• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Adding Ballast to 242 E Series

ChrisLLM

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
So, I'm considering installing automated ballast into a new 219 242 E-Series. I love the styling of the e-series vs the X and also want a faster fill and heavier overall amount of ballast vs. stock X. So, I'm happy to spend a little less on the boat and pay to add the ballast afterwards. Curious if anyone else has done this?

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
There are several members in here with 24' boats that have their own custom ballast system. @swatski @dan144k are two just off the top of my head. I'm sure others will chime in. If you want to see what others have done you can go into the Watersports forum and then do a search for something like "pump" and you'll run across their threads among others. It's expensive or can be depending on what all you plan to do but plenty to read about in their threads and posts in that forum section.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So, I'm considering installing automated ballast into a new 219 242 E-Series. I love the styling of the e-series vs the X and also want a faster fill and heavier overall amount of ballast vs. stock X. So, I'm happy to spend a little less on the boat and pay to add the ballast afterwards. Curious if anyone else has done this?
What @haknslash said, there are several good setups. Mine is piecemeal-ed here and there I think
https://jetboaters.net/threads/2016-240-ballast-setup-question-valves.12541/page-8
but you can get an idea. It is crazy fast and simple, which I like.

However, consider that Gatlin Swim Deck bag (@jcyamaharider) has been a godsend. We can surf ropeless with just that (properly set), the Wedge, and the center locker.

https://jetboaters.net/threads/wakesurf-speed-and-settings.19381/#post-332809
https://jetboaters.net/threads/21ft-and-24ft-transom-ballast-bags-in-stock.17784/page-4#post-329538
https://jetboaters.net/threads/custom-swimdeck-ballast-bag-project.14048/page-15#post-317111

--

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Sounds like all you really need is the swim deck bag and a full bag in the ski locker from what I have heard on the 24’s.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sounds like all you really need is the swim deck bag and a full bag in the ski locker from what I have heard on the 24’s.
I would say this is correct, with the Wedge.
That said, I will add this (based on personal experience/preferences):
  1. personally, I hate "throw overboard" pumps, I have zero interest in messing around with those while looking for a 12v plug. Good to use those to get things going of course! - when trying to decide if surfing is even of interest before installing anything more permanent. But after that, even the swim deck bag with its simple set up is too much (albeit we do not know any way around it, currently).
  2. Plumbing center locker vs plumbing center locker and two rear lockers does not triple the work. The majority of time in my case was spent in the design/figure things out stage.
  3. Go simple. No additional intake/outlet/splitter valves - the reversible pumps function as valves. No splitting the lines. One intake/outlet, one line, one pump, one bag - operated by one manual 3-way switch.
  4. NO vents, no vent valves. Add later if feel the need.
--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
One more thing.
I would go with the WakeMakers pre-assembled electrical harnesses. Saves a ton of time and safety concerns, unless you at @Mainah level with your wiring skills (most all of us are not even close). Those seem expensive, but if you go that way you will probably be glad.

I'm still searching for the best spot to mount my aux pump switch - for the swim deck bag... There is no ideal place for it, drives me nuts. Mine is still jury-rigged to the tower leg as I can not decide...

--

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I will chime in since called out and do have some slightly differing opinions. For surfing the custom swim deck bag from gatlin is a must in my opinion. A throw overboard pump would be best for this bag as you have to pull out the bag anyway and cenetrifugal impeller pumps (submersible) move more water than vane impeller pumps (mounted in the boat). A center bag will help too as for this I would recommend a vane impeller pump permanently mounted with an intake and a one way valve on the exit.

I have not tried it yet but for wake boarding but I am starting to think that two custom swim deck bags along with an 800 lb ski locker bag may be the ticket to the best wakeboarding wave. I have two 400lb underseat sacks but am now of the belief that they don’t provide enough influence in that location and swim deck bags are the ticket as much as they are a hassle.

You will save yourself lots of time with the wiring products from wakemakers. If you know what you are doing with wiring and have the right stuff on hand I still recommend doing it yourself. Remeber that marine wiring likes to come loose or corrode so solder and/or marine heatshrink make good long lasting connections using tinned copper wire.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Has anyone tried running with two Gatlin swim deck bags completely full?
I’ll bet money the boat will NOT get up on plane. Curious though...

