• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Adding 2nd House Battery - 2020 242x

RSki

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I apologize in advance, but didn’t see the straight forward answer I was looking for on other threads. I just picked up my 2020 242x, and like most, the house battery can only handle 4-6 hours of running the stereo.

I want to add a 2nd house battery to help. What needs to be done to my stock setup to add a 2nd house battery? Do I need to add another switch or can I just add another battery in series to my existing house battery and nothing more?

Also, I see a lot of people getting the AGM Group 27 or 31 batteries. Can I run two different house batteries in series? (Stock batt and new AGM battery)? Sorry, not an electrician by any means 😆

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
If you add another battery in series you will be pushing 24 volts, not a great idea. You’ll fry everything. A second battery in parallel would be a better idea, and you could in theory add it in parallel to the existing and be fine. Then both house batts would be on one switch and the starter separate. That’s probably the easiest method.

ShesCrafty

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Does the 242x have the solar panel? That could do the trick. 4-6 hours of constant float mode, with stereo and transom shower compressor in use, barely puts a dent in my house battery level (242SE)... but it could be that your X model is running a second amp.

If you add a third battery, maybe test the added weight while on the water first. Make sure your boat doesn’t list to an extent that is bothersome to you.

RSki

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
If you add another battery in series you will be pushing 24 volts, not a great idea. You’ll fry everything. A second battery in parallel would be a better idea, and you could in theory add it in parallel to the existing and be fine. Then both house batts would be on one switch and the starter separate. That’s probably the easiest method.
That makes more sense!

RSki

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Does the 242x have the solar panel? That could do the trick. 4-6 hours of constant float mode, with stereo and transom shower compressor in use, barely puts a dent in my house battery level (242SE)... but it could be that your X model is running a second amp.

If you add a third battery, maybe test the added weight while on the water first. Make sure your boat doesn’t list to an extent that is bothersome to you.
Yes, it has the singular solar panel. I think it trickle charges both batteries. Unfortunately after further review....they installed two starting batteries! Ugh 🤦🏻‍♂️

Attachments

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
2 starting batteries is a pretty typical move from dealers because they're cheaper. I'd start with just replacing your house battery with a Group 31 AGM. Mine lasts all day.

Philip

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
No issue if you run regular battery and an AGM?

RSki

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I ended up with two AGM batteries in parallel. It now lasts all day (8 hrs) on the lake. I still have the annoying battery alarm if I shutoff the start battery. Key on or off, still get the alarm, even if using the Fushion head unit to power it on...

Attachments

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I ended up with two AGM batteries in parallel. It now lasts all day (8 hrs) on the lake.
Do you have a battery charger? Most likely they won't get topped up by the charging system unless you have a long drive back to the dock.
I still have the annoying battery alarm if I shutoff the start battery. Key on or off, still get the alarm, even if using the Fushion head unit to power it on...
This is normal, the alarm is saying you have a start problem - there's no reason to shut off the start battery as the Switch/ACR isolates it from the house and does not drain it down while playing tunes. It's only purpose is to start the engines. You can confirm this with the battery voltage readings on the Connext. If everything is working properly, the house voltage will drop while the start does not.

Merlion

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I ended up with two AGM batteries in parallel. It now lasts all day (8 hrs) on the lake. I still have the annoying battery alarm if I shutoff the start battery. Key on or off, still get the alarm, even if using the Fushion head unit to power it on...
What deep cycle batteries did you install in your boat? (I also have the 242x and I’m concerned about the linitted space given the ballast box