think.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yup, I'm in Dallas.

After that tower post now I don't know what to think.
I don't expect your tower to collapse, but at the very least I wanted you to be aware. Especially, if you ever think you might end up taking the boat to Bimini.

I would say lets go out for a ride on my sx240 because I was very close to getting a 190, but ended with a 240 and I would like to go over some of the decisions points I had to make.
Anyway, I am planing on outing with @Jp127 who is also thinking about getting a jet boat and wants to see how they drive.

I have heard only good words about Phil Dill, but boy it aint cheap to get a new boat.

Rufusthedog

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm pretty sure I won't be taking the boat to bimini... but at a minimum maybe i'm thinking maybe i should be looking at other jetboats... it seems the yamaha's are the most popular.

After researching that collapsing you mentioned it looks like some folks have even had problems while towing on bumpy roads... scary stuff.

I'll msg you to see if we could do a ride.. so you were considering a 19 foot boat and jumped up to a 24?

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Are you even the slightest bit mechanically inclined? If not even you can do oil changes and maintenance on these boats. Trust me there is no need going to a dealer for maintenance or oil changes unless you just want to literally throw away hundreds of dollars.

Yamaha dealers in general don't really negotiate too much or come too far from MSRP like other traditional boats out there. The best time to buy one would be during the winter boat shows if you're looking for any discounts, otherwise they typically with throw in items like they told you and might waiver some questionable "fee's" to sweeten the deal but otherwise don't expect huge savings on these boats as they nearby sell them all each year so there is plenty of demand.

Large empty parking lot sounds like a good idea to get familiar with trailering. Practice lots of backing up. Keep one hand on the wheel at the bottom when backing up and whichever direction your hand goes the trailer will follow. Understand that trailering makes your vehicle handle different because of the load. An empty trailer will not feel the same with the boat on it so drive slower and more cautious with the added weight as it takes longer for the vehicle to react (swerving, braking, accelerating, etc). Take wider turns as it's very easy to misjudge the length if you're at a gas station and it can get a little tight. Always remember to stop and retry if you feel you might hit something rather than be stubborn and then that's when people hit stuff.

Best of luck on your boat shopping and welcome to the forum!

Last edited:

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Rufusthedog
sorry been stuck with work. A couple of quick things.

Saturday August 12 there is lake texoma gathering. It will be a good place to mingle with other experienced jetboaters. We are planing on going, we are more than welcome to join.

Yes, I did get 240 instead of 190 for 2 reasons. 1 i wanted to go to BIMINI and 2 I got a 240 with 26 hours and $7000 worth of upgrades for the same price I would get get an SX190 from the dealer. The only disadvantage I see, that I cannot park it in my garage and had to buy a truck for towing. Other than that, fuel is 2-3 times more expensive, but I am okay with that.

In terms of towing, I have no idea what your driving skills are, but we can find out. When we go at the lake, we can put the boat in the water and you can take the truck and trailer for a spin. Patience and practice makes perfect. My wife is learning to back the trailer in the water with the boat. And my wife is Asian ( yes I can say that because I am married to her and my kids are asian too). LOL

In regard to maintenance, it is really really easy. I I will be changing spark plugs and oil/filter at some point in September/October. You are more than welcome to come and see. I can do one engine you can do the other.

https://jetboaters.net/threads/texoma-gathering-aug-12.14721/

Rufusthedog

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@haknslash Yeah, i guess i'm moderately technically inclined, just never tinkered with a boat. and the idea that something i'm touching a wrench to can sink is horifying. I'm sure i'll be alright... I've worked on motorcycles and cars a bit and have done oil changes, and even brakes a few times.

@Betik thanks so much for the offer, however I'm not going to be able to get out to texoma as much as I'd love to. We have a 2 year old and our boat outings are going to be breif at most for the first few years... crying/etc. means home time.

I'm going for a test drive on Thursday this week... I'll you posted. If all goes well maybe I'll spend the weekend in an empty parking lot so i don't frustrate anyone else at the boat launch.

Thanks again for being a great community and all the helpful responses.

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Most dealers never budge on price but you should get a lot of extras thrown in, no delivery or prep fees either. I got 5 year warranty, galv trailer, coast guard package, Deluxe premium mooring cover, Wet Sounds XS65i speakers, 2 ss rod holders drilled out in the back, anchor, bumpers, dock pole. Maybe wait til the shows start in the winter or the 2018 start arriving.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

TS4811

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have the 2017 SX210 and love it. The only thing I would suggest you look at is the anchor locker drain. Make sure it gets sealed up.

I hope you enjoy yours!

Rufusthedog

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok, we did it. Out on the water last weekend and had a blast. Trailer towing, launching, etc. no sweat. I don't know what i was so afraid of.

FYI, Phil Dill was good to work with too.

Thanks everyone.

boatboat.jpg

TS4811

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Congratulations!
Where are you boating?

Rufusthedog

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Congratulations!
Where are you boating?
lake ray hubbard when my 2 year old lets us. :)

We plan on venturing to other lakes at some point, but first on my list would be a spare tire for the trailer.