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We are missing something with this wake surf business and our jet boats. I don’t know what it is but we are missing something out.

With the jets and the power available on tap in these boats it should be possible to generate monster wave.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I don't think you would even get the boat up to surf speed with 2 transom bags full.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Like I mentioned I have not tried it as I don’t own custom swim deck bags yet. For wakeboarding we fill the two 400lb under seat bags and the 800lb ski locker bag for 1600lbs total. With the 1600lbs of water ballast and about 1000 lbs of people ballast we still get the boat up to wakeboard speed. Driver has to be careful not to cavitate and the rider has to patient, strong, and skilled but it works. This is why I figure the two swim deck bags may work depending on people ballast for wakeboarding.

Of course as we know things don’t always work out in a linear fashion with these boats so interested to see results if someone tries it.

jcyamahariders wife

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Has anyone tried running with two Gatlin swim deck bags completely full?
I’ll bet money the boat will NOT get up on plane. Curious though...

What about the transom bag in the middle of the swim platform ?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What about the transom bag in the middle of the swim platform ?
That could work. But there is no way a stock 240/242 would get up to surf speed and/or pop up on plane with two swim deck bags full, I think.

It maybe, maybe, possible with the help of trim tabs - basically dropping those down to help lift the stern out of the water on hard start, and then once plowing over 10mph tabs can go back up and the boat will keep going. But even that is not certain in my mind, and that is running with L13s and a Riva ECU tune for a little extra help...

--

Last edited:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
2600 pounds of ballast is not created equal. You will be able to get 2600 pounds up and out of the water with it distributed throughout the boat. Put 1600 pounds on the swim deck, not a chance. You ever see the driver walk up to the nose just to get the weight up front for a second, then when on plane or surf speed walk back??? Yep, done that countless times.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
2600 pounds of ballast is not created equal. You will be able to get 2600 pounds up and out of the water with it distributed throughout the boat. Put 1600 pounds on the swim deck, not a chance. You ever see the driver walk up to the nose just to get the weight up front for a second, then when on plane or surf speed walk back??? Yep, done that countless times.
Good to know. I do wonder what kind of wakeboarding wave the customer swim deck bag would create if placed in the center of the swim deck as @jcyamahariders wife suggested vs two 400 lb underseat bags. Has anyone tried it and taken video with a rider both ways?

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Good to know. I do wonder what kind of wakeboarding wave the customer swim deck bag would create if placed in the center of the swim deck as @jcyamahariders wife suggested vs two 400 lb underseat bags. Has anyone tried it and taken video with a rider both ways?
At wake boarding speeds ballast would probably make more of an impact at midship to rear since you would want to push more of the hull into the water. You wouldn’t want it all on the rear. Wake boats have a center plate they deploy for wake boarding which basically causes the stern of the boat to raise out of the water which effectively pushes the rest of the bow down into the water = more hull displacement at planing speeds = bigger wake. Those of you with trim tabs should play around to see if you can make your wake bigger but for a jet boat that also means potentially throwing more jet wash spray since the pumps would be aimed higher. Adding some bags of lead (steel shot) to place weight in areas bags consume too much room would help too and further shape the wake.

Last edited:

ChrisLLM

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
There are several members in here with 24' boats that have their own custom ballast system. @swatski @dan144k are two just off the top of my head. I'm sure others will chime in. If you want to see what others have done you can go into the Watersports forum and then do a search for something like "pump" and you'll run across their threads among others. It's expensive or can be depending on what all you plan to do but plenty to read about in their threads and posts in that forum section.
Thanks a ton for the response!

ChrisLLM

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
This sounds like a great and straight forward approach - "go simple. No additional intake/outlet/splitter valves. One intake/outlet, one line, one pump, one bag - operated by one manual switch."

Thanks a ton for all the comments and suggestions everyone!

My plan is to do three bags: Port under seat, Starboard under seat and center locker. I just got off the phone with Brian at Wakemakers and he walked me thru the bump/ballast system stuff. Quick question for you guys, what sized bags did you put in each location? Port, Starboard and Center Locker? I have a 2019 Limited S E-Series - I don't think Yamaha changed anything structurally from the 2017/2018 boats so anything that worked in last years boat will work in this years.

Excited about this approach. Thanks again for all the advice!