• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Adding a wakeboard tower

machurch

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hello all, I have a 2008 232 Limited and I would like to add a wakeboard tower. I have looked at the Monster Towers but have some concerns about how it will mount. It appears as though it will need to be a side mount which raises concern about the strength of the hull. I like the look but that design really puts alot of stress at the 4 mount locations as they are close together. Another option is the OEM tower for the 2009 Limited S however, Im not sure if it will work. Any Ideas, suggestions, resources? Thanks!

FlyNavy76

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I added an after market tower on my Sea Ray. It mounted on the sides. I reinforced the mounting points by using marine plywood and some fiberglass. Had it on there for 3+ years and didn't have any issues with gel coat cracks or anything.

machurch

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@FlyNavy76 What brand tower did you install? Did you do it yourself?

FlyNavy76

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I used a Joystick tower (http://www.joystickwakeboarding.com/pro-series/). I wasn't looking to spend a fortune on a 10 year old boat. I did the installation myself (with help from my father-in-law). Pretty simple. Hardest part was running the wires for speakers and anchor light.

YamahaForMe

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I've got a 2007 SX230 with an aftermarket tower. @OperationROL (the PO and installer) can probably tell you where he got it and how he mounted it and maybe even provide links to better pictures. I have no concerns about strength. Its been on there a long time.

Cheers,
Steve

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hello all, I have a 2008 232 Limited and I would like to add a wakeboard tower. I have looked at the Monster Towers but have some concerns about how it will mount. It appears as though it will need to be a side mount which raises concern about the strength of the hull. I like the look but that design really puts alot of stress at the 4 mount locations as they are close together. Another option is the OEM tower for the 2009 Limited S however, Im not sure if it will work. Any Ideas, suggestions, resources? Thanks!
Going with the OEM, if you can find one for that boat is the best bet. You mount it into factory reinforced points - the hull is the same for l and ls - the best way to go.
Having mounted three towers in three different boats I would always choose the tower mounts on top of the cap, the best structural rigidity, at least in yamahas.
Your boat is large and it is going to be relatively difficult or expensive to find non-OEM that will satisfy you completely.

FlyNavy76

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Going with the OEM, if you can find one for that boat is the best bet. You mount it into factory reinforced points - the hull is the same for l and ls - the best way to go.
Having mounted three towers in three different boats I would always choose the tower mounts on top of the cap, the best structural rigidity, at least in yamahas.
Your boat is large and it is going to be relatively difficult or expensive to find non-OEM that will satisfy you completely.
I agree with going the OEM route, if the $$ isn't an issue. As far as structural concerns go, you can always beef up the side of the boat with more fiberglass that extends well beyond the mounting locations if you HAVE to mount it on the sides. This is done all the time and, done correctly, shouldn't be an issue. I used more surface area than this video, but here's the typical process . . .

TOGA

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have a Monster MTK on my 2006 230SX. It is top mounted at the suggestion of the Yamaha engineer for my year model. They state that the top side is the strongest by design and is already the thickest and most reinforced.

I am lucky that I am within driving distance of Monster. I could not find a person I felt was credible to mount the tower in my area and asked them who they would suggest. After some good discussion with them and them understanding I would drive a couple hours, they referred me to "the guy" that works on their boats. They are located in the boat manufacturing mecca in Tennessee.

I contacted "their guy" who happens to work to for Malibu. He knew the engineer at Yamaha and asked for his input.

He mounted topside with some additional support below. Been pulling for two years on the tower and haven't noticed even the slightest budge in the tower and no spider cracks or other issues from the mount. Have not had to retighten or adjust anything. We pull for wake boarding, tubes and surf start from the tower.

Not sure when hull design may have changed to know if your model would be different, but wanted to share my experience with my model boat.

luckie_529

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have used monster tower and big air towers. Reinforced with plywood at mounting points. Towers go on sale this time of the year making it the best time to buy.

Chillypilot

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I found a used OEM tower for my 09 SX230 and mounted it myself last spring. I had the same concerns as you about aftermarket towers. By the way I love having a tower.
image.jpeg