• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Adding a second batter Question

jgn1013

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This is current single batter setup.
IMG_0266.jpg
Is this the correct wiring if I wanted to add another battery with Blue Sea battery switch?
BoatWiringDiag.PNG
Thanks

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@jgn1013 It only has three studs on the back of it? Mine had 4. Perhaps different model? Are you also getting the ACR with it to automate the charging of both batteries, so you don't have to screw with the switch? I used buss bars to clean up all the negatives and positives as well.

jgn1013

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes. I see it is a different model than what I have.

Amazon.com: Blue Sea Systems 7650 Add-A-Battery Kit, Beige (7650-BSS): Sports & Outdoors

Anyhow, you diagram appears correct for that switch. I would add buss bars, if you are so inclined to clean it all up.

Preferably though I would personally not use that switch. I would isolate my cranking and bilge on battery 1 and then house and everything else on battery 2 and use the switch and ACR that I linked. Which is what I did. I don't know your specific use case. That way I could split the draws on the batteries and combine them when needed. Different scenario's for different purposes.

jgn1013

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yes. I see it is a different model than what I have.

Amazon.com: Blue Sea Systems 7650 Add-A-Battery Kit, Beige (7650-BSS): Sports & Outdoors

Anyhow, you diagram appears correct for that switch. I would add buss bars, if you are so inclined to clean it all up.

Preferably though I would personally not use that switch. I would isolate my cranking and bilge on battery 1 and then house and everything else on battery 2 and use the switch and ACR that I linked. Which is what I did. I don't know your specific use case. That way I could split the draws on the batteries and combine them when needed. Different scenario's for different purposes.
Do you have a wiring diagram available? I just want to be able to run stereo without worrying about not being able to start the boat later in the day.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@jgn1013 I do for my setup, I use the switch I linked. In your scenario you are drawing the stereo and other things either off of 1st battery or second battery or both, but you have to switch to make that happen. In my scenario I am always drawing engines and bilge off of First Battery, and the Stereo and other electronics are always drawing off Second Battery, The only time I would ever combine mine is in an emergency. So I turn my switch on and off I go for the day. The ACR alternates charging between the batteries. Below is what I did. You can see the busbars which clean up the positive and negative. Optimally this is the way you want to do it so you have a dedicated Starting Battery and a Dedicated House Battery, each doing their own thing, but can be combined in an emergency.

Wiring and Battery Addition | JetBoaters.net - The World's Largest Jet Boat Forum!

In your scenario you would have to switch it every time with that switch or leave it on combined all the time, which is not recommended. Your switch is different and can't be wired the way I use mine. Your wiring diagram for your switch works. But everything will either be pulling on Battery 1 or Battery 2 or Both in combined mode.

Last edited:

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@jgn1013 I use the stock cranking battery for my engines and invested into a good Deep Cycle AGM for the electronics and Stereo to give me better run time.

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It is personal preference with pros and cons to each. I isolate my two batteries. I run on whichever one I select and keep the other as an untouched reserve. I also have the ability to combine; but that would only be in an emergency just to start the engine after everything went wrong twice. Our outings run 4-6 hours on the water, so with the light use, I prefer to get a deeper cycle on one at a time rather than barely task two.

jgn1013

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@jgn1013 I do for my setup, I use the switch I linked. In your scenario you are drawing the stereo and other things either off of 1st battery or second battery or both, but you have to switch to make that happen. In my scenario I am always drawing engines and bilge off of First Battery, and the Stereo and other electronics are always drawing off Second Battery, The only time I would ever combine mine is in an emergency. So I turn my switch on and off I go for the day. The ACR alternates charging between the batteries. Below is what I did. You can see the busbars which clean up the positive and negative. Optimally this is the way you want to do it so you have a dedicated Starting Battery and a Dedicated House Battery, each doing their own thing, but can be combined in an emergency.

Wiring and Battery Addition | JetBoaters.net - The World's Largest Jet Boat Forum!

In your scenario you would have to switch it every time with that switch or leave it on combined all the time, which is not recommended. Your switch is different and can't be wired the way I use mine. Your wiring diagram for your switch works. But everything will either be pulling on Battery 1 or Battery 2 or Both in combined mode.
Thanks again for the help. I'm OK with just moving the switch over to 2 when I dock in the cove. KISS

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@jgn1013 Then you should be good to go.